losing vacation going from pt to ft

scooter4me

I'm a pt cover driver. I am going to full time soon, another driver that just went to full time said you lose your vacations when you go full time. Been pt for 12 yrs, got 3 weeks vac and an option week. Would really suck to go back to zero but I want the guaranteed 40 hrs per week. Gonna talk to the union steward asap just wondered what you guys knew about it.

Jj1213

Need that full time
I'm a pt cover driver. I am going to full time soon, another driver that just went to full time said you lose your vacations when you go full time. Been pt for 12 yrs, got 3 weeks vac and an option week. Would really suck to go back to zero but I want the guaranteed 40 hrs per week. Gonna talk to the union steward asap just wondered what you guys knew about it.
This happened to me you keep your vacations and can take them but you will be paid pt hr for the vacation
Also when trying to make book the union recommends you work your vac until you make book

PT Car Washer

The way I always understood it was you will get paid for your PT vacations this year and earn your FT vacations for next year. Yeah it does suck to being the bottom guy again. You will still keep the number of weeks as that goes by company seniority.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

For us, you get paid all sick/personal/vacations when you go FT, but you are allowed to take your scheduled vacations without pay. Seniority isn't broken for us by going FT. You should check your supplement to see what applies to you.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

Additionally, if you're a PT cover, you will get paid 8 hours at your progression rate for using a sick/personal/vacation day. When you go FT, your remaining days will be paid 3.5 hours at your pt rate.

PT Car Washer

For us, you get paid all sick/personal/vacations when you go FT, but you are allowed to take your scheduled vacations without pay. Seniority isn't broken for us by going FT. You should check your supplement to see what applies to you.
Your company seniority may not be broken for the number of vacations but a person with 1 year PT and 2 years FT still has seniority over a person with 10 years PT and 1 year FT seniority.

scooter4me

Yeah I know that your FT seniority date is what they go by for full time drivers. The driver I was talking to went full time before me because I didn't sign the bid list last time. I have about a month seniority over him part time but he's ahead of me now. I'm cool with that because he's a good friend whose been cover for over 7 years and I just went cover last year. Do I have to go through another 30 days of worrying if I will be disqualified? What happens then, do I go back to cover or pt in the hub?

PT Car Washer

I would think that if you have been a PT cover driver for the last year (whatever that is) your management team must think you are good enough for FT. Unless you do something really dumb. Otherwise you would be wasting every ones time by trying.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You don't "lose" it but it gets cashed out. You will go to zero time until the next time your fiscal year starts so for me I was cashed out at my part time hourly rate and then all my time went to 0 until the next May 1.

PT Car Washer

You don't "lose" it but it gets cashed out. You will go to zero time until the next time your fiscal year starts so for me I was cashed out at my part time hourly rate and then all my time went to 0 until the next May 1.
We are past that. Now the question is if he DQ's for FT package car can he still drive PT cover driver or does he go back to the hub?

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I was hired PT in Oct of '81. When I went FT in Feb of '87 I lost those months between October and February. The only thing that part time and full time accumulates for is company seniority. So, if the company were to go and start laying off people, your TOTAL time with the company will come into play.

It was quite funny for me as I got a look at the company seniority list in one of the buildings (Meadowlands) I worked at once. Those 5+ years I had in PT put me #6 on the list and there were many other employees with more full time years than me.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Do I have to go through another 30 days of worrying if I will be disqualified?
Yes--when you win a full time slot, you have to qualify for 30 working days, regardless of what TCD/air driving you've done.
What happens then, do I go back to cover or pt in the hub?
You said you are a part time cover driver. Do you mean TCD(Temporary cover driver)? TCDs usually work a full day but are not guaranteed 40 hours and can't make seniority. The only part time driver I've heard of is an air driver. Anyway, if you're a true part time air driver I would assume you'd retain your air driver status if you got DQd as a full time driver. If you're a TCD (and in my area we can't use them this time of year) then here you'd be sent back inside to your old hub job.