Loss of seniority?

brownman0611

Why did I lose my 22.3 combo seniority when I bid into another 22.3 combo job? I was the first person in our center to take one of the 22.3 jobs in 05/2000. When one of the 22.3 jobs became available because someone retired, I was awarded the job based on my seniority within the 22.3 combo class. Now they are telling me that my seniority date fell when I took the new position? Now my seniority date is 03/2011
Any help would be appreciated...

Sent using BrownCafe App

gorilla75jdw

Your seniority fell to the bottom of your new job which probably is in another classification . In my hub we have 3 different combo classifications , they are : air driver/inside , shifter/inside and inside/inside . For example I'm in the shifter/inside classification , if I were to bid into inside/inside or inside/air classification I would then fall to the bottom of that classification . It's kind of like if you were a full-time package car driver and chose to bid into the feeder department , even though your already full time , you might think your seniority would place you right next to somebody else in that classification with a similar seniority date but it wouldn't . Your in a new classification and you go to the bottom of that seniority list within that classification . This is how it works in Central States region for a fact . Hope this helps .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Some local have agreement that if you bid into another classification you go to the bottom of the board for a period of time. I think it ridiculous. Senority is senority and that's one of the thing we should always have.

brownman0611

Have your 22.3 combo jobs always been represented as different job classifications? The combo jobs here have always been represented as one class. What would be the benefit to make a switch into a different combo job? As a driver, you can switch routes based on seniority without losing your seniority... This makes absolutely no sense...

Sent using BrownCafe App

gorilla75jdw

Have your 22.3 combo jobs always been represented as different job classifications? The combo jobs here have always been represented as one class. What would be the benefit to make a switch into a different combo job? As a driver, you can switch routes based on seniority without losing your seniority... This makes absolutely no sense...

Sent using BrownCafe App
There could be multiple benefits to switching classifications . One might be your unhappy with your current job and want to do something different . Another could be more desirable hours , such as a 9am to 5pm type job ( believe it or not they do exist) . Another could be you no longer can physically do your current job, some other classifications have Sunday thru Thursday jobs , maybe you don't want to work around or amongst the people you work with now ( management and hourly). I know these might seem lame as reasons , but they are all valid reasons . At my hub we have approximately 85 combo jobs that are split within 3 different classifications . I have seen and heard all those reasons and more for switching classifications. If you are at the bottom of the totem pole in your current seniority list , what difference would it make to go to the bottom of another jobs seniority list ? I am number 4 out of 17 on my seniority list in my combo job , I sit pretty when it comes to vacations , my hours suck although I get plenty of overtime , I'm usually working 5pm to 5am , but if I knew I could get another job with 9a to 5p type hours I would go in a heartbeat even though I would go to the bottom of the new classifications seniority list . I haven't worked day hours since 97 after the strike . Just my story , hope it sheds some insight into the how's and whys people switch jobs .

Sent using BrownCafe App

brownman0611

There could be multiple benefits to switching classifications . One might be your unhappy with your current job and want to do something different . Another could be more desirable hours , such as a 9am to 5pm type job ( believe it or not they do exist) . Another could be you no longer can physically do your current job, some other classifications have Sunday thru Thursday jobs , maybe you don't want to work around or amongst the people you work with now ( management and hourly). I know these might seem lame as reasons , but they are all valid reasons . At my hub we have approximately 85 combo jobs that are split within 3 different classifications . I have seen and heard all those reasons and more for switching classifications. If you are at the bottom of the totem pole in your current seniority list , what difference would it make to go to the bottom of another jobs seniority list ? I am number 4 out of 17 on my seniority list in my combo job , I sit pretty when it comes to vacations , my hours suck although I get plenty of overtime , I'm usually working 5pm to 5am , but if I knew I could get another job with 9a to 5p type hours I would go in a heartbeat even though I would go to the bottom of the new classifications seniority list . I haven't worked day hours since 97 after the strike . Just my story , hope it sheds some insight into the how's and whys people switch jobs .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sent using BrownCafe App

By The Book

Why did I lose my 22.3 combo seniority when I bid into another 22.3 combo job? I was the first person in our center to take one of the 22.3 jobs in 05/2000. When one of the 22.3 jobs became available because someone retired, I was awarded the job based on my seniority within the 22.3 combo class. Now they are telling me that my seniority date fell when I took the new position? Now my seniority date is 03/2011
Any help would be appreciated...

Sent using BrownCafe App
Sounds to me like you won your 22.3 combo job by seniority within the classification you were in. Now your in another classification with a different seniority list. You will retain all your company entitlements, such as amount of vacation. That being said I wonder if you now pick vacation based on your seniority within your current classification. I'm also wondering if you were to bid to something else would you use your current seniority date or your 5/2000 seniority date?