Lost a feeder driver in St. Louis today.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Greg was a great man and a great friend to everyone who knew him. He will be missed.

Alderman Gregory Carter killed in pileup on Highway 370 | ksdk.com

oldupsman

Gosh, what is that, our 3rd fatality this year? I remember being told by a safety manager once we average 4 or 5 a year. Be safe out there people.
My condolences to the family.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Looking at the pictures, I came away with a few thoughts. First, the trailers he hit HAD to be packed with a heavy, heavy load. The driver he hit said he felt something bump hit rig. The pictures of the trailers our guy hit don't look real ****ed up. It looks like the cab absorbed all of the impact. I mean, it's hard to tell what is what of the cab. That is not good. Second, no matter if you are a feeder driver or a package car driver, pay attention to your following distance. It's far to easy to let your attention drift off. None of us is immune to it. The pictures of this cab are proof positive of what could happen if we lose focus. **** UPS. Safety first is for us, not them. UPS hammers us with safety issues, but always considers the bean counting the most important issue of them all. Anytime UPS says something about performance to us, our first response must always be, "Safety is what I'm concerned about." NO EXCEPTIONS

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Read in the comments that the driver was 2 miles from his hub. You never know when something can happen. Always plan to make the last stop-- the one where you walk into your home.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
GD.

I will be the first to say because it hurts and it is the GD truth.

What happened?

Following distance?

Where the hell where his eyes?

Escape route?

Two adult children lost a role model and a dad.
A wife lost her husband, her lover ...
A community lost a leader...
and we lost a co-worker...

Safety folks.
Do it for that door you open at the end the day

I am mad.
This was a needless loss and each and every one of us know exactly what didn't happen behind the wheel of a tractor in St Charles.

God Bless us all and God Bless the broken heart brother and sisters at UPS.

Prayers
AJ

over9five

Staff member
The accident is still being investigated, let's not throw our brother under the bus.
My thoughts:
Were the second tractor trailers brake lights working?
Perhaps the second tractor trailers light cord fell out.

No reason to place blame yet.

GD.

What happened?

Following distance?

Escape route?

Safety folks.

I am mad.
This was a needless loss and each and every one of us know exactly what didn't happen behind the wheel of a tractor in St Charles.

Prayers
AJ

The only thing this driver is guilty of right now is being human and thereby imperfect. Maybe he did fail at what you say. Or maybe despite doing everything right something happened and he was off by a few seconds of catching it in time.
I have been in his shoes. Making a big run, or short ones too numerous to count. I've been fatigued off my feet yet never so much has missed a beat. I have been wide awake and well rested and "wake up" 10 miles down the road with no real recollection of those miles.
Only he knows for now and IF he made a mistake he has answered. for it. If someone else has made a mistake hopefully they will answer for it. Until then there's no one on this forum that can pass judgement.

browned out

Easy with the jumping to conclusions and what seems to be ingenuious concern. The first statement should be more in line with "condolenses, rip, deepest sympathy. None of us know exactly what did or did not happen behind the wheel of a tractor in St Charles. Show the compassion that this fellow employee deserves and show his family some respect. I dont know if this driver had a heart attack, stroke or other health issue

Bless this fellow UPSer and bless and help his family thru this horrendous time.

What happened?

Following distance?

Escape route?

Safety folks.

I am mad.

Prayers
AJ[/QUOTE]

outta hours

My heartfelt condolences to the family and all involved in this tragedy. I feel that it is highly inappropriate, and self-righteous to discuss ones theory of what caused this accident at this time. Unless you are a trained accident investigator , who was on the scene of this accident. I implore you to withhold all theories, comments, and judgments. Speculation or opinions on his responsibility or liability for the crash are way out of line.

My thoughts on that are what if the deceased drivers family or friends were to read any of these posts. It's possible. Maybe he was a member of this forum, or a Google search of him shows a link to this thread. It is a shame that the mindset that we have allowed to be instilled in us by management, is that it is always the drivers fault. And that there is something that we could have done to prevent it. The focus now should be on what was known about this driver. That he was a dedicated worker, who did this job for a long time supporting his family. A family man who was well liked and respected in his community. His legacy should not be defined defined by the tragic way in which he perished.

Bad things happen out there on the road, especially at night. I can't tell you all the close calls I've had. Wrong way drivers, drunks, weather, etc. All factors are increased at night and by hauling 80,000 pounds down the highway. It is by the grace of God that I get home safely each day. That goes for all drivers. So I urge all of you to think before adding to this thread. The callous attitude of pointing out the potential errors in judgment, or action of the driver serve no beneficial purpose here. Thank you