Lost Opportunity for good comeback

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I (along with most people reading this right now I'd imagine due to the post-holiday fallout) had a crazy dispatch today. 190 stops in 5 different route areas as a split route, most of it woods & countryside. The truck for this route was used for early-AMs so it got back late resulting in me leaving 40 minutes after my start time. The computer said it was about 15 stops over the max. This split route had windshield time of over 30 minutes to get to one of the sections from one of the other sections and about 20 minutes another time, plus a couple smaller "connecting" drives, plus about a total of 45 minutes of drive time for the to and from the center. By the way, most of the driveways were a few football fields long and couldn't be driven up.

Sooo, you now have most of the background. When I saw the dispatch this morning I told my sup "see you at 11pm" and he gave me static....

Anyway, the point of this post was the message I got from OMS tonight. "____ (on car sup) wants you in by 9pm."

I couldn't think of a good smartass response at the time. What would you have sent back?

UPS Preloader

I (along with most people reading this right now I'd imagine due to the post-holiday fallout) had a crazy dispatch today. 190 stops in 5 different route areas as a split route, most of it woods & countryside. The truck for this route was used for early-AMs so it got back late resulting in me leaving 40 minutes after my start time. The computer said it was about 15 stops over the max. This split route had windshield time of over 30 minutes to get to one of the sections from one of the other sections and about 20 minutes another time, plus a couple smaller "connecting" drives, plus about a total of 45 minutes of drive time for the to and from the center. By the way, most of the driveways were a few football fields long and couldn't be driven up.

Sooo, you now have most of the background. When I saw the dispatch this morning I told my sup "see you at 11pm" and he gave me static....

Anyway, the point of this post was the message I got from OMS tonight. "____ (on car sup) wants you in by 9pm."

I couldn't think of a good smartass response at the time. What would you have sent back?

OK, I'll deliver the rest of the packages tomorrow!

Good ...Im starving...Please order me a large pizza with extra cheese!!! See you at 8.59........................CORNHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Same here. It's 10:27 and I'm eating supper. Never mind that I got home, mowed and trimmed the lawn, cleaned up, met the wife and in laws at a tavern, drank beer and got spanked by the gambling machines and rolled into the house at 10:10.

BrownArmy

Non-smartass response: "This is how many missed packages I will have".

Smartass response:

"Oh good. 9 pm.
I've already missed dinner.
Many, many missed."

(I dearly wish we could include exclamation points/question marks when sending back messages...)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wouldnt have said anything. I would have just worked as instructed, returned to the building by 9:00, recorded my remaining stops as "missed", punched out and gone home. Their plan, their fail. The next time you warn him that you will be out until 11:00... he might pay attention.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A smartass comment to follow up your previous smartass comment may not have been your best choice.

Assuming the message was sent "response required", I would have chosen "Option 2" and then made sure I pulled in to the bldg right at 9pm. As far as sheeting the rest of the packages as missed, which would be the right thing to do, that wouldn't happen in my center. They would grab a scanner and exception code the packages, most likely as EC.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The DIAD should have a exception code "missed" button for these type conditions. All work not done gets scanned at once in mass. Would make things so much easier.

As for comeback, "U-P", Leave off the -S- for service"!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The DIAD should have a exception code "missed" button for these type conditions. All work not done gets scanned at once in mass. Would make things so much easier.

...or they could properly staff and dispatch the areas to avoid situations like this...

All work done would get scanned by the mgt team with the exception code EC.