Low seniority, full time driver forced to work local sort after delivery? Is this allowed?

DriverMD

Lately when I've finished my route, a ft driver sup would essentially tell me to help with the local sort shift. Is this allowed even IF they are short staffed?

trickpony1

Don't get back to the building so early.
Take all your meal and breaks. Don't work off the clock. Follow the methods.

Are they paying you driver rate to work the sort? I wouldn't think that would last very long......

By The Book

Lately when I've finished my route, a ft driver sup would essentially tell me to help with the local sort shift. Is this allowed even IF they are short staffed?
In most cases extra work goes by seniority. There may be a higher seniority driver who they are not using so they can have you do it for less money. If you aren't at top scale this saves them money. Maybe another full time driver who wanted the it can file on it, if he didn't have the opportunity to do that work. Sometimes you have obligations after working the day shift and can't work after your finished with the route. Also if one of the local sorters is on layoff they shouldn't be using drivers.

box_beeyotch

Don't get back to the building so early.
Take all your meal and breaks. Don't work off the clock. Follow the methods.

Are they paying you driver rate to work the sort? I wouldn't think that would last very long......

Yeah you get overtime for it at time and a half since driver is your primary job title. They cant force you to work though unless their short and everybody below you on the seniority list is already working. But really their supposed to ask senior drivers first....not force.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building, when they are short on the local sort, they send out a message via the green light of death that extra work is available. I usually unload my own car those days and clock out. If they do not get enough volunteers, they force from the bottom up. My 1st year, I worked the preload most Fridays before I went on route.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Is this allowed even IF they are short staffed?
Yes. We do it pretty regularly. Which is comical to me. I can't double shift PTers, but it's perfectly fine to pay a full scale driver 50 bucks an hour to do the same work.
I usually unload my own car those days and clock out.
As a local sort sup, thank you. You have no idea how much this helps me.

Overpaid Union Thug

We have extra work bid sheets for local sort and also for preload that drivers can sign. There are currently about 10 signatures on both but only one or two of them are people that ACTUALLY WANT to work and would if they got the call. The rest are just hoping to file on the work should a lesser seniority driver get the call. Vultures! LOL!

UPSGUY72

You shouldn't be force to work a position different that the one your in but apparently that's not the case in some areas.

Just remember you still can't work more than 60 hr a week or 14 hours in one day.

box_beeyotch

Yes. We do it pretty regularly. Which is comical to me. I can't double shift PTers, but it's perfectly fine to pay a full scale driver 50 bucks an hour to do the same work.

As a local sort sup, thank you. You have no idea how much this helps me.

It's allowed to go down the list and ask for help but they cant force you to do anything. If the company would hire enough employees and stop dicking around waiting for the last second they wouldnt have this problem. Realistically I guess it's asking too much of HR to do their Damn job.

PT Car Washer

It's allowed to go down the list and ask for help but they cant force you to do anything. If the company would hire enough employees and stop dicking around waiting for the last second they wouldnt have this problem. Realistically I guess it's asking too much of HR to do their Damn job.
It's a minimum wage part time job with no benefits.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

We can force you if we go from the bottom.

It isn't so clear cut as to why we are short. Like Friday, a bunch of people called in because they decided they wanted a 4 day weekend. So we should have a bunch of people in reserve for days like that? I staff 10% over our general need which covers vacations and call outs. But if a large group decides they don't want to work, I have no choice but to ask drivers to unload their trucks.

It isn't always about the company being cheap.

box_beeyotch

We can force you if we go from the bottom.

It isn't so clear cut as to why we are short. Like Friday, a bunch of people called in because they decided they wanted a 4 day weekend. So we should have a bunch of people in reserve for days like that? I staff 10% over our general need which covers vacations and call outs. But if a large group decides they don't want to work, I have no choice but to ask drivers to unload their trucks.

It isn't always about the company being cheap.

None of that means Jack :censored2: to me. Just being honest. The reasoning doesn't matter to me, all that I know is regardless of job or rules you cant force me to do anything I don't want to do period.