Low seniority wins a Mon-Fri bid.....Saturdays????

iruhnman630

Our center recently bid a Monday through Friday training route. Because it is a training route, only a few bottom seniority drivers signed the bid.

Apparently they were told they would still need to work Saturday due to seniority, and somebody else would do their route on Monday.

This completely contradicts the understanding that any high seniority driver who signs a Tue-Sat bid must work Saturdays!

I'm curious to see how this one plays out. Higher seniority drivers have been passing up better routes that are being converted to saturday bids when they open.

Box Ox

Our center recently bid a Monday through Friday training route. Because it is a training route, only a few bottom seniority drivers signed the bid.

Apparently they were told they would still need to work Saturday due to seniority, and somebody else would do their route on Monday.

This completely contradicts the understanding that any high seniority driver who signs a Tue-Sat bid must work Saturdays!

I'm curious to see how this one plays out. Higher seniority drivers have been passing up better routes that are being converted to saturday bids when they open.

Tell management they can shove all that up your as* if and when concessions in the next contract allow it. Until then, not gonna happen.

lolbr

Around here there are bumps on Mondays, but only from Monday-Friday drivers whos routes aren't in. Tuesday-Saturday drivers can't use their seniority to bump Monday drivers. They had their chance to bump off Saturday routes before the first Saturday.

Verify this with a steward as I haven't been put in a position to try it: If you are getting bumped, tell them you want your show up pay. Just be prepared to work if they make you. This should get you a punch which should count as a day. Work the other four days and it should make Saturday a sixth day.

Jondlc

Whats the problem with training routes? Theres a training route open in my center and nobody wants to bid for it. I would bid but the fact that everybody outbids me on every single route that opens for bid and nobody is bidding on this one confuses me.

Whats the problem with training routes? Theres a training route open in my center and nobody wants to bid for it. I would bid but the fact that everybody outbids me on every single route that opens for bid and nobody is bidding on this one confuses me.
Bid on everything...next month, center manager will be up for bid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would have to vacate your route for at least 30 days each and every time they train a new driver.

iruhnman630

Around here there are bumps on Mondays, but only from Monday-Friday drivers whos routes aren't in. Tuesday-Saturday drivers can't use their seniority to bump Monday drivers. They had their chance to bump off Saturday routes before the first Saturday.

Verify this with a steward as I haven't been put in a position to try it: If you are getting bumped, tell them you want your show up pay. Just be prepared to work if they make you. This should get you a punch which should count as a day. Work the other four days and it should make Saturday a sixth day.
I'm not affected, just interested in the outcome.

I could see most of the higher seniority sat drivers grieving to work a mon-fri schedule, and it would set a new precedent for future bids.

Saturday work should have been by seniority anyway. A senior driver whose route is cut om Monday could choose to run another route or work Saturday.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
My routes a training route...even though only 2 of the last 10 people passed on it..way too heavy...it sucks coming off it when someone trains but at the same time it’s a nice change to be somewhere else for a while

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There should be no need to grieve it, the manager is just testing the water with the mind game. If your bid is M-friend, there is no Saturday ( at least locally, it's a 5-day consecutive work week.) They want to see your reaction of being told how it's going to be, contract or not, so it's up to the person to politely decline. ;)

There should be no need to grieve it, the manager is just testing the water with the mind game. If your bid is M-friend, there is no Saturday ( at least locally, it's a 5-day consecutive work week.) They want to see your reaction of being told how it's going to be, contract or not, so it's up to the person to politely decline. ;)
Hopefully the language gets cleaned up this contract.

OrionsBitch

Not...
You would have to vacate your route for at least 30 days each and every time they train a new driver.
Yeah but usually there are a handful of training routes and they rotate which route will be used. In smaller centers like the one in at we haven't has a new driver in 5 years. I guess it all depends.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hopefully the language gets cleaned up this contract.
I don't know what contract language you are talking about, but I do know if you have a bid route that is cut out on a scheduled day, you should still be able to work your scheduled day. Whether it is being trained on, cut, etc. This sounds like a case of trying to get a young, green driver to run off 300 stops on a 12 hour Saturday.

I don't know what contract language you are talking about, but I do know if you have a bid route that is cut out on a scheduled day, you should still be able to work your scheduled day. Whether it is being trained on, cut, etc. This sounds like a case of trying to get a young, green driver to run off 300 stops on a 12 hour Saturday.
It's a gray area here in our supplement when it dealas with the part time drivers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's a gray area here in our supplement when it dealas with the part time drivers.
That's too bad, there should be no gray area.

Also I would say, a lot of drivers on those training routes take side-deals. In the few buildings and many centers I have seen. One training route driver (at least) is on the safety committee, so there you go.

That's too bad, there should be no gray area.

Also I would say, a lot of drivers on those training routes take side-deals. One we have is on the safety committee, so there you go.
Well the language we have wasn't clearly written decades ago for Saturday ground.
It's very clear for the full time drivers. The part timers get screwed.

lolbr

I could see most of the higher seniority sat drivers grieving to work a mon-fri schedule, and it would set a new precedent for future bids.

Saturday work should have been by seniority anyway. A senior driver whose route is cut om Monday could choose to run another route or work Saturday.
A few weeks before Saturdays started here, they announced which routes would be switching. The drivers had the option to stay on their route or bump someone with less seniority who had a M-friend route. If they did, then that would be their new route. If they chose to keep the route that went T-S, then they were agreeing to work Saturdays knowing they would not be able to bump Monday drivers.