Lunch skippers

30yearstolife

So...

How much is that pat on the back worth, when you skip your lunch or set up your truck off the clock?

If you did not skip your lunch, and instead invested that $49.50 (1 hour) in overtime into your 401k in stocks, you might be surprised...

Over your career you are handing UPS nearly 3 million dollars !

You can see the number below. I assumed a conservative 8% return on investment in stocks (historically 9-10% long term). Also I assumed 3% annual raises (conservative compared to historical increases)
One hour of overtime pay at $32.99 per hour, 5 days a week.

Your total is $2,986,746 after 35 years.

I hope you enjoy that 3 million dollar pat on the back, you earned it.
You are cheating your family out of this money and handing it to the fat cats at the top.
United Parcel Service Co. gave its chairman and CEO, D Scott Davis compensation valued at $10.7 million in 2012. (4 year business degree Portland State)
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/401-k-retirement-calculator.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Griff

The lunch skipping horse was beaten to death years ago. These people you are trying to reach out to aren't the brightest bunch. I highly doubt big numbers would do anything but scare them away.

There's a new breed of UPS driver and this species emerged about 10 years ago here.

1) skip lunch and paid break.
2) come in 1-2hrs early and reload truck. Do safety crap off the clock, brown nose a bit, etc.
4) refuse to file any grievances out of fear (pathetic).
5) go home unpaid whenever management cuts their route or puts them on the "extra" list.

These people have every excuse in the book for their behavior. Family, kids, softball, blah blah blah. What it boils down to is pretty basic and simple: they are wimps. Can't handle working 11-12 hours, so they cheat the system to get around it. Meanwhile, they care nothing about their fellow worker who they make look "bad" by falsifying their timecard and inflating SPORH. Oh well, tough luck for him, they would say. That's the culture that is being installed by the company and the union = me-sters. ITS ALL ABOUT ME.

Sent using BrownCafe App

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The lunch skipping horse was beaten to death years ago. These people you are trying to reach out to aren't the brightest bunch. I highly doubt big numbers would do anything but scare them away.

There's a new breed of UPS driver and this species emerged about 10 years ago here.

2) come in 1-2hrs early and reload truck. Do safety crap off the clock, brown nose a bit, etc.
5) go home unpaid whenever management cuts their route or puts them on the "extra" list.

These people have every excuse in the book for their behavior. Family, kids, softball, blah blah blah. What it boils down to is pretty basic and simple: they are wimps. Can't handle working 11-12 hours, so they cheat the system to get around it. Meanwhile, they care nothing about their fellow worker who they make look "bad" by falsifying their timecard and inflating SPORH. Oh well, tough luck for him, they would say. That's the culture that is being installed by the company and the union = me-sters. ITS ALL ABOUT ME.
Sent using BrownCafe App

Wow, did someone piss in your Wheaties this morning? Tell us how you really feel!

MethodsMan

Oh well, I agree that's BS. If I don't take lunch I don't enter it in the board. But, if I'm over dispatched and screwed I'll just take a 25 minutes worth of breaks

30yearstolife

That's alot different than falsifying your time sheet.
Or setting up your truck in the morning before punch in, or on break. Or gathering supplies off the clock. Or answering supervisors questions about your day off the clock etc. etc.

30yearstolife

Or just think of it this way...
When I give them 20 minutes a day by running, or taking short cuts that could get me fired, or speeding that could get me killed, I am handing them a million dollars that could have let me retire years earlier.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Are you guys talking about people who skip punching for lunch all together or who punch for lunch and continue to work anyway?

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
Are you guys talking about people who skip punching for lunch all together or who punch for lunch and continue to work anyway?
He's talking about people who record the hour lunch, which most centers require, but work through it to get off early. My center sends out the message "make sure you RECORD your hour lunch". Which means they don't care if you skip it just record it.

Fragile

He's talking about people who record the hour lunch, which most centers require, but work through it to get off early. My center sends out the message "make sure you RECORD your hour lunch". Which means they don't care if you skip it just record it.

I don't understand why anyone is stupid enough to do this at this point.

It's falsifying. If you do this here you will get in trouble for it.

BrownTexas

Sent using BrownCafe App
Couldn't agree more. I have only been with the company 2 years and I have noticed this. Straight out scared. Don't want the center manager/"daddy" yelling at them so they do whatever it takes. I don't work til start time and take my hour lunch before 3 everyday. These "me-sters" you speak of screw everyone. By helping to load their car they are taking away more part time positions. By skipping their lunch and doing more businesses they are cutting out routes themselves and screwing people out of full time driving positions. By people not filing on 9.5 or supervisors working they are taking jobs away from others. But good news... They get to hope that they will go home when they are finished, which usually turns into being sent back out for even more work. If you want to be all about yourself then simply don't kill yourself, and save your body so you can enjoy retirement and not crying about having a bad back and bad knees.

BrownTexas

Oh well, I agree that's BS. If I don't take lunch I don't enter it in the board. But, if I'm over dispatched and screwed I'll just take a 25 minutes worth of breaks
If you are over dispatched, MAKE IT THEIR PROBLEM. Taking your lunch and send them a message that "I'm going to have missed businesses" puts the pressure on them. Makes them have to change your route to a better day because they won't want to have to send you help everyday. File 9.5 if your violated and they will take work off you. Taking a 25 minute lunch and only recording that usually means they will just take a full hour of pay anyway so you work for free for 35 minutes everyday, and do more businesses which allow them to cut more routes, which is why you are over dispatched.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I too believe the main reason they work through lunch is they are scared, plain and simple. Start checking telematics I say. Funny how the company worries about every back, every mile, but not driver doing this. Put this number on the stupid daily report they they plaster on the wall every morning. WDB- work during break, so easy to do. Did the truck move, anything scanned? Then the steward can grieve it.

I never hear of feeders folks doing this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I too believe the main reason they work through lunch is they are scared, plain and simple. Start checking telematics I say. Funny how the company worries about every back, every mile, but not driver doing this. Put this number on the stupid daily report they they plaster on the wall every morning. WDB- work during break, so easy to do. Did the truck move, anything scanned? Then the steward can grieve it.

I never hear of feeders folks doing this?

Management knows full well who works through their lunches.

IMO taking lunch at the end of the day while sitting at the bldg. or at the gas station is just as bad as not taking it at all.