Lunch?

kingOFchester

A loaded question,

After delivering your last stop before lunch, do you:

A)Clock out and drive to your lunch spot.
B) Drive to your lunch spot, then clock out.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
i am usually able to eat within 3-5 minuets from my last stop so i clock clock out after the last stop is completed. Our steward advised us to do this

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It depends.

If I'm on a route where there is somewhere to eat I will wait til I get there to start lunch. If I have to drive off route I will start my lunch when I "break trace"

If I am on a route where there is nowhere to eat or nowhere that appeals to me I will be making my way back to the building (lunch at the end of the day), and at the time that I stop advancing towards the building, that is when I begin my lunch

brownelf

if where I'm going to have lunch is in trace, I clock out when arriving and clock in when I leave. If I'm breaking trace to go to lunch, I clock out at the point I break from trace and clock in when I return to that point and I'm back on trace.

DS

Fenderbender
I try to do my deliveries in a way that I end up close to where I am going eat.
Always less than 1/4 mile.I clock out when I break trace.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have been instructed to so so,and failure to comply results in Warning Letters...

...Which might as well be written on toilet paper for all they are worth. You cannot be required to operate company equipment when you are off of the clock, nor can you be denied the opportunity to use sanitary restroom facilities during the workday. Even if you dont have to go, you are entitled to wash your hands with hot soapy water before eating your food.

...Which might as well be written on toilet paper for all they are worth. You cannot be required to operate company equipment when you are off of the clock, nor can you be denied the opportunity to use sanitary restroom facilities during the workday. Even if you dont have to go, you are entitled to wash your hands with hot soapy water before eating your food.
This about sums it up.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A loaded question,

After delivering your last stop before lunch, do you:

A)Clock out and drive to your lunch spot.
B) Drive to your lunch spot, then clock out.

I am "off the clock" as soon as the vehicle is safely parked at a suitable location for me to take my lunch. I make every effort to plan my route so as to eliminate or keep off-trace driving time to an absolute minimum. I make every effort to comply with Art 37 which requires me to give the company a fair days work for a fair days pay. The company made a decision to hire a human being to do this job; as a human being, I am occasionally compelled to pee or poop and when that is necessary I owe it to my customers to do so in an appropriate and sanitary manner. If the company insists that I keep its vehicle on a rigidly defined trace then it can install and maintain Porta-Potties at suitable intervals along that trace. Or it can pay me to drive to a bathroom on route. But I dont drive the package car off of the clock.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
i can see where you are coming from, but i pick and choose my fights. i may lose a little clocking out 3 or 4 minuets before i actually go to lunch but i dont have to deal with being on the 'Hit List' and having to talk to my supervisor anymore than i have to. I 'm less than 5 years from retirement and i try to stay under the radar. i'll let the younger guys fight those battles

ymelord

(Our drive time counts as part of our break so very few drivers in our center drive very far to eat lunch.)

Check your contract-I bet you don't find anything in it, that tells you your drive counts as break time. Somebody needs to push the issue, don't let UPS harass you about it. I hate when UPS does this.

Last edited: