Lunches..taken before work or on route?

our center manager lets drivers take their lunches before start time (ie. start time 8:30 punch in at 7:30 and take hour lunch). my question is this benefiting the driver or ups? give your opinion...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
UPS is the only one benefiting, and it is wrong and dishonest.
No different than the common practice of taking lunch at the end of the day.
It's easily explained.
In the morning it's called breakfast, midday is lunch, and the end of day is dinner.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
our center manager lets drivers take their lunches before start time (ie. start time 8:30 punch in at 7:30 and take hour lunch).

You have people in your Center stupid enough to show up an hour before Start Time to clock in and eat Breakfast and not get paid for it? And then work 9-10 hours all day with no break of any kind? I thought I had heard it all by now.

over9five

Staff member
You have people in your Center stupid enough to show up an hour before Start Time to clock in and eat Breakfast and not get paid for it? And then work 9-10 hours all day with no break of any kind? I thought I had heard it all by now.

I would have to agree with the "stupid"-ness of that.

please explain how this benefits them...you still get your hours?

How much is your time worth? I value mine at $30 and change for every hour, minimum. How can I say that? Because thats the dollar amount it takes to peel me out of bed next to my wife and trudge in to move trailers all day for a company that has fewer and fewer people there that appreciate the effort. I`m a number to them, it takes a number to buy me.

As how it benefits them, you guys not taking lunch allows them to adjust everything from routes run to stops per,etc. It also ultimately will mean driver jobs, fewer of them. One day maybe yours.

thessalonian13

our center manager lets drivers take their lunches before start time (ie. start time 8:30 punch in at 7:30 and take hour lunch). my question is this benefiting the driver or ups? give your opinion...
I take my lunch between 1pm and 2pm every day. I never miss it. Our center manager will give us a warning letter if we take it before 12pm or later than 3pm.

UPSGUY72

what time are you punching out each day ?? If it's later than 4:30 your getting screwed. I would bet they are working you till 6 - 6:30 if not later. The OT is nice but UPS is getting more work out of you each day than they would on a day when you took your lunch at the normal time. Which just means more stops per car.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I suspect it's even worse than that, how much you do you want to bet that these drivers are spending their unpaid "breakfast" setting up their trucks.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
If you work during your lunch hour you are handing the company MORE THAN $5000 each year. This figure doesn't include the probability that the extra hour would've been overtime. You should go ahead and ask your supervisor if this 200+ hours will count toward your volunteer efforts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why in the world would anyone want to come in at 7:30 am just to sit for an hour unpaid before working the next 8-9 hours with only a 10 minute break? I am not a strong advocate of the "between the 3rd and 5th hour" rule but I do advocate that a full lunch and break be taken. I take mine toward the end of my day as it works best for me and my delivery area.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I suspect it's even worse than that, how much you do you want to bet that these drivers are spending their unpaid "breakfast" setting up their trucks.
Not just "setting up", but, helping to load, dumping bags up front, helping in the feeder. Some people love handing them money.