Hey everyone, I'm new here and have searched countless forums on this position. My local ups posted a job for a M-friend 10am-3pm air package PT position. Can anybody give me a ballpark starting pay for this position? I'd really love to get my foot in the door with ups as I've worked for CDL delivery companies before such as us foods so I know about fast pace and hard work. What can I expect to be doing. And could this eventually lead to a FT position couple years down the road. I'm sure I could work a second job to make up for money until I reach top pay which would be around 2 years I'm assuming?? Any updated (2017-18) info on these air package positions would be great thanks for any help! (Sorry if I posted in the wrong place I'm new to this)

AlliSeeisBrown

PT Air is a great position. Wages will depend on your local supplement I believe. Ball park $11:50-$13.50 start. It does go through progression so after a couple of years or so it goes up to around $25/hr. Check out your contract and see what pay and progression is. Air driver is a cake job. Just deliver NDA, pickup NDA and letterboxes. They might also ask you to do shuttle work (carrying out packages that were left in the building to the drivers).

This is the original job posting when I applied

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180205-134103.png
    Screenshot_20180205-134103.png
    481.5 KB · Views: 833
So I'm assuming I should consider myself lucky because this one is 5 hours also the town is only about 4-5 thousand so maybe that's why this air package delivery position is 10-3pm. I'll know more I guess when they call me for a time to come back in

AlliSeeisBrown

With UPS you'll quickly realize that "advertised" hours don't mean jack. 10-3 is a weird time frame for an air driver, but maybe they'll have him deliver some 10:30 commits, then some comm/res savers? Idk. Typical is the 6am start EAM Drivers and the pm air routes which get letterboxes starting at 6pm.

PT Car Washer

Does not sound right. Why would they have him deliver Air savers or 2nd Day Air when the regular driver will most likely have a ground stop on the same street. Could mean an air package handler. Then the hours would make sense.

I'm as lost as you guys and all I have to go off is this until they set me up for an orientation where they said they would go over all the details.

AlliSeeisBrown

Does not sound right. Why would they have him deliver Air savers or 2nd Day Air when the regular driver will most likely have a ground stop on the same street. Could mean an air package handler. Then the hours would make sense.
True. Who knows what’s up their sleeves.
I'm as lost as you guys and all I have to go off is this until they set me up for an orientation where they said they would go over all the details.
Yeah play it by ear. Air driver is the type of job where when people get it, they stick with it for a long time while having another job. Can’t beat the free benefits and once you hit top rate it’s good side income.

True. Who knows what’s up their sleeves.

Yeah play it by ear. Air driver is the type of job where when people get it, they stick with it for a long time while having another job. Can’t beat the free benefits and once you hit top rate it’s good side income.

It seems like a great opportunity. I will just have to play it by ear and go from there. Once I find out more info I'll post it. Maybe they put the wrong job title or time

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey everyone, I'm new here and have searched countless forums on this position. My local ups posted a job for a M-friend 10am-3pm air package PT position. Can anybody give me a ballpark starting pay for this position? I'd really love to get my foot in the door with ups as I've worked for CDL delivery companies before such as us foods so I know about fast pace and hard work. What can I expect to be doing. And could this eventually lead to a FT position couple years down the road. I'm sure I could work a second job to make up for money until I reach top pay which would be around 2 years I'm assuming?? Any updated (2017-18) info on these air package positions would be great thanks for any help! (Sorry if I posted in the wrong place I'm new to this)

How come you got fired from US foods?

How come you got fired from US foods?

I didn't get fired. Us foods opened a yard in my area but the route sales guys could not or just didn't care to get more customers to keep the yard open. Plus all the mad customers from route sales guys ordering things they didn't want and shorting them on product they desperately needed. Not to mention every pallet on the truck was just mixed of all your daily stops so you could spend 20 mins breaking down a pallet or two just to get to the bottom to get one case. It was a nightmare. Had the option to transfer but that was out of the question since we own our home. They paid great but routing and warehouse was a complete joke with no structure. I'd really like to get in with ups as I'm not hurting for money and would love to get in with the company.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I didn't get fired. Us foods opened a yard in my area but the route sales guys could not or just didn't care to get more customers to keep the yard open. Plus all the mad customers from route sales guys ordering things they didn't want and shorting them on product they desperately needed. Not to mention every pallet on the truck was just mixed of all your daily stops so you could spend 20 mins breaking down a pallet or two just to get to the bottom to get one case. It was a nightmare. Had the option to transfer but that was out of the question since we own our home. They paid great but routing and warehouse was a complete joke with no structure. I'd really like to get in with ups as I'm not hurting for money and would love to get in with the company.

Careful what you wish for

Good Lick