Made a mistake

Tito95

Hey guys,

been driving feeders for two years and just recently went sleeper. At one of our fuel stops I accidentally put a couple of gallons a of unleaded in our diesel truck and of course 30 minutes later the truck started acting up. We had to get towed to a meet point to get another truck, got crazy behind on our route, etc. I know only a couple of gallons was put into it because there’s only three lanes of fuel at this particular center. Pulled through the middle lane and those pumps didn’t work. Pulled through the far right lane and only was able to get four gallons out of it, then pulled through the far left and was able to fill up.
The far left pump is what we normally use but a trailer was blocking us from pulling through so I was trying to avoid having to back out of it. I don’t know if it was clearly labeled that one of those pumps anywhere was unleaded or not. I hate thinking I would have made a mistake that stupid but it happened unfortunately. We gotta stop back by there in 12 hours so I’m gonna see if anything is not labeled just in case so I can have an argument but I’m not feeling good about it.
as soon as the mechanic who checked our truck told us that it was filled with gasoline I called one of our feeder managers to let him know what I had done by the way.
Can this lead to a termination? I’ve had no write ups or wrecks or anything of that sort.

542thruNthru

Hey guys,

been driving feeders for two years and just recently went sleeper. At one of our fuel stops I accidentally put a couple of gallons a of unleaded in our diesel truck and of course 30 minutes later the truck started acting up. We had to get towed to a meet point to get another truck, got crazy behind on our route, etc. I know only a couple of gallons was put into it because there’s only three lanes of fuel at this particular center. Pulled through the middle lane and those pumps didn’t work. Pulled through the far right lane and only was able to get four gallons out of it, then pulled through the far left and was able to fill up.
The far left pump is what we normally use but a trailer was blocking us from pulling through so I was trying to avoid having to back out of it. I don’t know if it was clearly labeled that one of those pumps anywhere was unleaded or not. I hate thinking I would have made a mistake that stupid but it happened unfortunately. We gotta stop back by there in 12 hours so I’m gonna see if anything is not labeled just in case so I can have an argument but I’m not feeling good about it.
as soon as the mechanic who checked our truck told us that it was filled with gasoline I called one of our feeder managers to let him know what I had done by the way.
Can this lead to a termination? I’ve had no write ups or wrecks or anything of that sort.
You will not be terminated. You will receive a warning letter. Make sure to never do it again.

Mst3k

I don’t do feeder and we are not supposed to pump our own gas here but my advice, as someone who has no idea, is to say you made a mistake and that is it. They don’t need the whole narrative.

If they had to tow the truck they might try to charge you with an accident but that shouldn’t ruin you

542thruNthru

Hey guys,

Also do not lie no matter what. Tell the truth no matter how dumb it sounds.

Tito95

You will not be terminated. You will receive a warning letter. Make sure to never do it again.
Also do not lie no matter what. Tell the truth no matter how dumb it sounds.
Thanks for the response. No lying here. I called our feeder manager as soon as the mechanic told me gasoline had been pumped into it to let him know what I did. I didn’t want there to be any room to say I didn’t report something.

Tito95

Thanks for the response. No lying here. I called our feeder manager as soon as the mechanic told me gasoline had been pumped into it to let him know what I did. I didn’t want there to be any room to say I didn’t report something.
To clarify also, I called the ups center after the mechanic told me about gasoline being pumped into it and asked them if they had any sort of unleaded pump on property and of course, it was that far right pump.

542thruNthru

Good, then put your mind at ease. They have to give you a warning letter before discharge unless it's a cardinal offence and accidentally putting gasoline in a diesel truck is not a cardinal offence.

unloady

Dishonesty is one of the few things that can get you canned around here. Have a steward present when management talks to you and tell the truth. You should be fine.

quad decade guy

Thanks for that
Good, then put your mind at ease. They have to give you a warning letter before discharge unless it's a cardinal offence and accidentally putting gasoline in a diesel truck is not a cardinal offence.
Not necessarily.....

You may get your job back but you might be out money. Now, let's say you blew that motor....totalling the tractor.....gets more interesting.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ask @1BROWNWRENCH about putting gas in a diesel engine. I'm pretty sure he has seen enough of that. Admit you screwed up because mistakes happen. No way you could get away with trying to hide it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Gasoline, diesel, all the same.

Big difference between a few gallons and being filled though? We once had diesel put in the gas supply tank by the delivery company. That was a late am!
A little diesel in the gas makes a mess but not nearly as bad as gas in a diesel.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ask @1BROWNWRENCH about putting gas in a diesel engine. I'm pretty sure he has seen enough of that. Admit you screwed up because mistakes happen. No way you could get away with trying to hide it.
Yep. Right then and there call the shop! Chances are the shop fixes it and that's the end of it.

Karma...

It would be very petty chickensh if you got a warning letter for such a minor thing.........a little diesel in a gas engine isn't a problem as long as the engine has a high compression ratio and its running carbs like amals with large main jets......fuel injection I dont know.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It would be very petty chickensh if you got a warning letter for such a minor thing.........a little diesel in a gas engine isn't a problem as long as the engine has a high compression ratio and its running carbs like amals with large main jets......fuel injection I dont know.
FYI all Diesel engines are fuel injected