Making a stop one of your last

PeasAndCarrots

So a couple of weeks ago, I walk into a gas station to drop off a package. There are 2 loooong lines with 2 cashiers checking them out. I stand in the middle and ask the first cashier I see to finish their current customer if they would mind signing for it. She says sure and I give her my board. The store owner sees this and has her give it back to me and says outloud that his business puts the customers first and told the cashiers from now on, "Don't make him wait too long, maybe just 5 minutes or so." (Referring to when they have long lines which is normal)

I said, "Sir, I understand your point and I don't mind waiting a little bit but honestly if I have to wait 5 minutes, I'm just going to have to bring this package back and try again tomorrow." I was very nice and courteous the whole time but he finally asked for my bosses number. I gladly gave it to him and that was pretty much that. He never called my boss but his gas station has since been one of my last stops around 7-8pm.

Have you guys ever done anything like this? I'm a very nice "sir/ma'am" kinda guy so I feel kinda weird about doing this but IMO, this guy had it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rod

Retired 22 years
If it can be done without getting yourself in trouble go for it. I enjoyed the few times I assigned some idiot "the last to be delivered" award.

PeasAndCarrots

If it can be done without getting yourself in trouble go for it. I enjoyed the few times I assigned some idiot "the last to be delivered" award.

Most certainly. It's a business that is open after 5 and it's on the right side of the road on my way back to the center. Win/Win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Island

I don't drive but I would assume your manager or route guy would have an opinion on the matter? Not about you breaking sequence but about this guy delaying you intentionally. I knew a somewhat reasonable dispatch guy who would have been receptive to a driver with this problem but maybe he's one in a million?

bumped

All the time...I get multiple complaints every week that I don't ring/knock. Guess when your getting your package the next day... Funny thing is I get people that say when I knock it either the police or UPS at the door.

Island

As long as we're talking about it, my driver is very careful to knock several times and hand me whatever box, but this is only since he found out I worked at UPS. Before we had a chat, he would just throw it at my door and run, much like my USPS guy who is not worth the uniform he no longer wears to work. On the other other my FedEx drivers have all been a mixed bag, I am always surprised when they give me their time and attention despite my grin and UPS-branded clothing.

bumped

As long as we're talking about it, my driver is very careful to knock several times and hand me whatever box, but this is only since he found out I worked at UPS. Before we had a chat, he would just throw it at my door and run, much like my USPS guy who is not worth the uniform he no longer wears to work. On the other other my FedEx drivers have all been a mixed bag, I am always surprised when they give me their time and attention despite my grin and UPS-branded clothing.

Only 10% of my deliveries are driver release, and there are 2 or 3 loaders that live on my route. It's not the best of areas.

rod

Retired 22 years

I've always found FedEx drivers to be very friendly although they do like to complain about their job------unlike UPS drivers.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have one gas station that can be sort of busy. If all I have is lottery tickets then I will just wait in line with the customers. But if I have a bunch I will take them directly up to the counter and stand and wait for the clerk to have a second, usually while someone is digging for change or such, and then go about my way. Paid by the hour, yo!!

kingOFchester

Works the other way.

I have a customer that is also a pickup. If she gets her crap later in the day, she will make me wait for the pickup. She is a 17:00 pickup. She will keep me there till 17:15 which throws a wrench into all my other pickups. If she gets her stuff early she is typically ready at 16:45.

Problem is, do to splits her deliveries are often put on the adjacent route. A runner, who will run the trip that benefits him, which means she doesn't get her delivery till his last stop. He is home, while I sit at her backdoor hearing her complain about the driver. He doesn't like to ring bell, just tosses the stuff into a pile and runs.

kingOFchester

I don't drive but I would assume your manager or route guy would have an opinion on the matter? Not about you breaking sequence but about this guy delaying you intentionally. I knew a somewhat reasonable dispatch guy who would have been receptive to a driver with this problem but maybe he's one in a million?

As a business owner, I understand the "customers come first". Not saying that they should make you wait for 5 minutes, but certainly do not expect the cashier to stop a transaction to sign. Us having to wait is the cost of doing business. UPS does not understand this.

I have gone into a Dr's office where the girl is on the phone handling calls, with pen in hand, phone being held by shoulder, typing on computer. Why should I expect her to worry about me? Just because UPS wants to load us up to the point where we have zero time for delays, should not become her problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Works the other way.

I have a customer that is also a pickup. If she gets her crap later in the day, she will make me wait for the pickup. She is a 17:00 pickup. She will keep me there till 17:15 which throws a wrench into all my other pickups. If she gets her stuff early she is typically ready at 16:45.

Problem is, do to splits her deliveries are often put on the adjacent route. A runner, who will run the trip that benefits him, which means she doesn't get her delivery till his last stop. He is home, while I sit at her backdoor hearing her complain about the driver.

Talk to your PDS and ask him/her to put that stop on to your area.

I have a plumbing supply company that is used to getting their stuff in the morning so that they can turn it around and get it out the door the same day. This company is part of an add/cut which will be delivered in the morning if I have it and in the afternoon on the other area. I asked the PDS to make sure that I get this stop every day. It's an easy dock delivery of usually no more than 20 packages. They know and appreciate the fact that I make sure they get their stuff in the morning.

To the OP---there is a fine line between having a sense of urgency and being rudely inpatient. While it is true that we should be not be treated like we are the next customer in line it is also true that we do not have the right to automatically go to the front of the line. There is where training your customers comes in to play. I have several convenience stores on my area and each has their own delivery routine. At one I place their deliveries on top of the ice cream freezers while they sign and at the other I place their deliveries behind the counter while they sign. I will wait if they are taking care of a customer but will step in once that customer has left.

Making them the last stop rarely makes the situation any better.

kingOFchester

Talk to your PDS and ask him/her to put that stop on to your area.

I have a plumbing supply company that is used to getting their stuff in the morning so that they can turn it around and get it out the door the same day. This company is part of an add/cut which will be delivered in the morning if I have it and in the afternoon on the other area. I asked the PDS to make sure that I get this stop every day. It's an easy dock delivery of usually no more than 20 packages. They know and appreciate the fact that I make sure they get their stuff in the morning.

To the OP---there is a fine line between having a sense of urgency and being rudely inpatient. While it is true that we should be not be treated like we are the next customer in line it is also true that we do not have the right to automatically go to the front of the line. There is where training your customers comes in to play. I have several convenience stores on my area and each has their own delivery routine. At one I place their deliveries on top of the ice cream freezers while they sign and at the other I place their deliveries behind the counter while they sign. I will wait if they are taking care of a customer but will step in once that customer has left.

Making them the last stop rarely makes the situation any better.

I don't get paid to make decisions/suggestions. UPS has made that abundantly clear.

kingOFchester

I look at it like this, if I have a handcart full of crap and walking down the sidewalk and someone asks me if they can have a there package that is on my truck, I am not going to walk back to truck, rummage threw a mound of crap looking for their diapers. I will say sure, I will be right back when I am done my current delivery.