Making book ??

Brownsdown

I have a question for you. I've been dying to get into the union since I started here in November. I am getting union dues taking out..and the second week of last month I had an initiation fee taken out as well. the reason why I'm skeptical is that my 30 days started in January 15th. But I missed a bunch of days due to low volume, no work available. So I've been on and off in working. Nervous to ask the boss because people say it's best to just stay low key about it, and to ask the shop Stewart. But I've been asking him, and I haven't gotten a response.

Daf

The dues won't come out of your check till you reach 30 days. So you must have reached it. To be safe go through your check stubs and see if you have 30 days worth of hours.

trickpony1

The OP needs to develop good habits now.

This includes keeping ALL paycheck stubs filed at home and assuring he/she gets their guarantee hours so if/when they retire they will have a full years credit which, in my area, is 750 straight time hours per year. Assuming OP is PT.

Years from now you'll thank me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP needs to develop good habits now.

This includes keeping ALL paycheck stubs filed at home and assuring he/she gets their guarantee hours so if/when they retire they will have a full years credit which, in my area, is 750 straight time hours per year. Assuming OP is PT.

Years from now you'll thank me.

UPSers has eliminated the need to keep a shoebox full of old pay stubs.

I do recommend keeping the current annual pension credit statement and discarding it upon the receipt of the new one each year.

By The Book

I have a question for you. I've been dying to get into the union since I started here in November. I am getting union dues taking out..and the second week of last month I had an initiation fee taken out as well. the reason why I'm skeptical is that my 30 days started in January 15th. But I missed a bunch of days due to low volume, no work available. So I've been on and off in working. Nervous to ask the boss because people say it's best to just stay low key about it, and to ask the shop Stewart. But I've been asking him, and I haven't gotten a response.
I would ask your steward how many days it takes to be a permanent, or seniority employee. In some locals they don't take out the initiation fees unless you're a permanent employee. Sounds like you will be in the union soon, hang in there.

Last edited:

Brownsdown

I would ask your steward how many days it takes to be a permanent, or seniority employee. In some locals the don't take out the initiation fee unless they are a permanent employee. Sounds like you will be in the union soon, hang in there.
But why would they take out initiation fees if I wasn't initiated in the union, you know. Called the local union.. they're getting back to me with what is what.

By The Book

But why would they take out initiation fees if I wasn't initiated in the union, you know. Called the local union.. they're getting back to me with what is what.
In your original post it seemed as if you didn't know if you were a permanent or seniority employee yet. I was just saying it's common to have the initiation fees taken out when you are. Your local union should have your answers, as they can research your hours and days worked.

Over 70

My area is 30 in 90. Does it count everything? If I run air on Saturday is that a day, if I drive a full day as a reg temp, a preload shift, etc.

ikoi62

I do recommend keeping the current annual pension credit statement and discarding it upon the receipt of the new one each year.
you can only go back 3-4 years on upsers,i have seen guys keep every pay stub since day one,and it helped them because they had proof of hours while ups said sorry we don't have records that far back.

Brownsdown

In your original post it seemed as if you didn't know if you were a permanent or seniority employee yet. I was just saying it's common to have the initiation fees taken out when you are. Your local union should have your answers, as they can research your hours and days worked.
Yea.i am not positive in knowing. I was told that if I'm getting hit with union dues, and the initiation fee then I'm in. I'm just still skeptical because when that 30 trial started in January 14-15th I had missed several days. And sometimes I'm still being sent home if there's not enough work. So I'm wondering if I'm truly in.

trickpony1

If needed, the Union can request time card records for a particular employee from their start date.

In all three of your suggestions you've made a BIG mistake.

You've relinquished control to someone(s) who doesn't give a flip about you now or 30 years from now.