Man backed into my husband's UPS truck while parked

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If he was hit while parked then it is an unavoidable accident and not his fault.

Not according to UPS. It depends on where he is parked. I know of several instances where a driver was blamed because the company felt he didn't park in a safe place.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Regardless, I got more info and the main reason he's sweating it is b/c the pass system has him taking the first of two drives into this u-shaped apartment drive/parking lot.

Screw the PAS system. Take the safest way in and if the Supe gives you trouble recite some appropriate safety slogan.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not according to UPS. It depends on where he is parked. I know of several instances where a driver was blamed because the company felt he didn't park in a safe place.

Then they bitch if you park too far away...its a no win situation, it truly is.

ups1990

First of all. Your husband did the correct action by calling in the accident.
Hit while parked, can be a little tricky. Could your husband had parked in a better spot? Were the flashers on? These are just a few questions that will be investigated.

Tell him before leaving to work Tuesday, to take it easy, try to relax and you'll wait for his arrival no matter what time it is. My wife knows, some days it can be 530, other days 730. We just don't know, with UPS these days what time were coming home.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Dont worry about your husbands job. No one is going to get fired for being hit while parked.

He will get charged with an "avoidable" accident because it would have been avoided if he would have called in sick.

The consequences of being charged with this "avoidable" accident are that he will have to go in to work early for a few days to recite some safety slogans and acronyms. He will have a supervisor ride with him for one day. And he will have to wait a little while longer to receive whatever trinket he was due to get for his safe driving award.

None of it makes sense. None of it matters. Dont worry about it.

ol'browneye

My wife knows, some days it can be 530, other days 730. We just don't know, with UPS these days what time were coming home.

I can only wish I had those hours. For me it's sometimes 8:30, sometimes 9:30 or 10:00. That's not once in awhile, that's everynight! My hours suck right now!

(This minor rant brought to you by UPS hierarchy stupidity)

As far as your husbands "accident", I pretty much echo what most others have said. Don't sweat it. If they want to charge him with an avoidable accident, so be it. The important thing is he covered his rear by reporting it!

P.S. Hope dinner and "dessert" went well!:wink2:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
all this for a 1.50 $ tail light wich was hit by another driver,,NOT HIM !! Call the guy who hit YOU and tell him its all your fault & to get a lawyer and go after UPS ,tell him the skys the limit!! Christ these supes are outtah control!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Dustyroads

This is alot about nothing. There is really no punishment for backing into something and breaking a tail light. At very worst, he'll lose a year of safe driving, but who cares, they quit giving us prizes. It's like a Seinfeld show, it's nothing.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I got backed into 3 times over the years I was in package. The first one the car had major damage the package car had no damage. I called that one in. The other two - the cars involved had broken tail lights and other minor damage the package car had no damage. With these inncidents the drivers(admitting their fault in the matter) and I just went our own separate ways. I never called those in. Just kept on plugging away to get the work done to go home. But I would advocate calling in any incident just to cover ones ass.

tieguy

Banned
Hi all, I am the constantly frazzled wife of a UPS driver. He has been with UPS for over 20 years, driving for 13. The past few years (especially since the new "pass" or whatever system) I have wished he was a cop - less stress on me!

The issue today is that a man in an apartment complex backed into my husband's truck and cracked his tail light. He told my husband it was okay and went inside, but my husband called it in anyways. A supervisor told him that it was going to be considered his fault and an accident. My husband called all stressed out, will be super late (again) and is basically frazzled himself.

One, I don't understand how this supervisor could say this to him. Two, I'm at my wits end with this company. If it's not some supervisor or manager holding his job over his head for every extra half step he takes to a door, it's him working an ungodly amount of hours (like it's peak season in July.)

I do not take for granted that he has a job. I accept that every job has its downsides. But I have never known a company to have such irrational and careless management.

It looks like it's going to be yet another night of worrying that he will be jobless b/c of something he didn't do. Pardon me, but it really pisses me off because the man is such a damn hard worker. It really does.

Thanks for the rant.
Husbands should be able to go home and complain that the man is picking on him and recieve the appropriate sympathy from an understanding wife.

Once the complaining is done he needs to go back to work and ensure he has a full understanding of what the parking rules are and to thus follow them to the letter.

no ones going to fire him for a hit while parked. He will lose his job if he does not follow the methods and continues having accidents.

M

Mike23

This is alot about nothing. There is really no punishment for backing into something and breaking a tail light. At very worst, he'll lose a year of safe driving, but who cares, they quit giving us prizes. It's like a Seinfeld show, it's nothing.

Not true! We get a shiny plaque! I intend to donate mine to the united way. Maybe they can melt it down to make needles for their drug addicted clientele since they won't even help a UPS employee if they need it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
And he will get fired if he has contact with another vehicle of any type, and does not call it in. They consider that dishonesty, and will get you fired. They might bring you back, but it will cost you some major time off at least. Why chance it, call in to cover your tail.

We just don't know, with UPS these days what time were coming home.
This is so true. The trick though is to come home every day until you retire, and then stay home. Its the ones that dont come home that are so tragic.

So count your blessings and dont sweat the little stuff. and this is little stuff.

d