Man pinned between tractor, trailer at UPS facility in DeWitt

MeltedSnowman

This is the hub I work at. Despite the news report above the story by the end of the evening was that the man is now paralyzed from the waist down. Hopefully this is just the rumor mill making events seem worse than they are. BTW, not a UPS employee but a trucking contractor run over by his own co-driver.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is the hub I work at. Despite the news report above the story by the end of the evening was that the man is now paralyzed from the waist down. Hopefully this is just the rumor mill making events seem worse than they are. BTW, not a UPS employee but a trucking contractor run over by his own co-driver.

A trucking contractor run over by his own co-driver explains the situation far better than what I had heard before.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
VERY unfortunate for the injured driver, but I have to ask......why in the hell do you walk behind a moving trailer?!?!

Unfortunately the skill level of many contractors is pretty poor and often times the co-driver will get out to assist in a backing situation. If the trapped person was a rookie perhaps they didn't have the experience or got in a hurry and violated the common rule of never walking behind a backing vehicle.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I first saw the headline my first guess would have been it was an unloader who got pinned behind a trailer. A co-driver definitely should have known better.

MeltedSnowman

Unfortunately the skill level of many contractors is pretty poor and often times the co-driver will get out to assist in a backing situation. If the trapped person was a rookie perhaps they didn't have the experience or got in a hurry and violated the common rule of never walking behind a backing vehicle.

That was exactly the situation.

Speaking of getting pined. Our hub had a mishap a few weeks ago where some contractor hit a trailer being loaded not once but twice! The second hit resulted in the trailer becoming so misaligned the loader 24 was wedged against the trailer wall. Only one person was in the trailer at the time and on the other side otherwise they would have been crushed. Of course the contractor kept on going. Claimed he didn't know he hit anything.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I do not want to argue, but the information that I received was that the injured person was actually a UPS employee that dispatches the "independents". It is beyond unsafe at the gate.

trouble maker

I was in Syracuse this past Sunday and the only contractors I seen were outside the gate. they were not on property. Just about every Ups building have signs that tell the contractors they can't come on the property. they must call the phone # that is posted.

MeltedSnowman

I do not want to argue, but the information that I received was that the injured person was actually a UPS employee that dispatches the "independents". It is beyond unsafe at the gate.

Could be true. I can only share what the rumor told me. Totally agree about the main gate, total CF with trailers being dropped, workers leaving two parking lots, customers leaving the service center, trucks double and tripled parked. Another accident waiting to happen.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Now watch the guys family sue ups for the accident.....All that money saved from using scabs tossed down the drain

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy

At our building they use pt sups for that position during peak. Once again, it's someone not used to working around such equipment and with minimal training.

bluehdmc

I went to Syracuse twice in the last two weeks, contractors would hook up and drop trailers ON property. It seemed they would pull up alongside the carwash and drop and were hooking up just inside the gate.

I was there when the accident happened, having lunch, I didn't go out and look. (I'm not a ghoul.) The people that came in the lunchroom said it was a "temporary supervisor", whatever that is.

When I got done with meal the yard was quiet like it didn't even happen.

P

pickup

Most of those independents have a sleeper compartments and thus can not see what is directly behind them. Shame that this happened.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Most of those independents have a sleeper compartments and thus can not see what is directly behind them. Shame that this happened.

Backing up a sleeper unit is like backing up a package car. Scan your area before backing and it's no big deal.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
just last week I told a boss that UPS really doesnt care about safety when they let the subs in the yard during peak. as a matter of fact, most safety issues go by the wayside during peak.

in January we will have to listen to their BS and be watched in the yard and be harassed to death.

hope the family does sue. its about the ONLY way this company makes good changes.