management freeze?

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
Hey everyone. I have a question about this management freeze that is in effect. I was recently promoted into supervision, but haven't started yet because we're still awaiting approval from HR. My question is this: Does the freeze effect the hiring of supervisors or just pay raises for management? (4 sups have left which means positions are open) Also,would I have to wait until the freeze is over to begin my new job, or am I waiting on approval BECAUSE of the freeze. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

brett636

I haven't heard of any management hiring freezes, only a raise freeze for all fulltime management. As far as I know part time supervisors still get their raises.

pretzel_man

Hey everyone. I have a question about this management freeze that is in effect. I was recently promoted into supervision, but haven't started yet because we're still awaiting approval from HR. My question is this: Does the freeze effect the hiring of supervisors or just pay raises for management? (4 sups have left which means positions are open) Also,would I have to wait until the freeze is over to begin my new job, or am I waiting on approval BECAUSE of the freeze. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

The word has been that there is a management hiring freeze. This includes having a management person replaced.

Generally, any approval would have to come from a management committee member.

I don't know if you got in under the wire or not.

P-Man

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
The word has been that there is a management hiring freeze. This includes having a management person replaced.

Generally, any approval would have to come from a management committee member.

I don't know if you got in under the wire or not.

P-Man

Well I haven't technically gotten in yet. I was "hired" before the freeze was implemented at my hub. Today should have been my first day as a sup, but the freeze was announced this Thursday for our hub. I'm guessing that I will have to wait until this freeze is over. Which hopefully won't be long. Its depressing enough that I should have already started my new job, but there I am still doing union work. Kind of a kick in the rear

pretzel_man

Well I haven't technically gotten in yet. I was "hired" before the freeze was implemented at my hub. Today should have been my first day as a sup, but the freeze was announced this Thursday for our hub. I'm guessing that I will have to wait until this freeze is over. Which hopefully won't be long. Its depressing enough that I should have already started my new job, but there I am still doing union work. Kind of a kick in the rear

Its probably worth asking about. I'm guessing the freeze will be for a year.

P-Man

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
I asked and was told it should def not last more than 6 months. If it lasts for a year I will probably lose my mind after working so hard to get promoted :whiteflag:

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
Believe me I am happy to have a job. I know things are rough right now. Patience will be the key here it seems. I'll try to look at it as a positive because now I will have more time to observe other supervisors and how they do their job and compare management styles.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Believe me I am happy to have a job. I know things are rough right now. Patience will be the key here it seems. I'll try to look at it as a positive because now I will have more time to observe other supervisors and how they do their job and compare management styles.

You are probably pretty young if that is the case. Yoru best bet is to actually figure out the jobs in the building and what people actually do in every facet rather than what sups do. just imo

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
I understand what sups do, and the other jobs of the building well. That isn't an issue. I always just found it interesting to watch other supervisors management styles. Do they yell?, do they compliment, or do they run the stone cold style where they seem to have almost no emotion. Ive noticed what works and what doesn't. Always something to learn by keeping your eyes and ears open.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I understand what sups do, and the other jobs of the building well. That isn't an issue. I always just found it interesting to watch other supervisors management styles. Do they yell?, do they compliment, or do they run the stone cold style where they seem to have almost no emotion. Ive noticed what works and what doesn't. Always something to learn by keeping your eyes and ears open.

You didn't have to type all of that, if you're a sup to be and under 25, you already know everything about everything. ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Omniscience, also sometimes known as being all-knowing, refers to Drewed's ability to know absolutely everything. This characteristic is usually tolerated by Brown Cafe members who know that he still has a lot to learn once the dampness subsides behind his ears.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Omniscience, also sometimes known as being all-knowing, refers to Drewed's ability to know absolutely everything. This characteristic is usually tolerated by Brown Cafe members who know that he still has a lot to learn once the dampness subsides behind his ears.
It would be alot easier to tolerate if there was actually some sign of improvement. So far I haven't seen any. Reminds me of my middle son. He thinks he knows everything as well. :peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would be alot easier to tolerate if there was actually some sign of improvement. So far I haven't seen any. Reminds me of my middle son. He thinks he knows everything as well. :peaceful:

Both of my kids thought that I was totally clueless (and perhaps they were right:wink2:) when they turned 13. My daughter is 24 and is just beginning to realize that perhaps Dad is not as clueless as she once thought. My son is 21 and in his mind I can't buy a clue.

Drewed means well and I admire his enthusiasm but he still has sooooo much to learn.