management layoffs

ETA

I think in time they will scale back on management like the rest of corporate america,it makes sense, there is a huge amount of dead weight on the dark side

rod

Retired 22 years
I think in time they will scale back on management like the rest of corporate america,it makes sense, there is a huge amount of dead weight on the dark side

Once they get all their package cars wired and every center up to speed on all their fancy PAS and EDD systems they won't need much in the way of management. One person sitting at the master control board should be able to ride herd over a whole center. If I was lower level management I would seriously start looking for work elsewhere:peaceful: Your doomed:surprised:

brownie68

Once they get all their package cars wired and every center up to speed on all their fancy PAS and EDD systems they won't need much in the way of management. One person sitting at the master control board should be able to ride herd over a whole center. If I was lower level management I would seriously start looking for work elsewhere:peaceful: Your doomed:surprised:
I couldnt agree with you more Rod! they are doomed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the less stupidvisors the better we are

pissedoffmanager

To get rid of Deadwood, UPS could easily layoff half of their PT sups, at least in this part of the country, and still easily run their operations, probably even better. PT Sups, at least around here were the worst pain in my ass there was. Always bickering and fighting with hourlies over the dumbest stuff, just trying to show what power they thought they had. Get rid of a lot of the PT Sups, and run the preload on a skeleton crew of one or two PT Sups, and UPS would save a lot of money.

FAVREFAN

To get rid of Deadwood, UPS could easily layoff half of their PT sups, at least in this part of the country, and still easily run their operations, probably even better. PT Sups, at least around here were the worst pain in my ass there was. Always bickering and fighting with hourlies over the dumbest stuff, just trying to show what power they thought they had. Get rid of a lot of the PT Sups, and run the preload on a skeleton crew of one or two PT Sups, and UPS would save a lot of money.
Totally, totally agree. So many pt sups. overlapping each other doing nothing.

pkgdog

If they fired all the pt sups, then they wouldn't be able to get rid of all the highly paid full time sups. My center transferred 2 full time sups to other centers and hired 3 part time sups to replace them at a cost of less than 1 full time sup!!!

Ptrunner

Getting rid of pt supes would be the easiest cost-cutting measure. At least a quarter reduction would be enough and the profit shown would be tremedous. UPS would wow their shareholders with the new found profit.

The arguement for pt-supes who would say whose going to watch the hourlies. Well you need a supe to train. That could be pt. The current workers who already have been working for a time they have their numbers. If they all of a sudden have a sudden sharp drop in production on a daily basis; it could be two reason's and these two alone.

1. The pt supe was working on a daily basis.

2. The hourlies are taking their time and yes do need to get fired.

Otherwise most hourlies are honest and hardworking and just want to go home and thus the job will get done right. No one likes looking like an idiot doing misloads. And after a number of misloads (like numerous) then yeah they should get fired.

sweetpea

all i see is the ft sups standing around all day making very few decisions and talking about the drivers, who called out, what someone looked like in the morning or said, maybe using pt sups on 5 hour shifts would be better

bones

most of you must not have been around in the mid 90's, UPS tried reducing management, it failed miserably. Not that there aren't people at all levels that don't carry their weight but be careful what you ask for. It is kind of like me saying district managers don't do anything or IE staff managers don't do anything, I have never been one, they may do more than I could or I would, reducing them may cause more harm than good. I try not to talk too much about things I know nothing about, I can speculate but unless I have walked in someone's shoes I could never be the expert on what their contribution means to the business.

just my 2 cents.

Please dont forget that many UPSers did not work today. If the economy does not improve we will need less hub workers and drivers. Less hourly employees equals less managment. No one is immune.

paidslave

Rumor has it that UPS is cutting all fulll time center management positions with Part time management personell. They will work 5 hours in the morning and starting pay is $8.50 an hour. Only responsibility are as followed:

1. TAlk with problem preloaders.

2. Talk with problem drivers missing scans.

3. I forgot the other one.......

Oh yeah, hand out turkey coupons....once a year and act important!