Management licking their chops

packageguy

There are times when this is not possible--the meet driver may be bringing back air as well which has to be at the airport at a certain time--but this is the way we do it as well.

Yes your right, I call the air driver and tell him to meet me, He has no problem with that. Half the time supervisors don't even know. and if they do they say what ever works just did it.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
If the customer has no idea that you have left a package on their porch, they arent going to find it until the next day anyway, which is the functional equivalent of a missed stop. All you have accomplished is to allow your management team to perpeutate the illusion that their "plan" is working by preventing the missed pieces from showing up on a report.

One other thing; sneaking up to and/or away from a country home at night without knocking or attracting attention to your presence is a good way to get attacked by a dog or shot at by a nervous homeowner. It is not safe. It is not professional. It is not service. At such point in time as it is no longer appropriate to knock on the door and make the delivery in a professional manner, then it is time to call it a night and bring the truck back in.

I have yet to hear of service provider get shot..in 25 years of making deliveries in the dark...

nice job with all the cheap shots about management...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ill pass. They don't even know I was there until they find the package the next day.

If they dont get their package until the next day, then they deserve a refund of shipping charges...which they can only get if we do the right thing and sheet the package as "missed."

soberups

I have yet to hear of service provider get shot..in 25 years of making deliveries in the dark...

I have been making deliveries in the dark for almost 26 years now.

I dont have a problem working after dark. I do have a problem with knocking on doors at 10:00 or later at night and waking people up and/or scaring the hell out of them, their kids and their dogs. It is not professional it is not appropriate and it is not safe.

Nor am I making cheap shots at management to state that any sort of a dispatch "plan" that involves 10:00 PM residential deliveries is a failed one. You guys have all the information you need to make correct choices, in many cases you simply lack the willingess to use it. You wont gain that willingess unless the service failures make you look bad by showing up on a report. Its called "tough love". Deal with it.

soberups

One other thing;

During peak season, I fully expect to work 60 hours per week. I accept that. Im OK with that. Its part of the deal.

If I am out after 10:00 on any given night...all that means is that I will "hit 60" and run out of hours too early on Friday, and someone else...possibly with no area knowledge...will have to try and finish my stops in the dark/rain/fog/snow. Bad news up in the rural area where I deliver.

Oftentimes, it is a better option for me to selectively "roll" a few stops over into the next day, particularly if they have a long driveway or are at the far end of a dead end road and my 25 years of area knowledge tells me they will probably be getting a package again tomorrow anyway. If my goal is to get as many stops off as possible during the 60 hours per week I am legally limited to, then rolling a few of 'em makes much more sense that staying out until 10 or 11 at night. Or... If I find myself limited to driving 10MPH in pea-soup fog, or fighting ice or snow, and the weather forecast for later in the week calls for improvement...it makes good business sense for me not to waste the limited hours I have for that week in a futile attempt to get 3 more stops off after 10:00PM when I know that weather conditions will allow me far more productivity in a few days.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider

I have not either, but until 2 weeks ago, I had never heard of a driver getting shot in the back of his truck while doing pick ups. Just because it has not happened yet, does not mean that it will never happen. Dispatching anyone to be out past 9p is a complete management failure. There is no way to sugar coat it.

W

want to retire

How about getting shot in broad daylight? It's pretty obvious you(mgt) give a rip if we work after dark or where we work(pretty rough places). I don't think any "cheap shots" were taken. Hey, live it. Own it. Truth hurts........BTW-nice avatar.........spot on.

Indecisi0n

If they dont get their package until the next day, then they deserve a refund of shipping charges...which they can only get if we do the right thing and sheet the package as "missed."

It wasn't missed Dave. It was delivered on the expected day. That's like saying if i put the package out of sight and the customer didn't find it until the next day it should be missed.

soberups

It wasn't missed Dave. It was delivered on the expected day. That's like saying if i put the package out of sight and the customer didn't find it until the next day it should be missed.

I guess that depends upon your definition of "delivered".

My definition of "delivered" means we knock or ring the bell or obtain a signature as needed, and make the package available to the customer at an appropriate time of day.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Yes the King sits on his throne and tells the peasants there is nothing to worry about if you do what "I" do....

mean while, across his little kingdom, the peasants are missing one by one until 6 are gone because they followed the kings advice.

Then one day the King rolls thru the kingdom and woosh..his :censored2: got burned by the Dragon and he makes seven.

The Dragon returns to his den to await his next foolish meal....who listened to the king.

Buuuuurp.. no hard feelings just doing my job.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
One other thing;

During peak season, I fully expect to work 60 hours per week. I accept that. Im OK with that. Its part of the deal.

If I am out after 10:00 on any given night...all that means is that I will "hit 60" and run out of hours too early on Friday, and someone else...possibly with no area knowledge...will have to try and finish my stops in the dark/rain/fog/snow. Bad news up in the rural area where I deliver.

Oftentimes, it is a better option for me to selectively "roll" a few stops over into the next day, particularly if they have a long driveway or are at the far end of a dead end road and my 25 years of area knowledge tells me they will probably be getting a package again tomorrow anyway. If my goal is to get as many stops off as possible during the 60 hours per week I am legally limited to, then rolling a few of 'em makes much more sense that staying out until 10 or 11 at night. Or... If I find myself limited to driving 10MPH in pea-soup fog, or fighting ice or snow, and the weather forecast for later in the week calls for improvement...it makes good business sense for me not to waste the limited hours I have for that week in a futile attempt to get 3 more stops off after 10:00PM when I know that weather conditions will allow me far more productivity in a few days.

Yes the King sits on his throne and tells the peasants there is nothing to worry about if you do what "I" do....

mean while, across his little kingdom, the peasants are missing one by one until 6 are gone because they followed the kings advice.

Then one day the King rolls thru the kingdom and woosh..his :censored2: got burned by the Dragon and he makes seven.

The Dragon returns to his den to await his next foolish meal....who listened to the king.

DorkHead

WTF does that mean?

oldupsman

Yeah well, I got damn close once. And it's not a funny story.
Peak of 85. About a week before Christmas. It's about 9:30 at night. Rural delivery. House about quarter mile
off the road. Front of the house faced away from the driveway so they didn't see me come in. Old 400, small car.
Parked behind a big evergreen tree. Left the car running, lights on(1985 ok?). Thank goodness I did.
I'm approaching a side door, ground level. I'm about 10 feet from the door when it opens an the lady of the house in
her night robe opens the door to let her little dog out. All she sees is this figure in the darkness. She starts screaming
the kind of screams you get in horror movies. Just one long blood curling scream. I'm standing there screaming UPS,UPS,UPS.
All of a sudden I see this arm push her aside and a man appears and has a shotgun pointed right at me. This whole time
I have never stopped screaming UPS,UPS,UPS. I see him glance to his right and he sees the car running with it's lights.
on behind the evergreen. He puts down the gun and says, What are you doing out here at this time of night." Not
ashamed to tell you I was literally shaking and sweating. Most I was ever scared in my life. So please don't blow it off Dragon.
Thank goodness the guy kept his head and didn't shoot first and ask questions later. Sober is absoultely right.
Being out there at 10:00 at night is nothing but a product of poor planning, And as a stock holder
I think it's lousy business. It's been accepted for years. And it's wrong

menotyou

bella amicizia
In my area, alway's a possibility. Our center has the largest delivery area in NYS, yet we only have 30ish runs. So rural and many different walks of life.

Indecisi0n

I gotta call BS on that heck that's can only happen once a reset period (usually a week for pkg) the over 13 thing gets management on the national poop list......BC

Until you work in my shop dave dont call BS. It happens almost everyday.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A driver was held up at gunpoint and robbed in 2009. He was not harmed. That was the first route I was "assigned" as a cover. This was the most dangerous route out of 4 centers, 40+ routes each. The driver never came back to the company. This was also during peak.