Management: OPEN your eyes!!!!

local804

James E. Casey's 10 Rules For Continued Success Of UPS

How many things would you say differ from our founders commandments at his company?

1."The future of the package industry is in the air"

Casey began an air service in 1928. The Depression made the company abandon the service. After WWII, Casey wanted a Next Day Service. The "new" leaders of the company decided 48 state ground service was more important.

2."A fair day's work for a fair day's pay"

Old timers remember when almost every driver "ran under". The time allowance has been tightened so much that only the drivers who take short-cuts, skip lunch, work "off the clock" and/or run meet the standard.

3."Don't make company demands that border on harassment"

4."They are advised to constantly seek better, safer work methods."

If that was true, would UPS have the safety record it does? Faster, faster, and faster seems to be the policy.

5."Provide the best possible service for the least money."

"Left in building" packages are on the rise. Damage claims (especially over 70 lbs.) are very difficult to be resolved successfully. Other companies discount their prices deeper.

6."Always promote from our own ranks"

This should be especially true of the Industrial Engineering Department that sets the time allowance.

7."No stock outside the company"

Today, it's no voting power outside the company. No outsider (B stock owner) can pressure the Board of Directors to do anything. And how much did the Board members' portfolios rise on the day UPS began to publicly sell stock?

8."Treat your people well and the company will florish."

9."Stay close to your employees."

That probably didn't mean spy technology installed in every truck.

10."Personal pride and dignity are essential to each employee, without this management fails and the company will not prosper."

tieguy

Banned
James E. Casey's 10 Rules For Continued Success Of UPS

How many things would you say differ from our founders commandments at his company?

1."The future of the package industry is in the air"

Casey began an air service in 1928. The Depression made the company abandon the service. After WWII, Casey wanted a Next Day Service. The "new" leaders of the company decided 48 state ground service was more important.

2."A fair day's work for a fair day's pay"

Old timers remember when almost every driver "ran under". The time allowance has been tightened so much that only the drivers who take short-cuts, skip lunch, work "off the clock" and/or run meet the standard.

3."Don't make company demands that border on harassment"

4."They are advised to constantly seek better, safer work methods."

If that was true, would UPS have the safety record it does? Faster, faster, and faster seems to be the policy.

5."Provide the best possible service for the least money."

"Left in building" packages are on the rise. Damage claims (especially over 70 lbs.) are very difficult to be resolved successfully. Other companies discount their prices deeper.

6."Always promote from our own ranks"

This should be especially true of the Industrial Engineering Department that sets the time allowance.

7."No stock outside the company"

Today, it's no voting power outside the company. No outsider (B stock owner) can pressure the Board of Directors to do anything. And how much did the Board members' portfolios rise on the day UPS began to publicly sell stock?

8."Treat your people well and the company will florish."

9."Stay close to your employees."

That probably didn't mean spy technology installed in every truck.

10."Personal pride and dignity are essential to each employee, without this management fails and the company will not prosper."

804 ive never seen this list referenced to Jim before? What source did you use to come up with it?

pretzel_man

They were direct quotes in "The Tightest Ship".

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"The TighTesT Ship"[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] a UPS EXPOSE, by C.L. Kane[/FONT]​
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I don't know who C.L. Kane is or his / her credentials, but...[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Its interesting that you would put faith in this source instead of UPS archives and Casey's own words.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]For instance from UPS:[/FONT]
"Then in 1929, UPS began to offer air service through private airlines. The economic downturn in the U.S., along with a lack of volume, led to the end of the service two years later."

There's certainly "some" truth to these statements, but each is only a portion of the story.

P-Man
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

local804

P-Man,
I would love to read the old Casey archives and I am sure I would learn alot more about the man. One saying I see posted around the depot has to deal with damaged packages and customers. Maybe if we followed some of his golden sayings we wouldnt be begging our customers not to leave. He also talks about the company as a whole and all treated with respect, I am not even going to go there.As to Mr/Mrs Kane, I will try to get more info on where his information has come from.

pretzel_man

P-Man,
I would love to read the old Casey archives and I am sure I would learn alot more about the man. One saying I see posted around the depot has to deal with damaged packages and customers. Maybe if we followed some of his golden sayings we wouldnt be begging our customers not to leave. He also talks about the company as a whole and all treated with respect, I am not even going to go there.As to Mr/Mrs Kane, I will try to get more info on where his information has come from.

Local:

Go into UPSers.com and type in "casey quotes" in the search area. You should find a lot there. You can read many of his talks from conferences.

Jim Casey is one of my heroes. I've read his writings many times. Its important to read the whole thing however.

There is no question that he placed huge value on people, service, and doing the right thing alway. He also placed high value on profits, work measurement, and accountability.

He understood the importance of change and keeping ahead of a changing marketplace. Read his 1946 talk called the "Road Ahead". Its just as valid today as when he said it.

My personal opinion is that Jim would approve of much of what is happening today, except...

I'm certain he would be against being a public company.

One last thing... When UPS was 50 years old, we were only about 3% as large as we are today.

P-Man

scoobypanda

Local:

Go into UPSers.com and type in "casey quotes" in the search area. You should find a lot there. You can read many of his talks from conferences.

Jim Casey is one of my heroes. I've read his writings many times. Its important to read the whole thing however.

There is no question that he placed huge value on people, service, and doing the right thing alway. He also placed high value on profits, work measurement, and accountability.

He understood the importance of change and keeping ahead of a changing marketplace. Read his 1946 talk called the "Road Ahead". Its just as valid today as when he said it.

My personal opinion is that Jim would approve of much of what is happening today, except...

One last thing... When UPS was 50 years old, we were only about 3% as large as we are today.

P-Man
I have read many quotes from mr. casey including the ones at upsers.com. The only one I don't recall seeing is the first one " the future is in the air". The size of the company at 50 or 100 years has no bearing on the importance of his words or ideals, it only means we now have a lot more people that should be following his lead. I'm not saying we've gone in the wrong direction, but I will say we've gone in a different direction and I believe mr. casey would be appalled at many of the changes.

drewed

Shankman
Local:

P-Man

I agree, Mr. Casey would be proud of the company that is UPS today. Except for the fact that we went public, he was a strong supporter of the owners of the company should be the workers, a UPSer understands the ideals and culture that is UPS and the money the public brings to the stage is great, but in a lot of ways it hurts us.