Management/Operations disconnect.

UPS1907

I wonder if upper management, IE people, Division mgrs, OPs managers and countlesss others with "manager" titles who never stepped a foot in an operation or center, know how much the real operators laugh at them during conference calls.

Some of those conference calls and requests going into Memorial Day weekend were fall on the floor funny. How many of those "managers" worked past 12 on Friday.

UPS has turned into a company where 20 people who couldn't do an operators job in a million years direct you what to do. Operators know this, that's why they laugh it off. If UPS lost the true operators and these brilliant staff managers had to work with drivers and run the show, the company wouldn't make a year.

beentheredonethat

Keep in mind, 99% of all pkg division mgrs and Ops mgr were a pkg center manager. They did the job and were promoted to a higher responsibility job. Many IE people are in a similar situation they were on road supvs and\or did a rotation as an on road supv or a hub supv or a preload supv. When I was a pkg IE supv I had a division I had to make plans for. It didn't take long before I knew one ctr mgr no matter what my plan was going to add a driver to my plan, but he would never add two except for the rarest of occasions. Another mgr no matter what I did, was going to cut a driver from my plan. So for the first ctr mgr, I made his plans incredibly tight to where my real plan was to run one more driver then my official plan. For the second mgr, my written down plan was too fat and my real plan was one less driver then planned. I did it to get the right amount of drivers on the road. I told the div mgr what I was doing and he was good with it. The first ctr mgr bitched like crazy about how unfair my plans were to the div mgr. Esp since the next center over from him had a very fat plan.

As to all the center mgrs who are laughing at what people who got promoted to a higher level then they are. It's like a minor league ball player criticizing the quality of a major league player.

UPS1907

You're confused... It's not sour sour grapes.. .... Oh, I'm sure you never heard of anyone being "fast tracked"... they were just exceptionally talented people. I'm sure EVERYONE in IE and ops are smarter than operation people... why else would they be there? Baseball requires real talent you can see...you can't blame someone else for the grounder that went through YOUR legs. What would a UPS upper management person to do with no one to blame?

beentheredonethat

No, IE people have their job to do that the corporation expects of them. Part of that is to project volume and stops and then based on goals set by corporate, the number of drivers etc. etc. Do some people get fast tracked? Sure... The pkg center manager's job though is to run the plan successfully. In the past, the center managers who I thought were the best are the ones that worked with the IE planner to come up with a good plan and worked on tweaking the plan. That same center mgr is now a PKG division manager. The center managers who never had any input on the plan and just bitched is still doing the same job, and some got demoted (that I worked with). I'll admit though, I haven't been involved in day to day operations in over 7 years. I'm in a different job now then IE.

UPS1907

Typical conversation with IE planner. "Can you look at my SPC for next week?" Answer "Oh that is set by corporate and it's locked out for 2 weeks". Fast forward to day before a holiday >>> Emergency conference call! PKG has changed. All plans need to be reworked. Like I said earlier... laugh out loud funny.. the lying and hypocrisy.

UPS1907

No, IE people have their job to do that the corporation expects of them. Part of that is to project volume and stops and then based on goals set by corporate, the number of drivers etc. etc. Do some people get fast tracked? Sure... The pkg center manager's job though is to run the plan successfully. In the past, the center managers who I thought were the best are the ones that worked with the IE planner to come up with a good plan and worked on tweaking the plan. That same center mgr is now a PKG division manager. The center managers who never had any input on the plan and just bitched is still doing the same job, and some got demoted (that I worked with). I'll admit though, I haven't been involved in day to day operations in over 7 years. I'm in a different job now then IE.

I think the best managers are the ones who stand up to the idiocy (when appropriate) and know when to stand back and do whatever upper management wants (right or wrong). There is no "tweaking" at UPS. There are excuses, blame and threats.

upschuck

The atmosphere at UPS is cancerous at management level. Preload can't stand the centers, because they don't think that they are wrapping up quick enough and gets time charged to them. Centers can't stand preload because misloads, wrapping up late, bad loads, etc, etc. Both blame feeders for bringing hot loads late. Feeders blame hub for not being wrapped in time. Maybe if the UPS worked together and not blame other sorts or other sups then we could be more efficient, and run more smoothly. I couldn't believe some things I have heard, and seen from the same people who want hourlies to work together to get the job done.

The only way most management thinks they can advance their careers is to stab their peers in the back.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Billion dollar company ran like poop. Too many Indians and not enough chiefs that give a dam. Everything Is the drivers fault. Snowing outside- drivers fault, storming its balls off outside- drivers fault, war in other countries- drivers fault, get what im saying. Other people freak everything up and no matter what the drivers get the blame for everybody elses friend ckups. That's a bunch of bs and drivers are sick of it. Its not our fault other people cant do their jobs correctly.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The only way most management thinks they can advance their careers is to stab their peers in the back.

While non-management has the right to post in the partners section, hopefully you understand their reluctance to respond to your posts in this management forum.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Rarely do non-management offer anything of substance to the original intent of the discussion.
Usually they just post something stupid or even worse - "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."

or as one may quote, "What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right."

upschuck

While non-management has the right to post in the partners section, hopefully you understand their reluctance to respond to your posts in this management forum.
I just post what I see. If it gets people to respond great, if not, my self esteem does not take a hit. Sometimes, it is good to see what people from the outside of the group sees, so some introspection can be done.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Keep in mind, 99% of all pkg division mgrs and Ops mgr were a pkg center manager. They did the job and were promoted to a higher responsibility job. Many IE people are in a similar situation they were on road supvs and\or did a rotation as an on road supv or a hub supv or a preload supv. When I was a pkg IE supv I had a division I had to make plans for. It didn't take long before I knew one ctr mgr no matter what my plan was going to add a driver to my plan, but he would never add two except for the rarest of occasions. Another mgr no matter what I did, was going to cut a driver from my plan. So for the first ctr mgr, I made his plans incredibly tight to where my real plan was to run one more driver then my official plan. For the second mgr, my written down plan was too fat and my real plan was one less driver then planned. I did it to get the right amount of drivers on the road. I told the div mgr what I was doing and he was good with it. The first ctr mgr bitched like crazy about how unfair my plans were to the div mgr. Esp since the next center over from him had a very fat plan.

As to all the center mgrs who are laughing at what people who got promoted to a higher level then they are. It's like a minor league ball player criticizing the quality of a major league player.
In other words, no one gave a steaming turd about your plan. So you massaged the numbers and forfeited your credibility with those whose operations you affected. Wow.

beentheredonethat

In other words, no one gave a steaming turd about your plan. So you massaged the numbers and forfeited your credibility with those whose operations you affected. Wow.

Nope, i got the pkg center managers, (with full approval and support of the division manager), to run the plan I wanted them to run. The overall driver plan for the division was spot on. The plan for the remaining centers were spot on, the plan for those were "run" spot on. During the year I was the IE for that division, was the best that division ever had run in terms of SPC, SPORH and NDPPH. The key was a good plan and a division manager that supported me and ran his division well.