Management susp/fired over time cards...

fatboy33

Someone said around 3 West Coast managers, including senior, may be let go due to manually entering lunches to unaware employees. This is just hearsay but the person reporting is a pretty serious person. Lets say a courier goes to lunch from 12:00 to 12:30, management would go in and see if there was any gap by the courier prior or post lunch. If the courier, after coming off lunch, didn't scan until 12:38, his lunch could have been changed from 12:00 to 12:37. Now some of the couriers at our station have said they felt short changed but because the hours breakdown on the pay stub isn't straightforward, its very hard to tell. I do hope Corp. goes through and investigates all stations timecards. I'm willing to bet we had a manager like this. No longer at our station but may be doing it to another workgroup.
To the ones that are going to write that couriers take advantage of the gap between lunch, I agree. I know of couriers who cheat. But rather going in and changing his/her timecard, bring that courier into a meeting with manager and senior to explain himself. This, if true, is not right. Management is suppose to be better.

Oldfart

Your daily hours are very easy to see in the system the next week. You can view pretty much every detail that pertains to the timecard from the previous week, including your lunch. You can compare what you thought was your time versus what is in the system.

!Retired!

Easy fix. Make a copy of your time card and add up your hours at the end of the week. If you don't want to make copies, print your time card from your powerpad.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
One manager got fired for monkeying with OT. She worked a courier 60 hours one week when the limit was 55. Paid her for 55 and put the other 5 hours of OT on the following check. Courier already hated that manager, went straight to MD. She asked about filing a GFT when they fired her and was told "Don't bother because you won't win and I'll fire anyone who even thinks about overturning your termination."

Another notable was a manager who was working employees off the clock. Upon his firing, those who fired him went to his workgroup and asked who had been working off the clock. Those who said they had were fired. Those who said they knew the others were working off the clock were also fired. Lots of firing that day. Maybe a record, though a couple of them GFT'd their jobs back.

Oldfart

One manager got fired for monkeying with OT. She worked a courier 60 hours one week when the limit was 55. Paid her for 55 and put the other 5 hours of OT on the following check. Courier already hated that manager, went straight to MD. She asked about filing a GFT when they fired her and was told "Don't bother because you won't win and I'll fire anyone who even thinks about overturning your termination."

Another notable was a manager who was working employees off the clock. Upon his firing, those who fired him went to his workgroup and asked who had been working off the clock. Those who said they had were fired. Those who said they knew the others were working off the clock were also fired. Lots of firing that day. Maybe a record, though a couple of them GFT'd their jobs back.

People on here have made fun of me because I keep my nose out of others business. Getting fired because you knew another employee was working off the clock is a perfect example of why I don't concern myself with what others are doing. How would you know if anyone is working off the clock unless you monitored or checked their time. If anyone tells you they are working off the clock, I sure wouldn't relay that info during an investigation. Ignore their admission and stay out of their business and keep your job because you did nothing wrong.

fatboy33

I don't know about all that but the hearsay is, at that station, they're looking to find the right legal firm to compensate them for their loses and punitive if possible off the clock or not.

Schweddy

Balls
People on here have made fun of me because I keep my nose out of others business. Getting fired because you knew another employee was working off the clock is a perfect example of why I don't concern myself with what others are doing. How would you know if anyone is working off the clock unless you monitored or checked their time. If anyone tells you they are working off the clock, I sure wouldn't relay that info during an investigation. Ignore their admission and stay out of their business and keep your job because you did nothing wrong.

Decent points, play dumb sorta like mfe and WAD...

But totally disagree with your first sentence. Funny that you've played Fedex and you think you've played us. Nobody is making fun of you, old playa.

fedx

Extra Large Package

I could see a lawsuit resulting out of that last paragraph. FedEx had a manager who was working people off the clock, so FedEx fired those people that FedEx wasn't paying. I thought you were going to say FedEx had those people estimate how much they worked off the clock so they could pay them, but instead they fired them. I could imagine those employees saying they didn't report that manager out of fear of being fired as retribution. I think those fired could do a class action lawsuit over being fired after getting screwed out of pay.

59 Dano

I could see a lawsuit resulting out of that last paragraph. FedEx had a manager who was working people off the clock, so FedEx fired those people that FedEx wasn't paying. I thought you were going to say FedEx had those people estimate how much they worked off the clock so they could pay them, but instead they fired them. I could imagine those employees saying they didn't report that manager out of fear of being fired as retribution.

Working off the clock is a direct and specific violation of company policy, punishable by termination -- as stated in company policy. Multiple and frequent occurrences over a long period of time pretty much kills any chance of "Manager told me to do something that sounded unusual, I wasn't sure but went ahead with it because I feared for my job" being a winning excuse.

I think those fired could do a class action lawsuit over being fired after getting screwed out of pay.

A class action lawsuit with 5 people in the class, LOL.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Working off the clock is a direct and specific violation of company policy, punishable by termination -- as stated in company policy. Multiple and frequent occurrences over a long period of time pretty much kills any chance of "Manager told me to do something that sounded unusual, I wasn't sure but went ahead with it because I feared for my job" being a winning excuse.
And it's just stupid.

It will be fine

A class action lawsuit with 5 people in the class, LOL.
How many people were in the work group? If it's a small group, workers could feel compelled to work off clock if that was normal for the group. Did those working off clock receive other benefits from the manager in exchange? Could be coercion to work off clock. There has to be some reason they worked without pay, it wasn't for the love of the game.

oldrps

So if your manager says to work off the clock and you don't, you're fired and if you do work off the clock, you get fired. That is messed up.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So if your manager says to work off the clock and you don't, you're fired and if you do work off the clock, you get fired. That is messed up.
Welcome to Fedex, home of the Catch-22. Where couriers are held under the magnifying glass and managers are minimally monitored. Because smilet flows downhill.

59 Dano

How many people were in the work group? If it's a small group, workers could feel compelled to work off clock if that was normal for the group. Did those working off clock receive other benefits from the manager in exchange? Could be coercion to work off clock. There has to be some reason they worked without pay, it wasn't for the love of the game.

They knew the policy and they violated it many, many times over a significant period of time. There's not a good reason for that.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Believe it or not, there actually are a small handful of those weirdo simpletons still kicking around.
Strange, but true.

oldrps

Who got fired for refusing to work off the clock?

OK, so they may not get fired for that, but I am willing to bet their life with that manager would be very miserable. A desperate manager can easily find other ways to terminate an employee or make their job so awful, they quit.

So the employee can either stand up to the manager and possibly be retaliated against or work off the clock and be fired. Either way, the employee gets screwed.