Managemnt screw up. No warning letter?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I had a stop held in the building the Friday before Memorial weekend because they were closed. Yesterday I get a call from the center asking me if they are closed, we have a next day air here that should have been attempted. I said no, they were closed last week they are open today and while you're at it bring out the ground as well. The air package was delivered late by a Supe and I had to stop in later and scan the ground. You should be perfect before you demand perfection.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You should be perfect before you demand perfection.

I dont mind the long hours or the hard work or the stress. I dont mind the heat, or the cold or the rain or the snow. And I dont have a problem being held to very high standards of performance and behavior while I am on the clock. I am paid well and all those things are "part of the package" that I agreed to when I took the job.

What pisses me off to no end, however....is when the same people who threaten my job over failure to meet those standards are totally incapable of living up to those standards themselves.

UPS is pretty much one big glass house full of rock-throwing management people.

brownIEman

I had a stop held in the building the Friday before Memorial weekend because they were closed. Yesterday I get a call from the center asking me if they are closed, we have a next day air here that should have been attempted. I said no, they were closed last week they are open today and while you're at it bring out the ground as well. The air package was delivered late by a Supe and I had to stop in later and scan the ground. You should be perfect before you demand perfection.

The dispatch sup likely forgot to update the plan. He was also likely written up for it. By himself. When we in mgmnt screw up, we often have to do the write up on ourselves, sign it and hand it to our boss. I liken it to gramma making you go get a switch for her to swat you with when you were bad as a kid... Just because you do not see the write up, do not assume it does not happen.

[video=youtube;OPMwN1_vEjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPMwN1_vEjM[/video]

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If that's the case, I hope our dispatch supe writes himself up daily, for the cluster of crappy ideas he manages to come up with. Sheesh, if you had a map of our county and threw darts, you'd probably end up dispatching us better than this guy. Oh, and when I'm called into the office on Monday morning to hear rebuttal about this post, TELL ME IT ISN'T SO!

soberups

The dispatch sup likely forgot to update the plan. He was also likely written up for it. By himself. When we in mgmnt screw up, we often have to do the write up on ourselves, sign it and hand it to our boss. I liken it to gramma making you go get a switch for her to swat you with when you were bad as a kid... Just because you do not see the write up, do not assume it does not happen.

If you in management were truly held to the same standards that we hourlies are, none of you would still be employed.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nice sound bite, you would do well in politics. Sounds nice, is emotionally evocative, but bears little truth in it.
Talk about politics....What the heck does that mean? Sober said, "if mgmt was held to the same standard." Since they aren't, look what a mess they make.

I must add this disclaimer.........Though it seems like "most mgmt", it's usually only the few, but as in anything, one corrupt, make all look corrupt. That goes for foolish, angry, assinine, etc...

Jim Kemp

A "sound bite", "bears little truth" you must be joking. The mgt people in our office do thing regular that a driver would be fired for. How about leaving pickups outside of a business overnight or missing pickups completely. How about leaving someones NDA pkgs someplace for three days, never telling someone to go pick them up.
I was once late getting to work because of a doctors appt. when In got there at AM all my air was in the cab, conveniently all recorded in my diad as NI1. took it straight to the center manager to let him know I had not done it.
We are told by sups. to record NDAs as Ni1 if its gonna be late.
We are told if you can't make your pickup compliance just don't stop complete it.
We are told not to record mis-loads. I write down the tracking number and check them later and guess what they are not recorded the next day. It mysteriously disappears.
I could go on a long time with this list.

We are held to a higher standard than the mgt.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Yet a lot of their jobs entail policing us because we are stupid and not trustworthy.

As I've said before, UPS should fire more soups and management types, theres too many making huge figures. I think regular aduits for these people should take place two, three times a month.

brownIEman

Talk about politics....What the heck does that mean? Sober said, "if mgmt was held to the same standard." Since they aren't, look what a mess they make.

I must add this disclaimer.........Though it seems like "most mgmt", it's usually only the few, but as in anything, one corrupt, make all look corrupt. That goes for foolish, angry, assinine, etc...

I thought I was clear. What it means is I disagree with sober's assesment that every single person in management is a dishonest crook. He said if we were held to the standards the hourlies were, there would be none left, ie, every single one would be fired.

Based on your second paragraph, it seems you agree with my disagreement, so I am a tad confused as to what you are confused about.

Last edited:

brownIEman

A "sound bite", "bears little truth" you must be joking. The mgt people in our office do thing regular that a driver would be fired for. How about leaving pickups outside of a business overnight or missing pickups completely. How about leaving someones NDA pkgs someplace for three days, never telling someone to go pick them up.
I was once late getting to work because of a doctors appt. when In got there at AM all my air was in the cab, conveniently all recorded in my diad as NI1. took it straight to the center manager to let him know I had not done it.
We are told by sups. to record NDAs as Ni1 if its gonna be late.
We are told if you can't make your pickup compliance just don't stop complete it.
We are told not to record mis-loads. I write down the tracking number and check them later and guess what they are not recorded the next day. It mysteriously disappears.
I could go on a long time with this list.

We are held to a higher standard than the mgt.

Sounds like you work for a bunch of crooks. I can tell you, if they get caught pulling this crap, they will be fired. Same as a driver. If they don't get caught, then they will receive the same discipline a driver who does not get caught would. That being none. I really don't see a higher or lower standard in there.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I thought I was clear. What it means is I disagree with sober's assesment that every single person in management is a dishonest crook. He said if we were held to the standards the hourlies were, there would be none left, ie, every single one would be fired.

Based on your second paragraph, it seems you agree with my disagreement, so I am a tad confused as to what you are confused about.
I think your bitterness for sober is coming through in what you post. I agree with both of you, in a way. The standard issue that you spoke of from sobers post is not calling ALL mgmt dishonest crooks. He's saying that if you all were held to the same standard as us. You guys not having a Union, and not being able to achieve upper mgmts dream goals, would definitely thin out your ranks.

brownIEman

I think your bitterness for sober is coming through in what you post. I agree with both of you, in a way. The standard issue that you spoke of from sobers post is not calling ALL mgmt dishonest crooks. He's saying that if you all were held to the same standard as us. You guys not having a Union, and not being able to achieve upper mgmts dream goals, would definitely thin out your ranks.

that is not what he said. He did not speak of thinning the ranks nor use any other conditional statement. He said none. As in not one. That is not a conditional statement.

And for the record, while I have sparred with sober in the past and certainly disagree with him on many points, I have also agreed with many of his posts. I am not particularly bitter toward sober himself. I suppose I am a tad bitter being referred to as a crook. Or I suppose he could have just been calling us either dishonest or totally incompetent. But he was speaking of being held to the same standard as hourlies, and I am sure he is aware of the fact that it is next to impossible for an hourly to loose their employment for being incompetent. Whether that is due to a union or not does not change the standard to which one is ultimately held.

Last edited:

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
You're not a crook. You just work for a buncha criminals, IMO. I am glad to know that there are actually positions here that are relatively unaffected by unrealistic expectations, harassment, and abuse. No matter who you are, unless you're on the board or have a nice office in Atlanta you are an expendable, relatively low-value tool.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
that is not what he said. He did not speak of thinning the ranks nor use any other conditional statement. He said none. As in not one. That is not a conditional statement.

And for the record, while I have sparred with sober in the past and certainly disagree with him on many points, I have also agreed with many of his posts. I am not particularly bitter toward sober himself. I suppose I am a tad bitter being referred to as a crook. Or I suppose he could have just been calling us either dishonest or totally incompetent. But he was speaking of being held to the same standard as hourlies, and I am sure he is aware of the fact that it is next to impossible for an hourly to loose their employment for being incompetent. Whether that is due to a union or not does not change the standard to which one is ultimately held.
I'm sorry, I just don't see it that way.

Griff

Sounds like you work for a bunch of crooks. I can tell you, if they get caught pulling this crap, they will be fired. Same as a driver. If they don't get caught, then they will receive the same discipline a driver who does not get caught would. That being none. I really don't see a higher or lower standard in there.

You are the real crook. The IE department steals from drivers every single day of the week and are essentially the sole cause of production harassment across the nation. The IE department is nothing but a bunch of criminals who are paid to legally steal from drivers in a very transparent manner through a series of payroll deduction scams.

soberups

The title of this thread is "Management screw-up. No warning letter"

The "standards" I refer to are job performance standards, and have nothing to do with honesty or lack thereof.

Nowhere in this thread is willful dishonesty mentioned, and nowhere in the thread do I make the claim that "all management are crooks". I am referring only to the blatant double standard that exists at UPS regarding personal responsibility for mistakes. As a management person, you can sweep your screwups under the rug or shift the responsibility for them to another part of the operation. As an hourly, I can't.

Griff

The title of this thread is "Management screw-up. No warning letter"

The "standards" I refer to are job performance standards, and have nothing to do with honesty or lack thereof.

Nowhere in this thread is willful dishonesty mentioned, and nowhere in the thread do I make the claim that "all management are crooks". I am referring only to the blatant double standard that exists at UPS regarding personal responsibility for mistakes. As a management person, you can sweep your screwups under the rug or shift the responsibility for them to another part of the operation. As an hourly, I can't.

Truth is, sober, it all lies (pun intended) in their perspective of the company ownership. They view it as their company, you and I just work here, we are the hired help and they are the owner operators. It doesn't matter if they scratch the paint on their BMW because it is theirs, you better watch the hell out if you scratch it though.

Management at UPS practices the ultimate form of hypocrisy, carrying fire with one hand and water in the other.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They are alot better at using technology to chase and aggravate drivers then they are at using it to put together an effecient business plan.