Manager threatening to hold paper work

For HD/Ground, is it anywhere in the contract that states the terminal can hold a drivers paper work for any reason so that they can't deliver packages? This seems to be the way our terminal likes to "show you who's boss". We just had a meeting stating that if the drivers don't have black shoes on, they won't be able to get their paperwork for the day. I don't make my guys wear black shoes, just what is most comfortable to them as long as they are not obnoxious. Dress code is in the contract but holding paper work is not. The employees of the terminal never wear fedex gear. You would never know that they even worked for fedex.

It will be fine

Can your guys deliver off the sequence? If they get a scanner they should be able to roll without paperwork. If they hold the scanners just handsheet and follow the sequence on the stickers.
They don't have any contractual right to blatantly interfere with your operations. They can discuss with you your obligations under the uniform program. Nothing like a few hundred packages to manually enter at night to make them rethink this policy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For HD/Ground, is it anywhere in the contract that states the terminal can hold a drivers paper work for any reason so that they can't deliver packages? This seems to be the way our terminal likes to "show you who's boss". We just had a meeting stating that if the drivers don't have black shoes on, they won't be able to get their paperwork for the day. I don't make my guys wear black shoes, just what is most comfortable to them as long as they are not obnoxious. Dress code is in the contract but holding paper work is not. The employees of the terminal never wear fedex gear. You would never know that they even worked for fedex.

Are black flip-flops acceptable?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They have every right to not let you dispatch if you are out of uniform.

LOFL. How many Ground drivers follow uniform policies? Send everyone home and there's nobody to deliver the freight. If my driver has white shoes, who effing cares? After all, Ground is SO professional.

Maybe the white shoes match his nose ring and ear plugs.

STFXG

LOFL. How many Ground drivers follow uniform policies? Send everyone home and there's nobody to deliver the freight. If my driver has white shoes, who effing cares? After all, Ground is SO professional.

Maybe the white shoes match his nose ring and ear plugs.
Maybe half in my building. No one really cares. Just saying they can force the uniform policy. Who pissed off the SM?

Can your guys deliver off the sequence? If they get a scanner they should be able to roll without paperwork. If they hold the scanners just handsheet and follow the sequence on the stickers.
They don't have any contractual right to blatantly interfere with your operations. They can discuss with you your obligations under the uniform program. Nothing like a few hundred packages to manually enter at night to make them rethink this policy.
Most of my drivers don't use paperwork, but the office won't close them out so they can start their day. I have 12 drivers that go out with "on average" 1300 packages a day, our service is 99.8 to 100% every day. And shoes is what they are worried about.

It will be fine

Most of my drivers don't use paperwork, but the office won't close them out so they can start their day. I have 12 drivers that go out with "on average" 1300 packages a day, our service is 99.8 to 100% every day. And shoes is what they are worried about.
I'd back out of the HD system and just do an offline login and deliver off the sequence on the boxes. Don't let them push you around like this. Tell them you can have a discussion about your failure to meet the uniform requirements with their recourse being not paying you the uniform settlement or terminate your contract. You can't let them interfere with your operation.
You can also just bring back a bunch of boxes with DNAs. If it takes you 5 man hours for your people to get black shoes, bring back 100 boxes. They only respond to failure, make this policy hurt them.
It's probably easiest to just make sure your employees are properly uniformed though. They'll forget about this in a week anyway.

It will be fine

You're mad because they are stepping in and forcing you to comply with your contract?
He should be mad about how they are going about it. It's disrespectful. Have a professional conversation about the requirements, don't throw a fit and mess with operations.

Last year I spent over $2100 in uniform cost and that was just to supplement what my drivers already have. Not to mention the cost of patches and having them sewing on. The ONLY thing I don't buy are my drivers shoes. Maybe I should reimburse them for appropriate ones. If my drivers are not "completely" in uniform, where does it state that the terminal has any right to interfere with My business operations? I had one SM refuse to give out paperwork to one of my drivers until he apologized to her for a comment that she thought was "rude".

bacha29

Is there any doubt now regarding X's level of command and control over the people they accuse of being "independent contractors" ? Same as always. This is when you start. This is when you stop. This is what you drive. This is what you wear. This is where you go. This is how you do it.

It will be fine

Last year I spent over $2100 in uniform cost and that was just to supplement what my drivers already have. Not to mention the cost of patches and having them sewing on. The ONLY thing I don't buy are my drivers shoes. Maybe I should reimburse them for appropriate ones. If my drivers are not "completely" in uniform, where does it state that the terminal has any right to interfere with My business operations? I had one SM refuse to give out paperwork to one of my drivers until he apologized to her for a comment that she thought was "rude".
I get my guys non-slip shoes, have a corporate account with shoes for crews. They aren't the best shoes, only last about a season but if a $50 pair prevents one slip work comp claim they're worth it.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Hmm, seems like they don't like u and wants to start nitpicking on anything about your independent operations...

Grab a couple of permanent markers and go to town!
20160418_171817.jpg

One of the best sneaks my lil brother gave me... i don't have to put gel insoles in em at all! The soles are like multiple shock absorbers

20160418_171841.jpg

Reebok Zig tech / Zigwild TR2 , scored an unused set for only $5 after about 3 months of use, the soles are starting to show some wear but i can probably get a full year
out if them

Hmm, seems like they don't like u and wants to start nitpicking on anything about your independent operations...

Grab a couple of permanent markers and go to town! View attachment 92749

One of the best sneaks my lil brother gave me... i don't have to put gel insoles in em at all! The soles are like multiple shock absorbers

View attachment 92751

Reebok Zig tech / Zigwild TR2 , scored an unused set for only $5 after about 3 months of use, the soles are starting to show some wear but i can probably get a full year
out if them
That is awesome!! I did give everyone sharpies and pens at our company cookout, maybe that will be the answer to our New and "approved" black shoes

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
LoL, i don't think my hub is as anal as your manager... they're flavor of the hub is to have the proper decals on the trucks and to spray paint over the rust spots or chipped paint. i only see one cargovan out of the 100+ fleet that is not plastered with the FedEx logo (it's only a supplemental so it's not out on the road all the time)

but these sets of reebok r awesome on my feet! i can sprint or walk on them all day with no fatigue at all

my other shoes from wallyworld are cheaper than that shoes for crews lineup & i'm guessing both companies use china for their manufacturer

SHOES FOR CREWS® - The Shoe That Grips® : Slip-Resistant Footwear, Mats and Overshoes

dang, they are overpriced! how much of a group discount are you getting, itwillbefine?

i've got 5 sets of summer sneaks and i usually rotate them so they last me about 8 months for shoes that are under $20 a set... of course, using gel insoles are key with those cheapos