Managers are in way over their heads

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Hopefully none of have a manger as worthless as mine. This guy got the position by being a total suckass after he couldn't cut it as a courier. he's been babied along the way over the years by several other mangers who sweep his crumbs under the rug for the most part and his SFA scores never climb out of the lower 40's.

Anyway, he knows it all. He was whining about my on road numbers so I told him to do the route for me and I'll watch. He immediately went into defensive mode and said he never claimed to "know the route." Another driver wanted him to plot stops for him after he complained about his performance and he refused. We've come to the conclusion that he can't read maps. Other drivers have had similar issues with him too.

It's sad. i know we have couriers who can't read maps, but a manager? C'mon. Either Memphis has him so brain dead from all their demands or he's an idiot. Or both. Bill Logue a former VP once said he wanted leaders not managers. Well this certainly went out the window somewhere along the line most likely when Federal Express became a shell of it's former self..

How can you possibly work for a guy you have no respect for. The answer is you can't.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hopefully none of have a manger as worthless as mine. This guy got the position by being a total suckass after he couldn't cut it as a courier. he's been babied along the way over the years by several other mangers who sweep his crumbs under the rug for the most part and his SFA scores never climb out of the lower 40's.

Anyway, he knows it all. He was whining about my on road numbers so I told him to do the route for me and I'll watch. He immediately went into defensive mode and said he never claimed to "know the route." Another driver wanted him to plot stops for him after he complained about his performance and he refused. We've come to the conclusion that he can't read maps. Other drivers have had similar issues with him too.

It's sad. i know we have couriers who can't read maps, but a manager? C'mon. Either Memphis has him so brain dead from all their demands or he's an idiot. Or both. Bill Logue a former VP once said he wanted leaders not managers. Well this certainly went out the window somewhere along the line most likely when Federal Express became a shell of it's former self..

How can you possibly work for a guy you have no respect for. The answer is you can't.

FedEx gets what they're willing to pay for, and it isn't much. Talented managers leave fairly quickly because it doesn't take them long to figure-out they're nothing but glorified hall monitors at Express...all the "thinking" takes place in MEM. That leaves the rest, whom nobody else wants. Your manager sounds like a shining example of the status quo.

Doc Sorting Dude

Our managers are in an "OLCC" frenzy. They are covering their butts because of the numbers and service failures. One seasoned courier got an OLCC for one missing POD. Everything is gone over with a fine tooth comb every morning after. If your missing vans,not leaving the building on time or RTB on time, doing P2 before 10:30...etc...etc..you will get one. They need this "ammo" should they need to replace you regardless of your tenure with FDX.

One manager says its hard being "hated" from the time he walks in till the time he's out the door. Its not long before he joins the courier group again and says adios to his fellow managerial minions.

ProfitServiceProfit

My manager is the same way. He washed out as a courier into being a csa. Idk how he made it as a csa even. He couldn't read the 08 screen and had trouble looking up doortags when he had to cover the counter. He defers every decision to the senior and can't answer any direct question about the operation. It's pretty pathetic.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My manager is the same way. He washed out as a courier into being a csa. Idk how he made it as a csa even. He couldn't read the 08 screen and had trouble looking up doortags when he had to cover the counter. He defers every decision to the senior and can't answer any direct question about the operation. It's pretty pathetic.

You've just described the "average" Ops Manager. The Senior knows how to not zip his Johnson into his fly and can actually write a coherent letter...that's the main difference.

DontThrowPackages

Our station, the ops and sr aren't hated because we're all smart enough to know where they're getting their directives from. The next level of Mgnt, however, hated more than Michael Vick back when he was stepping on puppies.

hypo hanna

..... Bill Logue a former VP once said he wanted leaders not managers. Well this certainly went out the window somewhere along the line most likely when Federal Express became a shell of it's former self..

those kind of people require proper compensation, support from corporate and some degree of autonomy to run their operation as they see fit. None of which is available at FedEx.

In many ways the OM ranks mirror the drivers. Those with the skills or youth that can leave have done so. Those that are left are just trying to get by doing as little as they can until they can get out. Any new ones are usually suckered into the job with false promises.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
those kind of people require proper compensation, support from corporate and some degree of autonomy to run their operation as they see fit. None of which is available at FedEx.
Memphis certainly has made a mockery out of managerial positions. The reality is that Fred and Memphis are so paranoid that everybody out to screw them over, when it's the opposite that's the real truth.

Guapo

I was thinking today...Why don't they furlough the managers 2 days a week, they're not needed, so much money being saved cutting hourlies to 32 hrs a week why not cut managers salary 2 days a week????

El Morado Diablo

You can't expect them to get all their auditing done in just 32 hours! No, they need the full 40+ hours to make all that auditing magic happen.

The fact of the matter is that most of our Ops managers couldn't handle managing a lunch shift at McDonald's. Every time we have a problem with routes, staffing, late freight, etc they ask us what we need to do to get the job done. It's the only time they ever ask us what we think and actually go along with our suggestions. If we had to depend on them to actually figure it out we would never leave the station. They have no idea how bad things could really get if people decided to let them figure it out on their own.

hypo hanna

I was thinking today...Why don't they furlough the managers 2 days a week, they're not needed, so much money being saved cutting hourlies to 32 hrs a week why not cut managers salary 2 days a week????

Because what work they actually do would fall to the dispatchers and CSA's and they have more then they can handle as it is. Just because FedEx cuts hours doesn't mean the workload is reduced. It's just shifted over to another workgroup. Usually one who's mgmt won't advocate on their behalf and really doesn't know what their employees do in the first place.

StuffItFred

Because this steaming pile of cow flop needs to have the manager there 40+hrs a week to micro-manage. Think about it. Who else would be there to hand you OLCC's for having lates and not notifying a manager, not making your SPH, missing leave building time, return to building time, missing a POD, etc etc. They need someone there to tell the couriers how bad everything is, how bad the station sucks, how far off budget we are, bla bla bla. They need someone to continue to pound the negativity down your throat. When was the last time anything good was announced? LOL

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Because this steaming pile of cow flop needs to have the manager there 40+hrs a week to micro-manage. Think about it. Who else would be there to hand you OLCC's for having lates and not notifying a manager, not making your SPH, missing leave building time, return to building time, missing a POD, etc etc. They need someone there to tell the couriers how bad everything is, how bad the station sucks, how far off budget we are, bla bla bla. They need someone to continue to pound the negativity down your throat. When was the last time anything good was announced? LOL

FedEx only works when it is micro-managed, at least according to MEM logic. Without constant threats, intimidation, and harassment, you won't make SPH, and Fred won't make his billions. What's funny is that he is driving the highest SPH folks out the door as fast as he can, and replacing them with incompetents that are about half as productive. "DRA will make it all work", and they actually believe their own lies. Keep it up Fred, and you'll be losing $1.7B in the same period you are promising to save that much. Barnum and Bailey could not have created a more dysfunctional circus of incompetence.

hypo hanna

.... They need someone there to tell the couriers how bad everything is, how bad the station sucks, how far off budget we are, bla bla bla. They need someone to continue to pound the negativity down your throat. When was the last time anything good was announced? LOL

15+ years of nothing but gloom and doom to justify cuts in compensation and to squeeze another fraction of productivity out of the hourlies and they don't understand why morale is so low.