Mandated Lunches

dewey8

Our local supplement reads a Lunch has to be offered but all around New England Management is pushing a Mandated Lunch, (Their interpretation). Warning letters are flying out of the office,, as a steward I retrieve the lunch report for any giving day there is discipline and check to see if there is anyone else that's a violator to which there is always, the manager says he cant eat a whole elephant at once and line up 51 drivers at the office, My stance is "ALL OR NONE",,,, Every state has a law called DISPARATE TREATMENT and it reads here in my state if the employer has more than 20 employee's then they have to treat us equal and fair,,, so I turn in a Grievance's every time this law is broken, I only write this to inform others about the law and how to deal with this situation.

Overpaid Union Thug

And people wonder why routes are cut?
I've often considered filling on drivers skipping lunches for that reason. It's not about the bonus (which it really isn't and shouldn't be called that) at all. It's about the fact that they are causing routes to get cut in the long run and are jacking up the dispatches for the routes that aren't cut. Not to mention the jealousy that comes with a center being a "bonus" center. The bonus babies in my center are constantly crying about other drivers getting more miles than them and losing their easy stops. It's truly pathetic.

upschuck

Skipping lunch has no bearing on your paid day, as long as you don't enter that you did take lunch. They only take out what you put in you took.

That changed years ago with the CA suit the drivers had against UPS. At least here it did, and has not changed.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Skipping lunch has no bearing on your paid day, as long as you don't enter that you did take lunch. They only take out what you put in you took.

That changed years ago with the CA suit the drivers had against UPS. At least here it did, and has not changed.
It doesn't affect the paid day however it does affect UPS's ability to get more business deliveries done per day with less people.

upschuck

It doesn't affect the paid day however it does affect UPS's ability to get more business deliveries done per day with less people.
But then less res, if on 9.5 list. If you think, there is too much business, take your full lunch, but it is up to the driver of that route to decide.

I am all for giving the driver more flexibility to determine the length of their day, not less.

Overpaid Union Thug

But then less res, if on 9.5 list. If you think, there is too much business, take your full lunch, but it is up to the driver of that route to decide.

I am all for giving the driver more flexibility to determine the length of their day, not less.
The more time a driver gives up the more work IE will give them. If you give UPS an inch they will expect a mile.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our local supplement reads a Lunch has to be offered but all around New England Management is pushing a Mandated Lunch, (Their interpretation). Warning letters are flying out of the office,, as a steward I retrieve the lunch report for any giving day there is discipline and check to see if there is anyone else that's a violator to which there is always, the manager says he cant eat a whole elephant at once and line up 51 drivers at the office, My stance is "ALL OR NONE",,,, Every state has a law called DISPARATE TREATMENT and it reads here in my state if the employer has more than 20 employee's then they have to treat us equal and fair,,, so I turn in a Grievance's every time this law is broken, I only write this to inform others about the law and how to deal with this situation.
our stewards and several employees violate the lunch language every day...nothing's going to change and it's definitely not something worth caring about. I find it funny that you as a NE steward made this post though.

norcalbrown

In NorCal, the language says it's either a half hour or an hour. UPS is now on a mandated hour trip. I, personally, love the hour. I'm on the 9.5 list, too. Only way to work it. I'm gonna be 50 this year, 28 years with the company, I simply can't do what I did in the '90's. I work efficiently, and don't worry about their numbers. It's gonna take as long as it takes.

Ghost in the Darkness

There aren't many drivers who take their lunch period in the middle of the day anymore. I do but I am one of the few. We have drivers who don't take any lunch but put it in the board. We have drivers who claim they talk to customers too much so they end up putting in their lunches to compensate for that time. We have drivers who sit at the end of the day because they claim they can't get businesses off. There are drivers who enter their lunches during drive time back to the building.
I have sub'd on these routes on occasion when we are short handed and those routes are always way over dispatched because taking lunch when we are supposed to messes that up. So when I help out and cover someones route I nearly always end up with a lot of OT.

dewey8

I do take my lunch but the gripe is that its mandated,,, the 51 drivers are the drivers that didn't take lunch with the drivers that did but not in the 4th and 5th and drivers that didn't take full lunch,,, the order is full lunch between the 4th and 5th hour,,, if one gets a warning letter then all get it in my opinion