Mandatory lunch overturned in our district

chitown

Just got back from my two week vacation and my Union Stewart told me the mandatory 30 min lunch was overturned. I've only put in my 10 min paid break since I've been back and my on car supervisor says nothing. So spread the word because the company won't tell you.

JackStraw

Is it different for other parts of the country? Here we have to take a full hour. It can be broken up to 20 min in the am and 40 in pm. But we have to take a full hour unpaid.

chitown

Is it different for other parts of the country? Here we have to take a full hour. It can be broken up to 20 min in the am and 40 in pm. But we have to take a full hour unpaid.
Well maybe if you're lucky to have a route that's not over dispatched every day then by all means take it, but if you're routes like mine an heavy industrial with heavy pick ups and high delivery dispatch you can skip it and get in a little earlier. I don't know what district you're in but in metro Chicago some guys are going out with over 300 stops on a normal day.

A

over9five

Staff member
All that's going to happen is those that stop taking a lunch will get more work.

Sheesh, did you forget who you work for?

Ouch

Where can I find this info. I know alot of people that would like to skip there mandatory hour lunch to make kids events and things like that, and is this one of those deals where if you skip it there going to expect you to skip it everyday and put 2 1/2 hours more work on you.

stink219

What does your supplements say about lunches? I don't care what's on my truck. Savers, business, anything. My lunch is to start between my 4th and 5th hour for one full uninterrupted hour. TAKE YOUR MOTHER friend@@KING LUNCH AT THE CORRECT TIME!!!!!

Where can I find this info. I know alot of people that would like to skip there mandatory hour lunch to make kids events and things like that, and is this one of those deals where if you skip it there going to expect you to skip it everyday and put 2 1/2 hours more work on you.
Take your lunch...and dont tell them you have any plans...or they will give you more work...just to screw you! If you need a 9 to 5 job....this is the wrong job for you!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What does your supplements say about lunches? I don't care what's on my truck. Savers, business, anything. My lunch is to start between my 4th and 5th hour for one full uninterrupted hour. TAKE YOUR MOTHER friend@@KING LUNCH AT THE CORRECT TIME!!!!!
..NE supplement states "shall be allowed time off for meals".

I'm assuming the language is purposefully ambiguous.

We have so many lunch skippers in our centers that it's pointless to even fight it. I've tried,..."these guys want to make kids baseball games, I'm not fighting it" is what I heard from a steward.

bigblu 2 you

Well maybe if you're lucky to have a route that's not over dispatched every day then by all means take it, but if you're routes like mine an heavy industrial with heavy pick ups and high delivery dispatch you can skip it and get in a little earlier. I don't know what district you're in but in metro Chicago some guys are going out with over 300 stops on a normal day.

A
your lunch is yours.delivery time is theirs.what type of route you have should not play a factor.do you have what it takes to make them see that?

stink219

We have so many lunch skippers in our centers that it's pointless to even fight it. I've tried,..."these guys want to make kids baseball games, I'm not fighting it" is what I heard from a steward.

Actually, it's not ambiguous at all. I'm in the NE supp. Here's what it says:

Employees shall be allowed time out for meals which shall be one (1) hour and shall not begin until the employee has worked four (4) hours except for inside employees whose lunch hour may begin after they have worked three and one-half (3 1/2) hours, but must begin before he has completed five (5) hours of work. Any employee who is ordered to work during any part of his meal period shall be paid for the full meal period and shall be allowed and must take twenty (20) minutes to eat lunch and such time shall be considered as time worked. Any employee who is ordered to work during any part of meal period shall be guaranteed nine (9) hours' pay for that day.

kingOFchester

I know I am in the minority here, but I do not think lunch should be mandatory. If you want to skip your lunch and get more work, that should be your prerogative. If you want to take the full hour, again that should be your prerogative. I am not talking about putting a lunch in the board and working thru it. Just saying that if you don't want to take a lunch you should not be forced to put an hour in the board and sit. You should be allowed to work with no lunch recorded in the DIAD. The strong union folks here should go along with this because the fact is a lot of people put a lunch in and work though it giving the company free time. If lunch was optional you would be cutting a lot of free labor UPS is banking on. By not allowing an optional lunch the only one benefiting is UPS.

Ouch

Take your lunch...and dont tell them you have any plans...or they will give you more work...just to screw you! If you need a 9 to 5 job....this is the wrong job for you!
I wasn't asking just for my benefit and trust me I do t think I've ever worked a 9to5 day in any of my 16 years at UPS. Being a steward I like to know where I can find the language. There is ways around the if you have plans they will screw you

raceanoncr

Actually, it's not ambiguous at all. I'm in the NE supp. Here's what it says:

Employees shall be allowed time out for meals which shall be one (1) hour and shall not begin until the employee has worked four (4) hours except for inside employees whose lunch hour may begin after they have worked three and one-half (3 1/2) hours, but must begin before he has completed five (5) hours of work. Any employee who is ordered to work during any part of his meal period shall be paid for the full meal period and shall be allowed and must take twenty (20) minutes to eat lunch and such time shall be considered as time worked. Any employee who is ordered to work during any part of meal period shall be guaranteed nine (9) hours' pay for that day.

How can it be any clearer? Should be no question here. Very good.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How can it be any clearer? Should be no question here. Very good.
The language says there is no "mandatory" lunch. Which is why I made the post. stink is speaking as though he has some type of authority on the issue "Take your ****** ******* lunch" I think it was. How about, No! ;)

hdkappler

well these guys want to see there kids once in a while.i look back over the years and I wish I would of taken my 2 eight r
hour requests.