Manifest/Routing change: HD to Ground

Dvr Alan

Just curious if any other combined hubs (HD & Ground) have eliminated the HD manifest system (printed turn-by-turns and maps) with with the Ground system (manifest only)? I have been informed that one hub did this last week and even though they can use GPS devices, I am hearing from the contractors and the drivers that it is TOTAL CHAOS. Service has tanked, drivers are working longer hours (w/o compensation) and moral is at an all time low! Sounds like the old FedEx way I was once a contractor to.

It will be fine

Just curious if any other combined hubs (HD & Ground) have eliminated the HD manifest system (printed turn-by-turns and maps) with with the Ground system (manifest only)? I have been informed that one hub did this last week and even though they can use GPS devices, I am hearing from the contractors and the drivers that it is TOTAL CHAOS. Service has tanked, drivers are working longer hours (w/o compensation) and moral is at an all time low! Sounds like the old FedEx way I was once a contractor to.
It's called single system, will be nationwide within a few months. The manifest is sequenced and can be tweaked somewhat like the old zone priorities. Drivers will have to get used to it and contractors should start using only step vans so packages can be loaded. Overlap works in the Ground system much more smoothly than with the VRP so they are eliminating it.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
contractors should start using only step vans so packages can be loaded
dr-evil-right.gif

I miss the step vans from my previous contractors & agree that is the correct tool for this type of job. Butt, those EX uhaul boxtrucks are cheaper to buy/ maintain I guess...

My rural route changes daily in how I deliver them, basically to meet closing deadlines for schools, cycle, auto repair shops, gun shop, landscapers first... resis can wait till midnight for all I care. So I rather have them on a pallet than be loaded in my package car.

Will there still be a map over view printout in the morning, since I'm a visual guy & can quickly see a missort or misplot right away to get management to divert it to the correct route?

It will be fine

dr-evil-right.gif

I miss the step vans from my previous contractors & agree that is the correct tool for this type of job. Butt, those EX uhaul boxtrucks are cheaper to buy/ maintain I guess...

My rural route changes daily in how I deliver them, basically to meet closing deadlines for schools, cycle, auto repair shops, gun shop, landscapers first... resis can wait till midnight for all I care. So I rather have them on a pallet than be loaded in my package car.

Will there still be a map over view printout in the morning, since I'm a visual guy & can quickly see a missort or misplot right away to get management to divert it to the correct route?
Nope, no maps unless you plot one yourself with a laminated map and dry erase.
I'm saying use step vans because Fedex will load them. They won't load the sprinters. You won't have a sequence until the sort is finished so loading a sprinter would have to wait until preload is down. That'll put your dispatch to around 10 am.

OrioN

...even though they can use GPS devices

Ugh, I want the big picture before I start preloading my delivery vehicle... I don't follow the sequence that VRP suggests, or I'll definitely be out past 14 hours.

so we have to wait till the sort is done to download to our Garmin GPS units? Thank goodness my terminal is still a standalone... our sort is usually done 0730 -0800

Then preload our own vehicles if they're not step vans will push the dispatch close to 1000... would definitely suck if you're not in a dense area.

I will just have to see once we get Vision to replace VRP if I still want to stay with this outfit or move on to Amazon

Last edited:

It will be fine

Ugh, I want the big picture before I start preloading my delivery vehicle... I don't follow the sequence that VRP suggests, or I'll definitely be out past 14 hours.

so we have to wait till the sort is done to download to our Garmin GPS units? Thank goodness my terminal is still a standalone... our sort is usually done 0730 -0800

Then preload our own vehicles if they're not step vans will push the dispatch close to 1000... would definitely suck if you're not in a dense area.

I will just have to see once we get Vision to replace VRP if I still want to stay with this outfit or move on to Amazon
If you don't need the sequence you can load anytime you want. Vision will cut up the route by neighborhood, or street or zip, whatever you like. Doesn't sound like it'll screw you up too badly.

Dvr Alan

If you don't need the sequence you can load anytime you want. Vision will cut up the route by neighborhood, or street or zip, whatever you like. Doesn't sound like it'll screw you up too badly.
I'm hearing that the sequence on new system is NOT organized completely by area, yet. Drivers are backtracking big time and are frustrated by inability to get system "fixed". Dispatch has been much later, which means longer days and many drivers would like to have at least the overview map, which is not available now.
One driver I know has been loading her vehicle like this for years, so this new system is not an issue for her and she said she would never want FedEx load her truck especially due to increase in the heavy packages.

It will be fine

I'm hearing that the sequence on new system is NOT organized completely by area, yet. Drivers are backtracking big time and are frustrated by inability to get system "fixed". Dispatch has been much later, which means longer days and many drivers would like to have at least the overview map, which is not available now.
One driver I know has been loading her vehicle like this for years, so this new system is not an issue for her and she said she would never want FedEx load her truck especially due to increase in the heavy packages.
You can set the sequence to follow clusters like zone priorities, but it doesn't always work. I always tell new guys it's like Morpheus explaining to Neo how he can beat agents. The sequence is bound by a set of rules and when you're ready you'll always be able to beat it. A good map and marker will always be fastest. Load your truck by neighborhood and you'll be fine.

floridays

Nope, no maps unless you plot one yourself with a laminated map and dry erase.
I'm saying use step vans because Fedex will load them. They won't load the sprinters. You won't have a sequence until the sort is finished so loading a sprinter would have to wait until preload is down. That'll put your dispatch to around 10 am.
You're an owner, correct? Do you have to dress these clowns each morning also?

McFeely

Huge Member
Good god. Am I the only one reading this thinking to myself, “Christ, I load and sort 120 stops a day in my truck and am somehow able to do it without a goddamned preprinted set of instructions!”

Sweet baby Jesus. Smh

OrioN

LoL, yeah, I guess I'm a snowflake... I'll use whatever tools they provide to have a stress free day on the road.

I uses the verification manifest to mentally visualize my own sequence for the day as well.

It's kinda faster to look at our VRP stickers and preload em to the proper shelf (or section, for those shelf less cargo area)

As far as the longer# Vision stickers, I'll just have to wait till it's in our HD terminal

OrioN

FedEx provides and pay for my shoes?!? Since when do they do that???

When I'm preloading my vehicle for the day for free, I don't put on my uniform shirt or shoes, Brah.

Once I'm done my free labor/ exercise, I'll put on that purple promise shirt & black sneakers to fool my customers that we are part of the purple promise company

07267f19-a6ee-424d-93bb-23c311645597.gif

floridays

FedEx provides and pay for my shoes?!? Since when do they do that???

When I'm preloading my vehicle for the day for free, I don't put on my uniform shirt or shoes, Brah.

Once I'm done my free labor/ exercise, I'll put on that purple promise shirt & black sneakers to fool my customers that we are part of the purple promise company

View attachment 185731
Ya missed it buddy, was only jerking your chain.

It will be fine

You're an owner, correct? Do you have to dress these clowns each morning also?
Some days it seems like it. I show them how to do the job and let them figure it out from there. I'll give them a few different methods and they can use what works for them. I can run all my routes in 8 hrs or under and I pay the same if it takes them 11. The only thing I won't allow is someone trying to punch everything in their phone during the day, way too slow.