Manual or Automatic?

Nildog

I know that this is a topic that has been discussed before, but the threads on this subject that I was able to find were a bit old, so I was hoping to get some more current information on the type of transmissions used in UPS package cars. I understand that this varies by hub, but I've heard that UPS is switching to automatic on a very wide scale. I'll admit that driving a stick isn't something I know how to do, but it's something i'm learning. Is there a very good chance that I would run into a manual transmission if I get a driver role, especially since that could be many years from now? I feel like by the time I get to a driver role, a lot of new part timers won't even know what a manual transmission is by that point. Thanks!

WTFm8

The last 2 at my building are being replaced next week.

We still have a box truck that’s stick, idk if it’ll be replaced soon or not cause they replaced the engine then trans a couple months apart last year.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
parking in unfamiliar places (parallel, backing, long driveways, docks, side-streets) and the overall size of the vehicle both are important. Practice those like you do the stick especially in these cities.

Indecisi0n

Riding the stick can be a pain in the ass at first but after doing it over and over again it gets enjoyable. There are times where I prefer a manual like bad weather.

Indecisi0n

I still think all employee shod be required to qualify on a manual . Say you break down at another center they they only have manuals to give you in return?

Or if a package guy breaks down and mechanic only has manuals for a swap?

oldupsman

Yes I'm old. My father made me learn to drive with a stick shift. Took my drivers test with it too.
His logic? Simple. Now in an emergency, you can drive anything.

Hot Carl

There's a good chance I was the last person in our building to ever take a road test in one. They've been planning on getting rid of the last manuals in our building for some time and I think they may have just gone to the crusher within the last few weeks or so.

tarbar66

My first 20 years there were only manual transmissions.
I liked the manuals in bad weather but I found the first generation automatic equipped package cars on a rural trip (150-200 miles a day) enabled me to get done 45 minutes sooner.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
They’re still around. Just did a route in one last week. There are also bulk trucks that are bigger than the package cars for malls and stuff. You still need to know how to drive one.

We had a seasonal driver last year that couldn’t even get the 5 speed out of the building in the morning. Pretty good chuckle.

MattM

Driving tests around my way are done with the biggest oldest crappiest stick shift trucks they can find. It weeds out a good 70% of potential drivers within 10-30 minutes of that initial driving test.

I can't say if it's a good thing or Not. At times, it seems excessive. There are 20 other smaller things they get kicked out of driving for. This just seems like too big a hurdle to be hindering so many people.

They're hurting for drivers yet don't realize that first hurdle is a tad too high. A buddy who drives says he's never touched a stick in 1.75 years of cover driving. It's great to know but shouldn't be the first make or break.