Many of us here know we are getting ripped off

Time for change

based on mechanic’s pensions, and Western States pensions. But can someone give a detailed explanation of why Western states is so much higher? It’s not just union covering bum pensions because it’s for part time pensions controlled by the company also. I don’t even think most members are aware of this disparity. Seems wrong.

upschuck

Better managed, not as many orphaned companies, and probably wasn't getting a full credit year, for free, like many of the failing pensions did.

Time for change

Better managed, not as many orphaned companies, and probably wasn't getting a full credit year, for free, like many of the failing pensions did.
I got that part for full time, can someone explain part time disparity? Would people be okay with same disparity in pay? Seems like pensions should be under one umbrella.

based on mechanic’s pensions, and Western States pensions. But can someone give a detailed explanation of why Western states is so much higher? It’s not just union covering bum pensions because it’s for part time pensions controlled by the company also. I don’t even think most members are aware of this disparity. Seems wrong.

PT pensions are not controlled by the company in the west. They are all run and managed by the Western Conference, that's partly why it is so solvent.

brown_trousers

You are not getting "ripped off". UPS pays western state employees on par with the other regions, about $9 an hour into our pension account.

542thruNthru

Half compared to the western states. Why not universal pension across the country?

Because it's a multi-employer pension. Not just UPS. I'm pretty sure their is also a lot of laws against it also.

I got that part for full time, can someone explain part time disparity? Would people be okay with same disparity in pay? Seems like pensions should be under one umbrella.

PT doesn't get the same pay out as FT in the west if that's what you're saying.

FT has PEER 80 and PT has PEER 84.
This means age + years =80/84

You have to have at least 500 hours to get a pension credit for that year(I know of areas where you only need 1 punch a month to get credit outside of the west). PT get $9 a hour up to 2080hrs and FT get $11 up to 2080hrs.

PT rarely works 2080 hours so their pension would be much less then a FT.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
You want a national pension then you’d need to follow a national guideline. Clearly yours hasn’t followed guidelines that are anywhere near that of the Western States. Look on the bright side....you probably have a much higher standard of living currently compared to a lot of us out in the west. Guess you just can’t always get what you want.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
PT pensions are not controlled by the company in the west. They are all run and managed by the Western Conference, that's partly why it is so solvent.
The funds are diverse.... ups is a small part of the total pension pie out west... and this fund has been around since the mid 50’s.....

brown_trousers

But yet our pension is half = ripped off
Thats not the companies fault, or the IBT's. If you guys want your pension dollars invested differently, you need to speak up at meetings, organize a vote, negotiate your pension dollars into a different pension.

If you do nothing, you are accepting the status quo as it is.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Because it's a multi-employer pension. Not just UPS. I'm pretty sure their is also a lot of laws against it also.

PT doesn't get the same pay out as FT in the west if that's what you're saying.

FT has PEER 80 and PT has PEER 84.
This means age + years =80/84

You have to have at least 500 hours to get a pension credit for that year(I know of areas where you only need 1 punch a month to get credit outside of the west). PT get $9 a hour up to 2080hrs and FT get $11 up to 2080hrs.

PT rarely works 2080 hours so their pension would be much less then a FT.
But if you were a pter working ground or running air you could be close to getting 2080 hours... I had a few years pt where I was at 1800-1900 hours and that all went into my pension...

542thruNthru

But if you were a pter working ground or running air you could be close to getting 2080 hours... I had a few years pt where I was at 1800-1900 hours and that all went into my pension...

You're correct but like I said it's rare and you're also getting a smaller contribution per hour.

I was just trying to point out that we don't have a set amount you receive.

bowhnterdon

BS. In our fund, if you started after 1/1/90, you have to work til you are 62. Think about that. Start at 22. Work 40 at Big Brown. I am lucky. I can leave now and pay $600 a month for my insurance. Add my Wife? $800. Someone did something very wrong and they are long gone living the Life

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Multi-Employer is the reason. That's why it is crucial to vote ***YES***on this contract. The infusion of more FT drivers paying into pension will help. It won't save you but can add some time. Unfortunately your only hope after 2025 is for an act of Congress in the next 7-years.

They can't marry them either, it would be like the Titanic 20 life boats that could only hold just under 1200... when there was over 2200 on board. It sucks, sucks bad I know. Get out and vote Democrat (unfortunately), try to get RTW states over turned. The union needs to get tougher on RTW states with tens of thousands of non-due paying members getting a full ride with pension. I know the laws state nothing they can do... that's complete BS! ****It's the Teamsters Union***, it's not Scott Walker's... they can do whatever they want. At the very least the union could move the non due paying members first in line to take pension cuts. I know RTW centers (several centers) with over 45% of the long-term employees not paying any union dues and here's the worst part. Those union haters get the same healthcare & pension, protections and hourly rate as you or I and they don't pay a dime of dues. It's sick... the IBT needs to get Trump nasty on those boys and the Scabs too. Our IBT leadership today in Washington is weak as Hell and not inventive as the good ol' days. It's a sad fact.

This is why, plus the mafia fraud in central states pre-80's.

So to summarize;

1. Vote friend'n YES! (Save your pension Vote YES)

2. Vote Michael Avenatti in 2020 & Democrat mid-term.

3. IBT leadership must legally punish those not paying dues and treat them differently than a career long due paying retiree.

4. Look for places to organize

5. Vote down RTW(Right-to-Work)

6. Do NOT listen to anyone here that is against you doing 1-5. Management is crawling on this site and other social media and B.B. sites too. (Yes, crawling)

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
This is 3-years old. Yet, WCT is still in the green.

In 2015, the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Plan celebrated its 60th anniversary. It's important to reflect on why your Plan has endured and prospered where others have not. The cornerstone of your Plan's success rests on founding principles that are as important today as 60 years ago.

• Security through the diverse number of employers and industries that participate in the plan and the broad geographic area in which they operate — The largest area-wide multiemployer pension plan, your Plan now covers nearly 200,000 active participants through pension agreements with 1,400 employers engaged in 50 different industries in 25 states across the United States. In the past three years alone, nearly 5,000 new participants from 129 new bargaining units voted to join your Plan through collective bargaining agreements.
  • Security through a broad range of benefits based on covered hours you work — The more hours and years of covered work you have, the bigger your benefits will be. By the Trustees' commitment to maintaining the Plan's strong funding status, benefits you earn will never go down in value. They move with you to covered jobs with other Teamster employers. And once you begin to draw your pension, unlike a 401(k) plan, you don't need to worry about outliving your money. The Plan will continue to pay your benefits, month after month, year after year, decade after decade.
  • Security through a balance between growth of plan assets and the needs of the plan participants and contributing employers — Your Plan's formal funding policies balance the value of Plan assets with participant and contributing employer objectives. The joint Union-Employer Board of Trustees works closely with experienced investment advisors and managers to maintain a conservative, yet diversified, investment course and monitor asset performance against financial targets.
This Plan has lived through many of the events that shaped our country, and we've outlived many other financial institutions, such as Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns and Washington Mutual Bank, that lost sight of their purpose and put risk ahead of protecting members' financial well-being. Our Trustees have kept to a consistent set of principles and a belief, that "real retirement security" takes more than Social Security. It requires the added monthly income stream of a well-funded, well-managed pension plan that will keep its promises through prudent management of the funds entrusted to it.

Since your Plan began, it's never missed a benefit payment promised to participants, retirees and beneficiaries. Nor can the benefits you have earned fluctuate with the economy, the financial fortunes of any one employer or amounts you may receive from Social Security.

The Trustees are committed to maintaining the principles that kept your Plan on a sound financial basis for 60 years—and will ensure similar success for many years to come.

brown_trousers

BS. In our fund, if you started after 1/1/90, you have to work til you are 62. Think about that. Start at 22. Work 40 at Big Brown. I am lucky. I can leave now and pay $600 a month for my insurance. Add my Wife? $800. Someone did something very wrong and they are long gone living the Life

Its sad to see pensions suffer like that. But i cant blame them for tightening up their retirement benefits. At the end of the day, they cant pay out benefits they dont have. They have a fiscal responsibility to keep the pension solvent, even if it means cutting benefits