march 2010 rebid for 22.3

22.34life

I am a22.3 in texas and i am pretty sure most of the article guys know this but just in case you dont in march 2010 there will be a one time bid for all 22.3 jobs it outlines the procedure in the contract.the language seems pretty clear to me it says the bid will be by senority within classifacation and list the class. as follows inside/inside,inside/air,inside/feeders.Im just wondering if any 22.3 guys have heard how exactly this will be done.are they going to put all the jobs up for bid or will they just go on a case by case basis if the guy wants to switch.I have talked to my b.a. about it and cant get a clear answer.Another thing is that alot of drivers think they should be able to bid on these jobs.my b.a. says that he sees it as a rebid between the 22.3 guys only but that he is sure there will be grievances filed on it and that quite possible it could go to arbatration.I think that the rebid is bs i bid on my job fair and square and dont think i should have to rebid.i have been 22.3 since 2002 so i am not to worried about it.What i am worried about is ups doing some shady smile* to get rid of these jobs when this bid happens especially with whats going on with 22.3 jobs now in certain places.Would like to hear from some people about what they know ,thanks

Babagounj

Strength through joy
get a hold of a current bid sheet listing all 22.3 jobs, and compare it to the new listings,
What you will find is that some jobs just aren't there anymore, the company will claim that they have been moved , but will be unable to say just where.
My next bid comes up Feb 2010 ( 2 yr ) and I know several slots will be gone, hopefully mine is one of them { I really don't like this work as directed bs, I want a job that is defined }.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
get a hold of a current bid sheet listing all 22.3 jobs, and compare it to the new listings,
What you will find is that some jobs just aren't there anymore, the company will claim that they have been moved , but will be unable to say just where.
My next bid comes up Feb 2010 ( 2 yr ) and I know several slots will be gone, hopefully mine is one of them { I really don't like this work as directed bs, I want a job that is defined }.

How many jobs are gone there?

Here we have around fifteen 22.3 jobs that have been axed, including mine. They already hired a part-timer to replace my clerk job half.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
a couple have had the start time adjusted, but none have been axed yet.

just waiting for the next bid list to appear. looks like carwash / preload for me{ except I don't plan on working the second half }.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
According to the national master agreement " the number of 22.3 job shall not be reduced" so how are they getting away with eliminating them in your buildings?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
According to the national master agreement " the number of 22.3 job shall not be reduced" so how are they getting away with eliminating them in your buildings?

The number shall not be reduced.

Here is how.

UPS is eliminating them and then claiming ( outright lying in the process) that the jobs are being moved elsewhere.

They are doing this nationwide and just allowing the locals to grieve on a case-by-case basis ( "go ahead grieve away, your jobs are gone, kthx" ) , in some cases they will be won becuase of strong language in the supplements and in others probably lost because of weak language, or because the locals did not actually even try to maintain a list and buying UPSs back pocket.

Our local, from what I have seen anyway, has been watching the number of jobs and grieving.

Unfortunately the International and Hoffa is well aware that this is going on but laying down. Remember, these jobs were won during the days of Ron Carey when the Teamsters faught hard for full-time America at UPS and those days are long gone.

22.34life

thanks for the feedback but im looking for something along the lines of the 2010 march biding deal.I already know that these things are happening elsewhere but im wanting to know does anyone know how this bid is going to be done.in my building there are at least 50 22.3 jobs and to place all those jobs up at one time for bid would be total confusion.A big part of my question is has anyone heard that drivers will be allowed to bid on these jobs,many in my building think that they should.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
thanks for the feedback but im looking for something along the lines of the 2010 march biding deal.I already know that these things are happening elsewhere but im wanting to know does anyone know how this bid is going to be done.in my building there are at least 50 22.3 jobs and to place all those jobs up at one time for bid would be total confusion.A big part of my question is has anyone heard that drivers will be allowed to bid on these jobs,many in my building think that they should.

When was your last bid, if ever? What union local do you come from? If there is a rebid and your local does not normally do bids-it is likely because you have had 22.3 jobs cut and the company "moved" them (see my above post). Since now your local is out of jobs, the bottom 22.3s will likely be cut. And the rebid is to balance off the 22.3 list.

22.34life

okay maybe i was not explaining this whole thing right and it was my fault.here is the whole story.in the southern region supplemental agreement article 48 section 10 reads as follows "(a) seniority will be by building and job classification.the classifications shall be air,air-inside combination,inside-inside combination and shifter combination.full tme inside employees and 22.3 combination employees in the same job classifications will be on the same seniority list for the purpose of vacation,bidding and layoff.(b) the employer shall designate starting times and sorts by classification and there will be a one (1) time bid on march 1,2010 qualified employees by classification shall bid within their classification by seniority.employees must be prequalified on their own time."this is the rebid i was talking about.sorry i didnt know it was in the supplemental agreement but now that i have all the facts strait does anyone under the southern region agreement have any idea how this will work cause i sure dont.sorry again for not being clear in the first post.I have talked to my buisness agent and the rebid is going to happen details are not clear yet though.

brett636

That clears it up a little bit. I was thinking you meant all 22.3's across the country were going up for rebid, and I didn't remember ever reading nor hearing about such a rebid. From your last post it appears its something to do with your supplement in which your BA should be pressed hard for answers on how this is going to work. In my building once you bid into a 22.3 you are there until you bid out to another 22.3 combo job that becomes open or move into air shuttle driving, package car, or feeders. As far as drivers being able to bid on combo jobs, that is something that is figured out locally. I know here package car drivers cannot bid into combo jobs, but I've heard they do in other parts of the country. Some of this nonsense being pullled over on 22.3 combos is certainly disheartening. Makes me wonder if/when this BS comes to my building and me and or my fellow combo workers will be fighting to keep our jobs.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Local 25 bid involves all full time employees; anyone can bid on any job full time by seniority in any of our buildings; Boston Logan Gateway, South Boston, Somerville, Watertown, Norwood, and Chelmsford.
In reality most just stay at their current slot, some move within their centers,some move into feeders,and the lowest seniority one usually have to find a new "home" somewhere. The very last jobs to be taken {usually these people are forced to take } are the 22.3 combo of Tues-Sat air drivers.