March National Grievance Committe results

air_dr

What were the results, if any, from the National Grievance Committe that met in Ft. Lauderdale this just passed March?

TDU, on their website, makeupsdeliver.org has been very good about posting results in the past. Over a month has gone by now, and I see no follow up.

Does anyone know what, if anything was settled there?

air_dr

For Grievance Committee meetings past, especially the air committee, which has been of particular interest to me, TDU has been very good about promptly posting the results, even if the results were, basically, that very little was resolved.

JonFrum

From TDU:

UPS Information Brownout
May 10, 2011

The UPS National Grievance Panel was held more than two months ago. So why haven’t the decisions been issued yet?

UPS Teamsters have been waiting since March 9 to get the decisions. But the International Union still hasn’t issued the minutes. What gives?

The next UPS National Grievance Panel was originally scheduled for June. But now that panel has been postponed until September.

UPS Teamsters will have to wait six months between panels to have their grievances heard. Justice delayed is justice denied.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
From TDU:

UPS Information Brownout
May 10, 2011

The UPS National Grievance Panel was held more than two months ago. So why haven’t the decisions been issued yet?

UPS Teamsters have been waiting since March 9 to get the decisions. But the International Union still hasn’t issued the minutes. What gives?

The next UPS National Grievance Panel was originally scheduled for June. But now that panel has been postponed until September.

UPS Teamsters will have to wait six months between panels to have their grievances heard. Justice delayed is justice denied.

We have a payroll shortage from PEAK (employee missing 4 hrs OT, 22.3) still yet, not settled, in our local. It took them 6 months to get someone elses payroll shortage made whole w/ NO penalty!!!

What's the deal? Nationally?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My last shortage, I was "counseled" that I should just take the straight settlement. Yeah, right.:speechless::speechless:

The same way all of our grievances are settled for half. (this is a practice that is widespread) So if a sup works 4 hours, the only way to get 4 hours is to file for 8.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The same way all of our grievances are settled for half. (this is a practice that is widespread) So if a sup works 4 hours, the only way to get 4 hours is to file for 8.
I told me BA, it is my grievance and the only person who has the right to settle is me! My grandfather would get out of his grave and hunt me down if I let some piss-ant BA tell me what I will accept on my grievance.
That is a legal document. That is why it take a lot for me to file. If they push me to put pen to paper, they better expect I will get every thing I asked for and will never settle.:biting:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I told me BA, it is my grievance and the only person who has the right to settle is me! My grandfather would get out of his grave and hunt me down if I let some piss-ant BA tell me what I will accept on my grievance.
That is a legal document. That is why it take a lot for me to file. If they push me to put pen to paper, they better expect I will get every thing I asked for and will never settle.:biting:

There is no one like that in our local anymore. Sad to say. It is all about tit for tat and trading them away.

Integrity

Binge Poster
menotyou,

This is not true.

Read your grievance form.

The one I am reading states that you are signing over representation to the Local Union and that their decision is binding.

To your point, a decent union official will allow the grievant to participate and have much to say about the settlement.

Sincerely,
I

Nimnim

The Nim
menotyou,

This is not true.

Read your grievance form.

The one I am reading states that you are signing over representation to the Local Union and that their decision is binding.

To your point, a decent union official will allow the grievant to participate and have much to say about the settlement.

Sincerely,
I

Gotta throw some info here to supplement I.

Towards the bottom of a grievance form from my local 385 right above the signatures.

By presenting this grievance, the employee grants the Union complete authority to present, negotiate and bargain regarding this grievance and agrees to be bound by such disposition of the grievance as may be made or agreed to by the union or its designated representative.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Towards the bottom of a grievance form from my local 385 right above the signatures.

Maybe that is why all my grievances are in letter form mailed to the union hall. I haven't signed an actual form in a while. I developed an allergy to signing things.:wink2:

I understand the theory behind the wordage on the form, but it does NOT give the union the right to screw over the employee. If the employee can show he/she was not adequately represented, they can file charges with the NLRB. The point of having a union rep, is for them to look out for YOUR best interest. Considering how many times I was "counseled" to settle and didn't, just validates my argument(in my mind).

Integrity

Binge Poster
Maybe that is why all my grievances are in letter form mailed to the union hall. I haven't signed an actual form in a while. I developed an allergy to signing things.:wink2:

I understand the theory behind the wordage on the form, but it does NOT give the union the right to screw over the employee. If the employee can show he/she was not adequately represented, they can file charges with the NLRB. The point of having a union rep, is for them to look out for YOUR best interest. Considering how many times I was "counseled" to settle and didn't, just validates my argument(in my mind).
menotyou,

Being bound by the decision of your local representation and filing charges for failure to adequately represent you are seperate and related.

Let me explain.

You are bound by the decision however, if you disagree with the decision then you are correct, your recourse is to file charges with the NLRB.

Have you ever filed charges against the union with the NLRB?

What were the issues?

If not comfortable with open forum, please PM the issues?

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
menotyou,

Being bound by the decision of your local representation and filing charges for failure to adequately represent you are seperate and related.

Let me explain.

You are bound by the decision however, if you disagree with the decision then you are correct, your recourse is to file charges with the NLRB.

Have you ever filed charges against the union with the NLRB?

What were the issues?

If not comfortable with open forum, please PM the issues?

Sincerely,
I

I have never filed charges. I was close. The issue was my BA doing his job. He wouldn't return anyones calls, including stewards. The building was in shambles as far as management running over us. His solution, 3 years later, was to take one of our full-time drivers( a buddy at the time) and make him our building's BA. That lasted til last Friday, when the new BA went back to his driving job. Issues was the reason. The issues haven't changed since before the last election. The simple problem is- our new president/previous BA is in over his head. He thought it was a popularity contest and realized, too late, it is actually a very hard job. The stress is getting to him, as he has gained about 80 lbs. No joke. He is a walking heart attack. I joke about him being a hamburgler, because pulling him aside and discussing the concern has failed. He is a decent guy, just not a good fit for the post.

Thank you for the information, as always. You are an informative individual. I pick on you sometimes because it seems all you do is ask questions, but I must admit, I was wrong. I am sorry if I was hurtful to you.:dissapointed:
I was raised better.

iowa boy

On the bottom of the grievance form I just filled out there is no reference to giving the union any authority to bargain or negotiate with this grievance.

JonFrum

On the bottom of the grievance form I just filled out there is no reference to giving the union any authority to bargain or negotiate with this grievance.

It isn't necessary for the words to appear at the bottom of the grievance form. All unions have the right to handle your grievance just about any way they want, so long as they do not violate any laws. They have broad discression. Even if they do violate a law, nothing will happen to them unless the grievant actually prosecutes them in court.

Your union representative is not your personal representative. He is the bargaining unit's representative. Unions are a collectivist arrangement. As long as the union representative has a semi-legitimate reason, he can decline to process your grievance, or throw you under the bus during any stage of the grievance process, all in the name of the Greater Good of the bargaining unit. That's the law.

iowa boy

It isn't necessary for the words to appear at the bottom of the grievance form. All unions have the right to handle your grievance just about any way they want, so long as they do not violate any laws. They have broad discression. Even if they do violate a law, nothing will happen to them unless the grievant actually prosecutes them in court.

Your union representative is not your personal representative. He is the bargaining unit's representative. Unions are a collectivist arrangement. As long as the union representative has a semi-legitimate reason, he can decline to process your grievance, or throw you under the bus during any stage of the grievance process, all in the name of the Greater Good of the bargaining unit. That's the law.

Okay, Okay, point taken.:peaceful: