March Over, Will Volume Plummet?

MassWineGuy

Today was a very light day at my station. Light enough that I and many other pm people left early.

Someone at work suggested that during March most businesses fulfilled orders that came in February. Now that it’s April, there are few March orders in the pipeline, which will translate into much less freight volume.

What are your thoughts?

I am FedEx

I’ve already attempted to elaborate on this subject. A few couriers stated they were having increased volume, however I would like to see their stations inbound total volume.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Usually the first days of the month are always busy after businesses ship stuff out just to get it off their monthly books.

HedleyLamarr

The PM routes are definitely getting the worst of it. With so many businesses closed, some pup drivers have only drop boxes to get. If they arrived back at the station around 8 before, now they get back around 6:45-7. Plus, there start times have been moved back.

The economic forecasts are Great Depression like. We are in for very rough times, ya'll; time to start canning like our grandparents did.

Serf

Yeah, I would agree. PM routes collapsed, some expanding coverage into multiple towns, etc. volume at night about 50% less. However, speaking for myself; out mornings are still consistent. At least for now.

MassWineGuy

Hedley’s remarks match what I’m seeing. Looks like I’ll need to sign up for occasional morning work. Yuck.

Not that it’s a bright side, but can you imagine how more dismal it would be if this thing began in October or November?

bacha29

The PM routes are definitely getting the worst of it. With so many businesses closed, some pup drivers have only drop boxes to get. If they arrived back at the station around 8 before, now they get back around 6:45-7. Plus, there start times have been moved back.

The economic forecasts are Great Depression like. We are in for very rough times, ya'll; time to start canning like our grandparents did.
Some of you guys for the first time in your lives might just have to learn to live off the land.

Serf

Some of you guys for the first time in your lives might just have to learn to live off the land.
My canned chicken, tuna, beans, rice, cream of wheat, instant coffee, & Seagrams 7 will only last me until May. Then I’ll eat the cat.

El Morado Diablo

Our inbound volume has dropped, especially for businesses. We expected to see an increase in residential volume but it really hasn't happened yet.

Our outbound volume has actually increased. We've suspended about 10% of our regular pups but we have some shippers who are actually having some of their best days ever.

SmithBarney

Don't know but today is the heaviest day I've had since PEAK.
Our outbound is up(at least temporarily) we have several Amazon sellers that are getting bumped from Amazon, so they are sending their own stuff out, accounting for 75% of our outbound(yeah it's a lot, basically tripled our outbound)

McFeely

Huge Member
Also heavy inbound today. I look at our SRA routes’ stop counts to see generally just how busy. My neighboring route had about 30 more stops than his normal busy days.

CatMan

Usually the first days of the month are always busy after businesses ship stuff out just to get it off their monthly books.
Same over here , but we have staffing, people know that a significant drop off is iminent , so they're taking the hours now .