Marketing for Dummies

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The corporate geniuses at Verizon Wireless apparently didn't pay attention to the backlash Bank of America received when it wanted to charge customers $5 per month for the privilege of using their debit cards has decided to start charging a $2 monthly convenience fee for those customers who pay their bills online. Although the fee would extend only to those customers making a one-time payment on their accounts and would not affect most subscribers, reaction has been swift and predictable.

bbsam

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, is that part of the fine print in cell phone contracts that says the company can and will add charges where and when they find it financially beneficial to do so?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It didn't take very long for VZW to see the error of their ways and shelve their plans to charge a $2 monthly "convenience fee". The same lady who started the Bank of America online pledge started one for VZW.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I bill pay all my accounts, I was going to change carriers if Verizon started charging me two bucks to pay them online. One of the many reasons I cancelled five phones with AT&T was because they wanted to charge you two dollars if you walked into their store and tried to pay them in person. Verizon wants to bill my checking account automatically, I prefer to pay bill when I want to. I don't like companies having access to my bank accounts. There are cheaper cell phone companies out there

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think this got fairly distorted from what Verizon was actually planning to do.
The only time they were going to charge the $2 was when you went to their website and make a one-time payment using a credit card.
There is a transactional cost to use a credit card and there is a charge (typically 40-50 cents average) to verify a credit card.

Don't really care one way or the other if they backed down since I pay by everything using internet banking.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think this got fairly distorted from what Verizon was actually planning to do.
The only time they were going to charge the $2 was when you went to their website and make a one-time payment using a credit card.
There is a transactional cost to use a credit card and there is a charge (typically 40-50 cents average) to verify a credit card.

Don't really care one way or the other if they backed down since I pay by everything using internet banking.

Convenience fees are not uncommon. I have my home/auto insurance through State Farm and if I choose to split my auto insurance bill in to 2 payments I pay $2 for the privilege.

Hoke is right--the proposed change would have affected a very small percentage of customers but was distorted and ultimately scrapped. I have vzw and pay monthly through their website but do not have automatic monthly withdrawals.

texan

Ok do not laugh.. I am not a on the cell phone and texting every moment type of person. I opted for an
AT&T pay as you use it cell phone. They charge (as Hoaxster mentioned above) .50 for an online refill by credit card.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am also not an on the cell phone and texting every moment of the day type person. I can't wait until my kids are no longer on my plan as I also intend to switch to a "pay as you use" cell phone plan.

texan

My boss, my bosses boss, my bosses boss boss, and 3/4 of the adult population in this area text and drive and talk on
their cell phones. I get the "what you don't" ? :surprised:

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I am also not an on the cell phone and texting every moment of the day type person. I can't wait until my kids are no longer on my plan as I also intend to switch to a "pay as you use" cell phone plan.

I was thinking of the same thing once my Son is off our plan (USAF June...yippie!!!) because my wife and i have never texted or emailed. I think between us we use maybe 100mins a month.

wkmac

android-phone.jpg
android-phone.jpg