Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ziffle, Sep 11, 2007.

  1. ziffle

    ziffle New Member

    Where does the name "masher" that we call the largest package car come from?
  2. Lobofan5

    Lobofan5 New Member

    Mashers is an old term, goes back to the gladiator days. Back then if you had the largest chariot in the arena it was called 'the masher'..the name has just kind of stuck for the package cars.

    Just kidding, I don't have a clue.:lol:
  3. Cementups

    Cementups Box Monkey

    I have never heard anyone call anything a masher.
  4. over9five

    over9five Moderator Staff Member

    "Just kidding, I don't have a clue."

    LOL, that was great! You had me going there!

    I'm with Cementups, tho, I've never heard the term "masher'.
  5. Leftinbuilding

    Leftinbuilding Active Member

    Never heard of it either. Does anyone else refer to the 24 ft container trucks as the 'Hun"? Maybe that's only local.

    BTW Lobo, I fell for it too. You would be good at "Malarky".
  6. scratch

    scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

    When I first started driving, it was an old Ford tiltcab 24 footer that had a funny looking air dam mounted over the cab. It was a Feeder Department hand-me-down. City van 40003 was nick-named "Darth Vader".
  7. hazmatguru

    hazmatguru New Member

    I've never heard of any of those terms. We call the 24 foot straight trucks BBT's (as in big brown trucks).
  8. over9five

    over9five Moderator Staff Member

    Remember when package cars were called "brownies"?

    Never hear that anymore...
  9. fryguy379

    fryguy379 New Member

    we call the 24'er "The Moose" and the p15 " herbies"
  10. satellitedriver

    satellitedriver Moderator

    Maybe I am just old.
    The only way I have heard the term "masher" is in reference to a greasy guy "hitting up" or trying to "cop a feel" on a woman.
  11. fryguy379

    fryguy379 New Member

    we call the 24' truck " The Moose" and the little p15 "herbies"
  12. JustTired

    JustTired free at last.......

    Makes sense to me. After they load all the over 70s on top of everything else, the pkgs on the bottom look like they went through the "masher".
  13. satellitedriver

    satellitedriver Moderator

    If you get in front of it, it will mash ya.
  14. swampy1

    swampy1 New Member

    Package cars get called all kinds of things, just depends on the part of the country you live in. We call 24 footers "pigs" Who would have thunk it!
  15. voodoolord

    voodoolord Trailer Maggot

    We have a masher. Its the truck that takes packages to the airport on saturday.
  16. hazmatguru

    hazmatguru New Member

    We had a 6 cube that took the Next Day Air to the airport. We called it Air Force One.
  17. Big Babooba

    Big Babooba Well-Known Member

    We had two of those old Ford C 600 tilt cabs.They were hand-me-downs from the NYC furniture operation.
  18. Captain America

    Captain America SuperDAD to the rescue

    For some reason I always call ours "The War Wagon", probably because I only ever drove it at peak or student move in when things are nuts.
  19. ups138518

    ups138518 New Member

    We call our 24 footers "Big Bertha"