Masks and gloves - Is your hub providing?

Observer

Last Friday, mangement came around and stated that we would be provided with masks and gloves. Yesterday, once you entered the building, one noticed a large sign with info provided on "how to" make your own masks. ON a different note, we finally got tape on the belts for "social distancing." We are in Central States. Is there any information on what UPS is "supposed to" provide to "essential workers" in the workplace. Where should one file a complaint? Would it be better to file anonymous with OSHA or try to get the union involved? Haven't spotted any stewards currently on any shifts. The stupid stores are "donating" masks and gloves to the local hospitals so the general public cannot obtain them. Any suggestions? Management is always lying to us - so was not disappointed to see the "how to" directions.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is there any information on what UPS is "supposed to" provide to "essential workers" in the workplace.

Yes.

Article 18

"The Employer and the Union agree that the safety of the employees and the general public is of utmost importance."

Would it be better to file anonymous with OSHA or try to get the union involved?

"Notwithstanding the employee’s right to contact federal, state or local agencies, it is the recommendation of the committee that issues and concerns, regarding this Agreement, should first be brought before the National Safety and Health Committee."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

File a grievance.

You can file charges with OSHA. If you do, sign your name.

No gut's.... no glory.

-Bug-

over9five

Staff member
We've (chema feeders) had bleach water, towels, and gloves for about two weeks now.
They added masks to that yesterday.
Office staff is wearing the masks. They should, if one catches it in that little dispatch office they're all going down.

Indecisi0n

We've (chema feeders) had bleach water, towels, and gloves for about two weeks now.
They added masks to that yesterday.
Office staff is wearing the masks. They should, if one catches it in that little dispatch office they're all going down.
.....kiss ass

542thruNthru

20200408_083532.jpg

hexmurph

We've had hand sanitizer for about 10 days. They are spraying bleach water everywhere. Gloves are not widely available, but if you want a pair and are willing to ask around you can get them.

Full time sups are all on bathroom duty, I'm sure they love that. They removed the tables and chairs from all the break rooms.

Last night they had a table with brown fabric swatches and a lady to teach you how to turn it into a mask.

We had our first case in the hub yesterday and the DM stopped and spoke to each employee at the gaurd shack to advise us about it.

This is DFW air gateway

FreedomOne

No mask, no hand sanitizer, a few gloves which our belt sup personally purchased, and no disinfectant. I have my own cache of mask and gloves.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Would wear a mask but it’s 90 outside and I prefer not to pass out. Just leave the box and anyone that gets close to me getting pepper sprayed.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Last Friday, mangement came around and stated that we would be provided with masks and gloves. Yesterday, once you entered the building, one noticed a large sign with info provided on "how to" make your own masks. ON a different note, we finally got tape on the belts for "social distancing." We are in Central States. Is there any information on what UPS is "supposed to" provide to "essential workers" in the workplace. Where should one file a complaint? Would it be better to file anonymous with OSHA or try to get the union involved? Haven't spotted any stewards currently on any shifts. The stupid stores are "donating" masks and gloves to the local hospitals so the general public cannot obtain them. Any suggestions? Management is always lying to us - so was not disappointed to see the "how to" directions.
Do this plus what @BigUnionGuy just posted....

Search the topics i have listed below because they are corporate's comprehensive guidelines for management and hourly and it is parallel with the CDC's mandates.

(Get ready to be upset.)

* Enhanced novel coronavirus measures. There are three pages in this forum that explicitly tell management what they are to adhere to. Read it all, print it, and pass it around at work to your stewards. Then make it happen.

*Cleaning frequently touched surfaces in operations. This is extremely good to be aware of and pass out as well.

*Updates to obtaining consignee signatures; safety ride-along procedures. READ the Ride-along procedures...both pages. Know your rights.

*COVID-19: Delivery protocols for customer requests.

*PCM-Use of masks and other face coverings.

Note!

In the "conclusion" section at the bottom it claims that "UPS is adhering to all government regulations for cleanliness, hygiene, and other prevention processes for COVID-19".

:bsbullf:

Much of this can be found listed under "COVID" and if you click on the "safety" topic on the left you'll find much more info that the company is NOT adhering to.

At all.

One driver in our area is in ICU in a induced coma. His wife is in ICU as well.

This is life or death for some.

Help your brothers and sisters with this and stand tall!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
We've had hand sanitizer for about 10 days. They are spraying bleach water everywhere. Gloves are not widely available, but if you want a pair and are willing to ask around you can get them.

Full time sups are all on bathroom duty, I'm sure they love that. They removed the tables and chairs from all the break rooms.

Last night they had a table with brown fabric swatches and a lady to teach you how to turn it into a mask.

We had our first case in the hub yesterday and the DM stopped and spoke to each employee at the gaurd shack to advise us about it.

This is DFW air gateway
They are not allowed to spray bleach water anywhere except onto a towel!
20200408_194807.jpg

It's written in their own rules on page 2 of the "Cleaning frequently touched surfaces in operations" section listed in upsers.com.

They dont read their own corporate rules.
SMH

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Two weeks ago we were being told that masks and gloves should be saved for medical professionals?

Now there has been an about face??

Far be it from me to defend UPS, but how does UPS comply with such fluid restrictions???

"If the Titanic was able to stop, or turn on a dime, it never would have hit the iceberg".

I will say it again, "Why Now"???....and will we ride this momentum for a better tomorrow???

Last edited:

PT Crazy

Everything that is provided is for drivers only. Nothing being communicated to part timers. Some hub people are bringing in their own gloves and wipe.

When a whole shift gets gutted.....whatever!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Two weeks ago we were being told that masks and gloves should be saved for medical professionals?

Now there has been an about face??

Far be it from me to defend UPS, but how does UPS comply with such fluid restrictions???

"If the Titanic was able to stop, or turn on a dime, it never would have hit the iceberg".

I will say it again, "Why Now"???....and will we ride this momentum for a better tomorrow???
Probably because of the black eye they've been getting in the mainstream media by their own employees postings of the reality that exists vs the propaganda the company has responded with when asked what measures they've taken to protect their frontline "essential" workers.

The CDC guidelines are and have been very clear and posted on the company's own website. The mandates are not complied with.

This Titanic, compared to most companies has the resources to comply on a dime with the most basic directives but has failed in so many ways until it got into the media. Still, many of those directives have not been implemented and the powers that be are expecting the problem to spike shortly.

Btw...2 months ago the company was flying 2 million masks from the USA to China...and touted their benevolence.

Today, automatic hand sanitizers arent even in place at entrances or exits as demanded in their own literature.

And people blame the union?

Some of us are on the frontlines still and the labor managers arent buying us beers at panels. Our lives haven't changed and neither has the company.