Massive pileup I-78 in PA

Purplepackage

I thought PA was tough on speeders as I seem to recall signs for targeted enforcement with the corresponding fines.

The highways in this part of PA are old and not equipped to handle the volume that now travels on them. We're talking about a stretch of interstate that basically runs through what was once just farm towns.

But that's no longer the case

Cementups

Box Monkey
I hate do drive that stretch of road on a dry bright sunny day much less in a snow squall. It just so tight and close. Those
Hamburg exits and entrances used to be brutal. That whole stretch from Fogelsville to Hamburg has to be completely redone.

That whole section was just redone about 6-7 years ago. But it is so heavily trafficked now that it is already getting chewed up pretty good. Before they redid it all you couldn't even think about driving a passenger car in the right lane. It was like driving over a washboard. Half of your fillings would be rattled out of your teeth by the time you got to the other end.

oldupsman

That whole section was just redone about 6-7 years ago. But it is so heavily trafficked now that it is already getting chewed up pretty good. Before they redid it all you couldn't even think about driving a passenger car in the right lane. It was like driving over a washboard. Half of your fillings would be rattled out of your teeth by the time you got to the other end.

Yes but I'm talking about widening the road,shoulders,everything. And now you're right, it needs to be repaved again. Might as well do it right.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I just noticed those the other day on my way in. I almost never use 501 though.

The current focus has been and will probably continue to be 61

I live outside of Hershey and I only use the length of 78 when I go to my brother's in Nazareth (191). Otherwise I only go as far as 183 to go to Reading to my aunts or grandparents.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I thought PA was tough on speeders as I seem to recall signs for targeted enforcement with the corresponding fines.

The PSP really likes to target cars with NY tags.

Yes but I'm talking about widening the road,shoulders,everything. And now you're right, it needs to be repaved again. Might as well do it right.

I was talking with my BIL yesterday, and he was telling me that he is involved in rebuilding/redirecting a lot of I83 and I81 to increase traffic flow.

But, he also said they were guessing around 16 billion to do what PADot wants.

MoarTape

I was talking with my BIL yesterday, and he was telling me that he is involved in rebuilding/redirecting a lot of I83 and I81 to increase traffic flow.

But, he also said they were guessing around 16 billion to do what PADot wants.

Would be nice if they had a plan like that over here. i376 has been over capacity since it opened. Someone was sleeping when they doled out the interstate monies.