Massive retirements in 2013?

U

uber

I was talking the other day with a Union Rep and he said after the new contract passes in 2013 to look for a massive amount of retirements. He said it could be one of the biggest cycles of retiring drivers in 10 years and it might mean they hire drivers with less than a year of seniority.

Does this always happen after a new contract, or am I being a fed a line of BS?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'd imagine that drivers on the cusp of retiring are lookin at the medical bennies and the 30 and out rules first. People will start to hear things and things might get leaked. The one major factor of a lot of people holding out right now is thier 401ks that got trashed the past few years. The market is rebounding very well and that is a scale you can use to see who's gunna say peace out to UPS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The only way folks can retire is if they have enough years in so unless, for some reason, an unusually large amount of drivers will be hitting 25-30 years in 2013 I don't see any reason why it should be all that different from any other year retirement wise.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have probably 15 people out of 60 or so that will have 25 plus in by then I expect a mass exodus over the next 3-5 years.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
There was a big demographic bump from 1975-1985 as we expanded to 48 states and got into Air in a big way. So, I would expect there would be a whole lot of people with 30 to 35 years in 2013 who might choose to retire. If anyone has a bunch of UPS Reports to Shareholders handy, they could look up the number of package drivers in the years 1980 through 1985 and see what a big bump there was those years.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Because of the changes to the NYS Pension Fund, I don't see that happening until after the next contract. Just a guess, not anything to quote.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
25 to 30 years ago the company was going through a huge stage of growth. For the drivers who stayed with UPS over the years would mean many would be at a point in there career to leave. It sure ain't getting any funner or easier. Hard part will be leaving the benefit package.

U

uber

25 to 30 years ago the company was going through a huge stage of growth. For the drivers who stayed with UPS over the years would mean many would be at a point in there career to leave. It sure ain't getting any funner or easier. Hard part will be leaving the benefit package.

Old Brown Shoe, you're from my area. Retire already!! :)

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Man you sound like so many that I work with. I still do the job as well as any of the younger drivers and don't call in sick all the time either. I will leave on my terms when I'm ready. Someday you will have a bunch of low senior drivers waiting around like a bunch of vultures waiting and trying to push you out. The more they bug me the longer I think I'll hang around. That's why they call it seniority.

yeldarb

I have a buddy that worked in the hub for 14 months before he went driving about 5 years ago.

The Key word is 5 years ago.

15 years ago ours was a 2 year wait.
10 years ago it was a 5 year wait.
It has only gone up since then. I think ours is pushing a 10 year wait now. I do know that they havent hired anyone for a while.

brownrod

The only way folks can retire is if they have enough years in so unless, for some reason, an unusually large amount of drivers will be hitting 25-30 years in 2013 I don't see any reason why it should be all that different from any other year retirement wise.

In my center there are numerous drivers who have been eligible to retire for quite some time now. They, for some reason, planned on working through the end of this contract.

My center will see a handful of drivers disappear at the end of this contract.

rod

Retired 22 years
People tend to wait for a new contract hoping that it will be better for them to retire under---------------it never is.

CharleyHustle

This is me. Upgraded in '82 after 5 years part time. I'll be 54 next year. I think at 55 I'll have better options, but to me the job has never been easier. When I think back 25-30 years this job was absolutely hell on wheels. Now with DIADs and EDD you know exactly what you have every day. Performance is just not the only issue any more. Now it's mostly about safety and service, something I can handle fairly easily. The hours are long, but they always have been. I just cruise control everyday now and if it wasn't for the winters I would go till 62.

brownelf

I'm with Charlie on this, turn 55 next year then I'll be on cruise control. Plan to see what the new contract brings and make my decision to stay or go. Worked a long time to get to this point and my performance has waned thru the years but I'll more than likely stay a few more years till all my ducks are lined up.