Max hours and days per week as preload - On Topic

What's the maximum amount of days UPS can work us, and for how long per day, and how many total hours per week?

My understanding is UPS can work handlers up to six days a week (sixth being all overtime), with a maximum of 80 hours a week in a Sunday through Saturday period. Is this correct?

How does this work? Six 13.5h days would be great, but seven days at more hours would be even better.

Does preload work in shifts? Or can I bank on 8pm to 10am? Are we allowed split shifts, like preload for 8 hours and driver helper for six? Do you split shift, or how does this work?

I can do every job in preload except hazmat, and I'm really banking on peak money. I'll be surepost by then, too, and three people with seniority well above me just quit.

Also, I need to be offered better positions before seasonal helpers of all kinds are, right? If a seasonal helper goes out and I wanted it, I can grieve that? What other jobs are available for me to get hours?

Thanks very much for any help. I need to squeeze every penny out of it that I can. If I could do seven days a week and 100 hours I'd do it.

Does the federal contract UPS has trump state laws?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I have never heard of max hours for non driving employees, but I'm sure there has to be a max amount of hours for safety reasons. And no, the contract does not trump state or federal laws.

60947104.jpg

Wish it was. Trying to figure out what my maximum alloted amount of work will be. We have some debt to get out of from a medical emergency a few months ago. I've just been driver helper for peak, never an inside worker until this coming season.

I'd like to know if 60 is the norm or if 80 is, so I can plan out my seasonal mushroom ventures.

Poop Head

Judge me.
My last year as a PTer, I was told I couldn't work past 14hrs of preload start time. It was the best peak ever, home before dark everyday!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My last Helper was working 70 plus hours a week the last Peak, he is a Preloader and he was pulling extra shifts whenever he could. He actually got too exhausted from overworking, he missed a few days.

When does pay become doubletime? Does it? An existing preloader getting pulled to help drivers gets top driver pay yes? They were offering it during a freak heat wave.

Paid sick time is the same, regardless if we are working regular, over, or more, right?

Would a supervisor pair up a driver with a helper who had loaded their car? Right now I'm sure any of the dudes I've loaded for wouldn't mind having me everyday.. and I'd already know where everything is.

polyp

Article 3, Section 7, Subsection C :

"No employee is allowed to work more than two (2) shifts in any twenty-four (24) hour period. "

Which isn't to say that we don't work triple shifters during Peak... we do.

km3

"No employee is allowed to work more than two (2) shifts in any twenty-four (24) hour period. "

They ignore that part here, though. It's mutually beneficial for the company and the union to allow people who want hours to have them. Particularly since they can't keep new hires, even with a weekly attendance bonus. I wish I got a bonus just for showing up, to do my job, every day.

4evapreloader

I'm not aware of a maximum amount of hours. Last year I was working double shifts, but eventually working 5PM to 9AM with maybe an hour or 2 between shifts became too much.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've looked at OR's during peak and have seen people cracking 100 hours. Me personally, the most I've worked is around 75 hours in one week, but at $2,500 or $3,000, the paycheck is taxed down to ~$1500-1700 take home. buzzkill.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

In our hub, (also depending upon work area) the shifts run into each other during peak, so to delineate where one begins and one ends is difficult.

Mr. Marshall

I've looked at OR's during peak and have seen people cracking 100 hours. Me personally, the most I've worked is around 75 hours in one week, but at $2,500 or $3,000, the paycheck is taxed down to ~$1500-1700 take home. buzzkill.
People always say this but your tax rate is your tax rate so unless this extra money happens to move you to a new tax rate (which is very unlikely) you will get it back (or pay less) when you do your taxes. Think of it as a savings account.

PACNW

Here they topped PTs out at 16 hrs per day at peak. Here you get regular helper pay and can't bump seasonals. Most pters preferred to stay inside to maximize OT pay vs being a helper where hours reset.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
People always say this but your tax rate is your tax rate so unless this extra money happens to move you to a new tax rate (which is very unlikely) you will get it back (or pay less) when you do your taxes. Think of it as a savings account.
Wrong. My federal tax rate depends upon how much I make per week. It could be 25%, 35%, or 45% (peak). Maybe I am off by a bit, but working 30 hours, versus 45, versus 60+ makes a large difference. My current regular rate is $30.16/hr or around there. It's a fact that working a 50 hour week, is worth "less" than 40 hours.