Max hours for PT?

Mike Hawk

Last week one of the on car's flipped out and drove out to get me when I was helping because she thought I would not have enough time between shifts(10 hours), but I work local sort all the time and that finishes at 8, preload starts at 3 do the math. The kicker is she drove for about an hour to save me from an extra 10 min as me and the driver were returning to the center, we had 2 misloads to shag on the way in, as were done with his route.

She was also worried about 14 hours punch to punch, which I exceed every day I help, like Friday I started preload at 3:10 and punched out at 19:00.

So anyone know what the hours limits for a PT preloader that can't drive company vehicles are? Max hours for a week, max hours per day, punch to punch and time between punch out and next shift?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Last week one of the on car's flipped out and drove out to get me when I was helping because she thought I would not have enough time between shifts(10 hours), but I work local sort all the time and that finishes at 8, preload starts at 3 do the math. The kicker is she drove for about an hour to save me from an extra 10 min as me and the driver were returning to the center, we had 2 misloads to shag on the way in, as were done with his route.

She was also worried about 14 hours punch to punch, which I exceed every day I help, like Friday I started preload at 3:10 and punched out at 19:00.

So anyone know what the hours limits for a PT preloader that can't drive company vehicles are? Max hours for a week, max hours per day, punch to punch and time between punch out and next shift?

Ok first of all were you doing helper work? Why if so were you working as a helper? Helpers are only allowed during xmas!

If you are a driver dot states you can only work for 14 hours total and must have 10 hours off between shifts. Ptime ftime the dot applies to all drivers.

H

hity

Helpers are allowed during anytime of the year as long as they get help from inside, its only during peak season can they hire on driver helpers from outside.

barrycold

Can I be a driver help if I am already working for UPS? Do they need helpers only in the peak season. Air driver told me that I could be a helper if I wanted hours.

Mike Hawk

Ok first of all were you doing helper work? Why if so were you working as a helper? Helpers are only allowed during xmas!

If you are a driver dot states you can only work for 14 hours total and must have 10 hours off between shifts. Ptime ftime the dot applies to all drivers.

Short staffed on drivers, one went mgt one got canned for DUIs and one retired, they never hired replacements. I usually go out with a driver who is on TAW and he drives an automatic while I deliver. It's either me help a TAW driver do a route, me help a sup do a route, or a sup does the route. Which would be the best choice? When I help my whole day gets paid at 20.28 an hour with OT after 5 so they aren't making a lot of money paying 60/hour for me and the driver do do the route.

PS So anyone (cough mgt people maybe?) know what if any hours limitations there are for PT workers that don't drive?

Mike Hawk

Can I be a driver help if I am already working for UPS? Do they need helpers only in the peak season. Air driver told me that I could be a helper if I wanted hours.
They will post a helper sign up sheet soon, they use inside helpers when they can't fill the positions with outside helpers.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Short staffed on drivers, one went mgt one got canned for DUIs and one retired, they never hired replacements. I usually go out with a driver who is on TAW and he drives an automatic while I deliver. It's either me help a TAW driver do a route, me help a sup do a route, or a sup does the route. Which would be the best choice? When I help my whole day gets paid at 20.28 an hour with OT after 5 so they aren't making a lot of money paying 60/hour for me and the driver do do the route.

PS So anyone (cough mgt people maybe?) know what if any hours limitations there are for PT workers that don't drive?

Mike if your not driving you have no limits on hours worked!

I would file a grievance for several different reasons, the biggest one is because ups is acommodating workers comp (taw) by allowing a driver power steering restrictions.

They will post a helper sign up sheet soon, they use inside helpers when they can't fill the positions with outside helpers.

I was talking a some air drivers at work. They told me that I can be a driver helper if I wanted hours during the day. They said that I would have to go to driving class. Is that true?

Mike Hawk

I was talking a some air drivers at work. They told me that I can be a driver helper if I wanted hours during the day. They said that I would have to go to driving class. Is that true?
I think they send outside helpers to a class, I never got any class I learned on the fly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would file a grievance for several different reasons, the biggest one is because ups is acommodating workers comp (taw) by allowing a driver power steering restrictions.

OK, call me stupid, but how is this a bad thing? UPS is doing their best to make sure this driver is working by assigning him a pkg car w/power steering and providing him with a helper. Would you rather the drive sit at home and collect 1/2 of his regular paycheck from comp?

I would have thought you would have advised filing the grievance on the sup working.

Bloodybrown

If you are not behind a wheel driving, there are no limits to the amount of hours you can work in a week ( there are many people that moonlight with two jobs) Once you are a driver, part time or full time, all DOT rules apply and the employee and the company are responsible for following these rules.

Bloodybrown

OK, call me stupid, but how is this a bad thing? UPS is doing their best to make sure this driver is working by assigning him a pkg car w/power steering and providing him with a helper. Would you rather the drive sit at home and collect 1/2 of his regular paycheck from comp?

Your not stupid, but every local may have different TAW agreements, in some of those agreements its perfectly ok to have a driver be in the seat with a helper while on TAW ( depends on his restrictions ) in other locals around the country its not allowed, it all depends on what the TAW agreement is is between the company and the local union.

Mike Hawk

Mike if your not driving you have no limits on hours worked!
Nice to know, now I just need to convince the on car sup, you have a source by chance?

My BA didn't think we could grieve it because the company is making an effort to get the work done by union employees. Also, which article are you filing on? A agree they shouldn't be using this setup but I am not aware of any way to force them to hire more drivers.

Mike Hawk

If you are not behind a wheel driving, there are no limits to the amount of hours you can work in a week ( there are many people that moonlight with two jobs) Once you are a driver, part time or full time, all DOT rules apply and the employee and the company are responsible for following these rules.
I know there are no laws limiting the work hours, but I am wondering about UPS rules , like hours per day that you can work and time between shifts.

Bloodybrown

I know there are no laws limiting the work hours, but I am wondering about UPS rules , like hours per day that you can work and time between shifts.

There may be in your district but I doubt it. The thing that you need to remember is the company has the right to get the work done at straight time, so if a shift has enough staffing and don't need to pay you o/t they shouldn't and won't. If they don't have the staffing than the company is SOL( seniority prevails) and thats a whole different problem.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am not aware of any work hour restrictions for non dot employees. Seeing that you are getting so many hours already i would say that you could not grieve any one else if they came in early. Just watch that you dont get in the habit of all this ot and stay ptime because of it. I have seen ptimers that make close to drivers pay stay and take advantage of the ot because its after 5 hours for them only to suffer when they retire because the pension is half of what a ftimer would get.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Upstate this is were its different, the wc laws differ from state to state. In ill you receive 66 and 2/3's of your last 52 weeks of income, including ot. When we are on taw its actually a pay cut and we would make more on wc by staying home.
I would have thought you would have advised filing the grievance on the sup working.

If they allow this to happen for more than 30 days this now becomes a new fulltime job, the problem is ups refuses to acommodate p/dqed employees while in a sense cheating the system here.

Of course i dont want the sup working and i would see how long this is going on and the reason why they dont have enough ftime drivers to do the work first. If i wasnt happy with the investigation you can bet i would file on it.

Mike Hawk

I am not aware of any work hour restrictions for non dot employees. Seeing that you are getting so many hours already i would say that you could not grieve any one else if they came in early. Just watch that you dont get in the habit of all this ot and stay ptime because of it. I have seen ptimers that make close to drivers pay stay and take advantage of the ot because its after 5 hours for them only to suffer when they retire because the pension is half of what a ftimer would get.
The way my BA explained it to me is my contribution/hour is the same as a FT, there is no difference between PT and FT pension, except FT puts more hours in and therefore get more pension. For last year I gained 100/month pension benefit working PT. I don't plan on staying PT however, I want to get a job welding mountain bikes together, it would be worth the pay cut from UPS driver so I can work in the field I play in, after all then it's really not work.