Maybe it's Me

ifreak

I have to admit, I don't keep up on the intimate happenings down in Atlanta as much as I probably should. But I read something that disturbed me today. UPS has appointed some doctor to the Board and that got me thinking. Back when I started, in the early days of Jim Kelley, most of the Committee came from inside the company. Many of them, including Jim, were drivers with a great knowledge of the business and what we do because they lived it. That seems to be missing in our company's leadership as of the last 5 or so years. I understand that because we want to expand into the medical field we need to have someone with that expertise, but still it doesn't feel right. It seems that we are chasing the dollar signs rather than honoring the legacy that got us through all those years including the depression and made us successful over the long term. During department meeting we still start the meetings with a policy reading and discussion and yet with every one read it seems there are examples I can think of where it wasn't honored and the policies never seemed more irrelevant. I have noticed that Management uses the word "Partner" less and less over the years. When benefits get a bit worse or the MIP changes or education benefits are cut, I hear "well that is what other companies do". It does bother me when these things happen. It suggests that loyalty is a one way street, which is not the definition of a "Partner". I don't know, maybe it's me.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
During department meeting we still start the meetings with a policy reading and discussion and yet with every one read it seems there are examples I can think of where it wasn't honored and the policies never seemed more irrelevant. I have noticed that Management uses the word "Partner" less and less over the years. When benefits get a bit worse or the MIP changes or education benefits are cut, I hear "well that is what other companies do". It does bother me when these things happen. It suggests that loyalty is a one way street, which is not the definition of a "Partner". I don't know, maybe it's me.

When I hear "partner" now, I know I am about to get worked like a borrowed mule!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
andWe read the Policy Book during our weekly meetings but you do have to read search through the policies to find one that is relevant to the topic you want to support. Lately I've cherry picked still true sentences and left out others that are not quite true anymore. They really need to rewrite the book to reflect the current situation.

As far as Partner, I've have not heard that term in years when it was not followed by a derisive laugh or snicker.

Still a good management atmosphere but it is different ... sorry to bore you as I reminisce.

I think the term "partner" is used when I need something from you...not when we have something to celebrate or we did well on something. Only times I know of the term being used is when something is asked of me (that is usually undesirable) and followed with "because you're a partner." It does seem a bit strange that we are virtually free of UPS'ers on our board and our CEO is someone who has never driven a route. Now, I don't think everyone needs to have delivered a route (though I think it would help), but if we fail to put people with operational backgrounds on our board or mgmt commitee, we are not going to be headed in the right direction. We need someone to realize that we are not an IE company and the people that truly understand the concept of delivery and pickup are our operational folks. I think most people realize this, but it is certainly not being addressed at our upper levels...IMHO.

j13501

We need someone to realize that we are not an IE company and the people that truly understand the concept of delivery and pickup are our operational folks.

In the days prior to our becoming a public company, the head of Engineering was on the Management Committee and (in some cases) the Board of Directors. Today, we no longer have the Senior Vice president for Engineering on the Mgmt Committee.

It goes to show that although we aren't run by Industrial Engineering, there is a great respect at the highest levels of the organization for the benefits they bring to operatonal planning.

brownedout

IT'S NOT YOU, IT'S ME!! Judging by alot of posts in alot of threads it may be as many as 2/3's of us. What's interesting is seeing it in the Partners sub-Forum. UPS defender, what say you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In the days prior to our becoming a public company, the head of Engineering was on the Management Committee and (in some cases) the Board of Directors. Today, we no longer have the Senior Vice president for Engineering on the Mgmt Committee.

It goes to show that although we aren't run by Industrial Engineering, there is a great respect at the highest levels of the organization for the benefits they bring to operational planning.

That is one thing that I notice that the drivers seem to obsess on IE when in fact most, if not all, decisions in this company have been made by Accounting or ex-Accounting people. IE has become just another tool used by the number crunchers.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I think the term "partner" is used when I need something from you...not when we have something to celebrate or we did well on something. Only times I know of the term being used is when something is asked of me (that is usually undesirable) and followed with "because you're a partner." It does seem a bit strange that we are virtually free of UPS'ers on our board and our CEO is someone who has never driven a route. Now, I don't think everyone needs to have delivered a route (though I think it would help), but if we fail to put people with operational backgrounds on our board or mgmt commitee, we are not going to be headed in the right direction. We need someone to realize that we are not an IE company and the people that truly understand the concept of delivery and pickup are our operational folks. I think most people realize this, but it is certainly not being addressed at our upper levels...IMHO.

In our building we have 6 on car sups and 2 dispatch sups of those 8, 1 has ever been a driver. Of the two center managers 1 was a driver for a few years. This seems to be a company wide problem not just here!!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I vividly recall the district manager explaining how management are no longer partners. I'm sure it was part of a pre-written script. It stuck me as odd at the time, but I have learned that most changes are sloooooowwwly implemented. There are subtle hints long in advance.

Get ready, cause the subtle signs add up to a cleverly disguised reduced compensation plan in 2012.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I have to admit, I don't keep up on the intimate happenings down in Atlanta as much as I probably should. But I read something that disturbed me today. UPS has appointed some doctor to the Board and that got me thinking. Back when I started, in the early days of Jim Kelley, most of the Committee came from inside the company. Many of them, including Jim, were drivers with a great knowledge of the business and what we do because they lived it. That seems to be missing in our company's leadership as of the last 5 or so years. I understand that because we want to expand into the medical field we need to have someone with that expertise, but still it doesn't feel right. It seems that we are chasing the dollar signs rather than honoring the legacy that got us through all those years including the depression and made us successful over the long term. During department meeting we still start the meetings with a policy reading and discussion and yet with every one read it seems there are examples I can think of where it wasn't honored and the policies never seemed more irrelevant. I have noticed that Management uses the word "Partner" less and less over the years. When benefits get a bit worse or the MIP changes or education benefits are cut, I hear "well that is what other companies do". It does bother me when these things happen. It suggests that loyalty is a one way street, which is not the definition of a "Partner". I don't know, maybe it's me.

We have to let go of the partnership and policy book. They're dead and gone. We must mourn the loss, let ourselves go through the stages of grief, and determine to be content if we're going to stick around. I'm not stupid, so I also think we have to adapt to the new reality that the company is no longer buying 12 hours a day of our time (or even 10).

PackageManager

We have to let go of the partnership and policy book. They're dead and gone. We must mourn the loss, let ourselves go through the stages of grief, and determine to be content if we're going to stick around. I'm not stupid, so I also think we have to adapt to the new reality that the company is no longer buying 12 hours a day of our time (or even 10).

It does feel that way for many of us, but it is my sincere hope that the organization will once again be run by career UPSers and "Partner" will cease to sound like a bad joke.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I vividly recall the district manager explaining how management are no longer partners. I'm sure it was part of a pre-written script. It stuck me as odd at the time, but I have learned that most changes are sloooooowwwly implemented. There are subtle hints long in advance.

Get ready, cause the subtle signs add up to a cleverly disguised reduced compensation plan in 2012.

You are the second person to make that statement in as many days.....and the other person was not on BC.

sosocal

if you pay close attention you will see that the "legacy, culture, partnership" theory will be employed for some purposes and campaigns-- It reminds us the we are a unique company, incorporated- but not a typical corporation. We are a collective of partners, each owning his or her individual component of the business that we are given stewardship over. We are the unbeatable, can do- "one to one" , "tightest ship" "bleed brown" team that stands above the competition by drawing on a common history, common values and a common mission.

And for other purposes we are just another management group to be "benchmarked" against industry compensation. A management group who can "just quit if you don't like the direction of the company". A management group that "don't think-- becasue the thinking has been done for you". A managment group that can "disagree but not disobey". A management group that "is paid to hit plan". (Have heard each of these gems in the last month).

At least that is why my shrink says I have a management identity crisis:greedy:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
if you pay close attention you will see that the "legacy, culture, partnership" theory will be employed for some purposes and campaigns-- It reminds us the we are a unique company, incorporated- but not a typical corporation. We are a collective of partners, each owning his or her individual component of the business that we are given stewardship over. We are the unbeatable, can do- "one to one" , "tightest ship" "bleed brown" team that stands above the competition by drawing on a common history, common values and a common mission.

And for other purposes we are just another management group to be "benchmarked" against industry compensation. A management group who can "just quit if you don't like the direction of the company". A management group that "don't think-- becasue the thinking has been done for you". A managment group that can "disagree but not disobey". A management group that "is paid to hit plan". (Have heard each of these gems in the last month).

Shrink...who can afford a shrink. My benefits don't include mental health, so I use the industry standard. Same outcome. Want a raise - bang head. Want to work more hours - partner. Want benefits - bang head. Want ridiclous goals - bang head. And so on...
See how it works???

Dragon

Package Center Manager

OMG that is some :rofl:funny stuff.

GoForBroke

...... Now, I don't think everyone needs to have delivered a route (though I think it would help), but if we fail to put people with operational backgrounds on our board or mgmt commitee, we are not going to be headed in the right direction. We need someone to realize that we are not an IE company and the people that truly understand the concept of delivery and pickup are our operational folks. I think most people realize this, but it is certainly not being addressed at our upper levels...IMHO.
Well said!

Obviously having outside directors has the disadvantage that they may not understand UPS and our business and they may have have the same vested interest as somebody who has been here for 20-30 years. However, in some sense, having an outside perspective is a good thing. I'm all for promoting from within and all that jazz. However, I believe that an organization run solely by UPS insiders who have only worked for UPS has a potential to become insular and stale. Having an outside perspective helps to prevent that from happening. Sometimes you need some DNA from the outside to prevent in-breeding. In fact, for a company like UPS which puts such a premium on promoting from within, not having outside perspective is a serious blind spot.

Besides, Sarbanes-Oxley requires outside directors and for good reason. The auditors report to a committee of board members made up primarily of outside directors. This is a check-and-balance against funny business by insiders running the company.