Maybe now is the right time to organize

Ghost in the Darkness

Listen I'm not going to sit here and say unions are always the way go and we have no issues but I couldn't imagine working at ups without having one. Even if only for the collective bargaining.
I talk with the fedex ground driver in my area maybe twice a week or so... nice guy. He tells me they are working 7 days a week out of their center... he gets a day off usually a Monday. He said they are on the 70 hrs per week rule and haven't been allowed to take their vacation time... instead are paid to work through them. Its been a revolving door of new drivers because the are demoralized and many quit with no end in sight.
Maybe its time to say enough is enough and fight together to be treated better.

floridays

Listen I'm not going to sit here and say unions are always the way go and we have no issues but I couldn't imagine working at ups without having one. Even if only for the collective bargaining.
I talk with the fedex ground driver in my area maybe twice a week or so... nice guy. He tells me they are working 7 days a week out of their center... he gets a day off usually a Monday. He said they are on the 70 hrs per week rule and haven't been allowed to take their vacation time... instead are paid to work theough them. Its been a revolving door of new drivers because the are demoralized and many quit with no end in sight.
Maybe its time to say enough is enough and fight together to be treated better.
Not a chance that fedex ground drivers can organize, they aren't employees of fedex corp. in any way. It was designed for that purpose.

Ghost in the Darkness

It wouldn't be easy but it can be done... have drivers had enough is the question. Certainly they can fire them all too but in that same light they may as well kiss it goodbye in the process. Leverage is there... the risk just has to be taken.

Ghost in the Darkness

Fedex, Walmart and Amazon workers wanted to plan one for May 1st. You say its not possible... they can't fill those positions and carry on without taking major damage.
It is possible... the breaking point just hasn't been reached yet

floridays

Fedex, Walmart and Amazon workers wanted to plan one for May 1st. You say its not possible... they can't fill those positions and carry on without taking major damage.
It is possible... the breaking point just hasn't been reached yet
You lack understanding.
The business model, drivers, working for independent contractors makes it a non starter. There is no chance as the business model stands.

MAKAVELI

Tell me how. I'll listen, I won't argue until you finish.
For Ground to organize it would take a massive group of drivers to organize at once to put themselves in a position of power. Same at Express. Once what seemed impossible is actually a very good possibility given the e-commerce explosion and Covid-19. Now is the time if there ever was.

floridays

I gave you the May 1st example... the desire is there. The lack of an organized commitment is all that is missing.
Once again, you lack understanding.
What do Amazon and Walmart workers have in common that fedex ground drivers do not hold in common?

I know the answer, if you come to it on your own you will be convinced.

floridays

For Ground to organize it would take a massive group of drivers to organize at once to put themselves in a position of power. Same at Express. Once what seemed impossible is actually a very good possibility given the e-commerce explosion and Covid-19. Now is the time if there ever was.
I'm still listening, keep talking.
Understand, this is all about ground drivers, not fedex ground employees.
Just making sure we are on the same page pertaining to his original post.

Ghost in the Darkness

So 80% of the workforce strikes... they are all considered fired. Company/contractors need to replace them all and take major damage in the process by replacing experienced workers with off the street hires. Too many to replace and high turnover among those that they hire. Fedex loses shippers left and right. Packages not getting delivered and piling up. Fedex ground circles the drain. Its not possible?

floridays

So 80% of the workforce strikes... they are all considered fired. Company/contractors need to replace them all and take major damage in the process by replacing experienced workers with off the street hires. Too many to replace and high turnover among those that they hire. Fedex loses shippers left and right. Packages not getting delivered and piling up. Fedex ground circles the drain. Its not possible?
No, it isn't.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Fedx is an airline (so they claim) totally different rules for organizing as opposed to a trucking company

this dogs already been beat to death

floridays

No, it isn't.
@Ghost in the Darkness, I noted the funny, set me straight, exactly who would your strike be aimed at? Exactly how many separate union contracts would have to be negotiated against thousands of individual contractors? I've been nice with you. Respond verbally, as well as your funny, if you can counter my statement.
Right now, as things stand I'm holding your balls in my hand before I turn them over to the Mrs.

Bold wasn't that, give me a funny.