Maybe now is the right time to organize

bacha29

For blue collar workers without employer sponsored health plans, the ACA was a fantastic opportunity, with low copays and premium assistance available to almost all blue collar workers with families. And don't spout the idiocy of high deductibles making the health plan unusable. Most health care under the ACA is not even subject to the deductible, and premiums were limited to about 10% of income.
And every time we try to get a modest increase in the federal minimum wage enacted it never gets out of the GOP controlled Senate. The situation got so bad that states finally had to act on their own.

bacha29

The key would be to get the drivers of a sufficient number of contractors organized within the geographical boundaries of a given union local. Contractors in a given terminal are only permitted to control a certain percentage of the routes in that terminal. What you would need to do is to get organized the drivers of the largest contractors in that metro terminal and comprise a sufficient overall percentage of the routes in that terminal. In doing so it wouldn't be quite so easy to terminate that entire group of contractors at once especially if their contracts all expire at the same time.

However at the same time if they expire at different times during the year snuffing out the effort to organize on a broader scale would be a lot easier by simply knocking them off one at a time.

dmac1

And shortly after that contractor comes to an agreement with that union, FedEx will start the process of eliminating that contractor AND their union.

Can't make it any simpler for a simpleton to understand.
So you need to alter replies to make yourself seem bigger????? Wow!!!!!! you really are worthless. What fedex does has nothing to do with the only way under the contract for drivers at ground to unionize. Even someone like like you should be able to see that.

vantexan

Once again as long as the GOP continues to fill you up with guns and bibles you have and will continue to support the GOP no matter what they do to you legislatively. As long as you are a registered Republican support it's platform vote for it's candidates you take the good right along with the bad because the Democrats are under no obligation to protect you from whatever legislation that is harmful to your personal well being and general quality of life the GOP is successful in getting passed into law.
We get enough harm from Democrats letting rioters run wild for me to not worry about what Republicans are doing, lol! Republicans want business to thrive which is great for employment. I'm fine with that.

vantexan

For blue collar workers without employer sponsored health plans, the ACA was a fantastic opportunity, with low copays and premium assistance available to almost all blue collar workers with families. And don't spout the idiocy of high deductibles making the health plan unusable. Most health care under the ACA is not even subject to the deductible, and premiums were limited to about 10% of income.
Sure it was great for those who didn't have healthcare before. But to pay for all those preexisting conditions everybody else saw their premiums and deductibles go way up. Easy for someone with great company paid healthcare say it's no big deal, but for the rest of us it's a big deal.

bacha29

We get enough harm from Democrats letting rioters run wild for me to not worry about what Republicans are doing, lol! Republicans want business to thrive which is great for employment. I'm fine with that.
If what the Republicans did is so great then why are you always on here crying about how you were short changed and unfairly treated by your nonunion employer?

vantexan

If what the Republicans did is so great then why are you always on here crying about how you were short changed and unfairly treated by your nonunion employer?
I'm 100% supportive of unions for companies that treat their employees badly. If hoping a Democrat will get that done so be it. One other thing I liked about Oberstar was he was against abortion being Catholic. No matter what party they're in it's great to see any politician stick to their convictions. I really liked Zell Miller. It took a lot of courage for him to speak at the Republican convention and chide fellow Democrats for not supporting a war time president. I'd vote for Harry Truman too.

bacha29

Sure it was great for those who didn't have healthcare before. But to pay for all those preexisting conditions everybody else saw their premiums and deductibles go way up. Easy for someone with great company paid healthcare say it's no big deal, but for the rest of us it's a big deal.
Or as in your case having no insurance at all. How many times do you have to be reminded that hospitals because of it's charter and licensing cannot deny care to a person with no insurance. And when they can't get the money out of the person or Medicaid they simply pass it back onto insurers in the form of higher fees and charges which in the end gets passed back onto subscribers.

Now the conservative dominated SCOTUS has agreed to take up the ACA after the election. If it's overturned then it's right back to the very beginning where insurers can deny coverage on the basis of preexisting conditions including your diabetes cap lifetime claims paid, giving providers more leeway when it comes to denying care due to the inability to pay, open the door again to these charge premiums but provide nothing meaningful in the way of coverage insurers, drop the ACA requirement that insurers have to use at least 85% of premiums received to actually pay claims.

Is this what you want? If not then what have you to offer as an alternative to the ACA. After all, don't you remember "repeal and replace"? We saw the "repeal" but never saw the "replace" because there never was one to begin with. When it came to an alternative, it was all talk of the GOP but nothing in the way of viable alternatives.

vantexan

Or as in your case having no insurance at all. How many times do you have to be reminded that hospitals because of it's charter and licensing cannot deny care to a person with no insurance. And when they can't get the money out of the person or Medicaid they simply pass it back onto insurers in the form of higher fees and charges which in the end gets passed back onto subscribers.

Now the conservative dominated SCOTUS has agreed to take up the ACA after the election. If it's overturned then it's right back to the very beginning where insurers can deny coverage on the basis of preexisting conditions including your diabetes cap lifetime claims paid, giving providers more leeway when it comes to denying care due to the inability to pay, open the door again to these charge premiums but provide nothing meaningful in the way of coverage insurers, drop the ACA requirement that insurers have to use at least 85% of premiums received to actually pay claims.

Is this what you want? If not then what have you to offer as an alternative to the ACA. After all, don't you remember "repeal and replace"? We saw the "repeal" but never saw the "replace" because there never was one to begin with. When it came to an alternative, it was all talk of the GOP but nothing in the way of viable alternatives.
I have never used medical services of any kind without insurance and am currently insured. I got lucky one time because insurance I had with J.C.Penny was retroactive to 30 days before I got hired which covered my spending a night in a hospital. I'm all for figuring out something that's fair for everyone but not giving insurance to one group at the expense of everyone else. What you don't seem to realize about hospitals passing on the costs to taxpayers as what was happening before was less costly than the current system and we had better coverage to boot. But that's what's not really important is it? What's really important to today's Democrat is government having control over our lives. You won't rest until you're in complete control of others. Because you think Dems know what's best for everyone. Go look at Dem run cities and see the results of your policies.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Or as in your case having no insurance at all. How many times do you have to be reminded that hospitals because of it's charter and licensing cannot deny care to a person with no insurance.
Almost right.

Hospitals cannot refuse EMERGENCY care to the uninsured.

bacha29

Almost right.

Hospitals cannot refuse EMERGENCY care to the uninsured.

But after the uninsured patient is stabilized but still requires additional care and procedures then what do you do? Where do they go? Who pays for it? I might be almost right but you're only half right. So what do you do when a broke and uninsured guy comes into the ER with severe chest pains. They get his condition stabilized but informed the guy , "Hey pal, you need a triple heart bypass as in right NOW".

Again, the cost of treating the broke and uninsured still falls back onto the public and the entire focus of the ACA was to get the otherwise uninsured something in the way of health insurance. And one of the main provisions of the ACA was requiring people to purchase basic health insurance and the lower your income the lower the premiums.

Now if the ACA is overturned it will play right into the hands of a single payer system because it will be the only thing standing in the way of a complete collapse of the nation's healthcare system. It will be either that or healthcare will become the exclusive domain of the wealthy elites.

bacha29

I have never used medical services of any kind without insurance and am currently insured. I got lucky one time because insurance I had with J.C.Penny was retroactive to 30 days before I got hired which covered my spending a night in a hospital. I'm all for figuring out something that's fair for everyone but not giving insurance to one group at the expense of everyone else. What you don't seem to realize about hospitals passing on the costs to taxpayers as what was happening before was less costly than the current system and we had better coverage to boot. But that's what's not really important is it? What's really important to today's Democrat is government having control over our lives. You won't rest until you're in complete control of others. Because you think Dems know what's best for everyone. Go look at Dem run cities and see the results of your policies.
Exactly. You got lucky once........but will you get lucky a second time? I'm not an advocate for a single payer system but if the ACA is overturned next year and a SPS is the only alternative and as you continue to age and your healthcare costs continue to rise as they invariable do for all people if a SPS is the only ticket that gets you into that hospital I guarantee you that you will gladly present the admissions desk with that ticket.

HD219

You'd have to have an entire region of drivers walk out for any sort of change to happen. I've thought about all this before. We had a contractor quit and take all his employees with him. 25% of the terminal. Guess what? Our station is doing fine keeping up with the lost drivers. FedEx called in contractors from all over the region to help deliver the packages. Those guys are making double what we do. Hotels paid for. Meals paid for.
I'd say more than half of the drivers in every station live pay check to pay check. There's no way you'd get enough drivers on board to walk. And then you'll have thousands of drivers all applying for delivery jobs in a :censored2: economy. We just have to accept we get abused by our contractors/FedEx. This is an entry level job. Every entry level job sucks.

bacha29

You'd have to have an entire region of drivers walk out for any sort of change to happen. I've thought about all this before. We had a contractor quit and take all his employees with him. 25% of the terminal. Guess what? Our station is doing fine keeping up with the lost drivers. FedEx called in contractors from all over the region to help deliver the packages. Those guys are making double what we do. Hotels paid for. Meals paid for.
I'd say more than half of the drivers in every station live pay check to pay check. There's no way you'd get enough drivers on board to walk. And then you'll have thousands of drivers all applying for delivery jobs in a :censored2: economy. We just have to accept we get abused by our contractors/FedEx. This is an entry level job. Every entry level job sucks.
Transitional employment. Just a job between jobs. Something to tide you over until the job worth committing yourself to comes along.The key however is to get out before the sheer physical beating begins to show on you to the point where another employer can easily see it on you and won't accept the risks.

The trouble for contractors is that in a quite few parts of the country the supply of healthy young bodies drug free and willing to take the employment is limited. In my neck of the woods the population is washing out leaving for the most part nothing but drug hounds and ageing boomers.

MAKAVELI

It probably cost FedEx double or more to deliver those packages vs the contractor. Multiply that by hundreds or thousands and you might see where that would go. Unionizing any part of FedEx is Freddie's Nightmare on Elm Street.

floridays

So what you're saying is that the Democrats have a moral obligation to somehow overcome YOUR party's formidable opposition to any and all pro worker , pro organized labor bills and initiatives. That fact is obvious given your sharp criticism of the Democrats for their inability in this case to do so. And given that it was YOUR party's bitter opposition your grievance rests with your own party.
Your party had the opportunity to produce for labor, Fedex employees specifically, they whiffed.

Didn't even get the bat off their shoulder.

floridays

Your eyeglasses are fogged, I have supported unionization for years. Your suggestion isn’t realistic, unless you have an unassailable, step by step plan. Do you? Convince me anything but @floridays plan would work. I am eager for you to prove me wrong.
My guess is you've licked as many boots in your life as I have, zero.
These folks can't figure it out.
An opponent must be disabled quickly, brought to their knees, put in the place of not dictating or persuading, but in the position of acquiescence.
Express has that power, ground drivers do not. @dmac1 @MAKAVELI

The bold is directed toward both of you.
Express employees days are numbered with this type of power. This opportunity does not last forever with the power currently held.

Take it or leave it, not an opinion, it's fact.

bacha29

Your party had the opportunity to produce for labor, Fedex employees specifically, they whiffed.

Didn't even get the bat off their shoulder.
However it is quite obvious that your party's powerful well funded opposition to any pro labor legislation is perfectly fine in your opinion.
When it comes to legislation, you get what you vote for and deal with it accordingly. It's just dumb to expect the opposite party to defeat every piece of disdainful legislation your own party tries to pass into law. Take your grievances before your own party and quit expecting the Democrats to protect you from it.

floridays

However it is quite obvious that your party's powerful well funded opposition to any pro labor legislation is perfectly fine in your opinion.
When it comes to legislation, you get what you vote for and deal with it accordingly. It's just dumb to expect the opposite party to defeat every piece of disdainful legislation your own party tries to pass into law. Take your grievances before your own party and quit expecting the Democrats to protect you from it.
I've been quite clear in current events, I'm not a registered republican. That said there is absolutely nothing on the democrat side I could ever support.
You clowns run on supporting labor and when given the chance with both houses and the presidency whiffed pertaining to Fedex Express employees.
There is no other way around it, it was only lip service when the opportunity presented itself.
Wear it.

bacha29

I've been quite clear in current events, I'm not a registered republican. That said there is absolutely nothing on the democrat side I could ever support.
You clowns run on supporting labor and when given the chance with both houses and the presidency whiffed pertaining to Fedex Express employees.
There is no other way around it, it was only lip service when the opportunity presented itself.
Wear it.
Barrack Obama was a minority president 6 of the 8 years he was in the White House. Passing landmark legislation especially labor legislation almost never makes it through in a single 2 year term of Congress. And that's the trouble with the House. No sooner are you sworn in then you have to start campaigning again.