maybe this should be gone over again....production rides

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Im sure ups will be starting a whole issue with overallowed drivers now since the economy is weak. Maybe now is a good time to go over the basics of a production ride and what they can and cannot do to drivers. There are many drivers that have never had a problem, but are overallowed, and could be getting a ride regardless if they are liked by the mgt team or not. Any advice, or personal experiences would be good to go over again, even though its been discussed here a few times already. Maybe add the union angle regarding production and numbers at ups.

New Englander

Something I brought up at my last PCM on safety.

Now that its dark earlier and we have to follow an 8 to 12 second eye lead time. Something that is near impossible on back roads with our crappy lights if your following the posted speed limit.

Are you going to adjust our stop counts to allow for that.

They had no clue but finally got a "We'll need to test that." :)

Driver group got a good laugh!

New Englander

In all honesty why sweat it?

Every center has a couple drivers who are absolute dogs. Have they been fired for that?

Nope usually they get a lighter dispatch.

softshoe

Im sure ups will be starting a whole issue with overallowed drivers now since the economy is weak. Maybe now is a good time to go over the basics of a production ride and what they can and cannot do to drivers. There are many drivers that have never had a problem, but are overallowed, and could be getting a ride regardless if they are liked by the mgt team or not. Any advice, or personal experiences would be good to go over again, even though its been discussed here a few times already. Maybe add the union angle regarding production and numbers at ups.

Drivers get fired for making mistakes, not for being over allowed. So don't worry about production.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
In all honesty why sweat it?

Every center has a couple drivers who are absolute dogs. Have they been fired for that?

Nope usually they get a lighter dispatch.
Our drivers are not dogs. Most stress themselves out, while trying to do a good job.
There are elements the numbers at UPS do not take into consideration. Therefore the numbers mean diddlysquat. DARK and WEATHER being one of them.
Ride along, bring a lunch. because if I am to be berated for numbers, come show me how to be better. FROM beginning to the very end, not until 5pm. Til then, cya when I cya.

satellitedriver

I was an hour under driver for 18yrs (Yes, taking lunch). Pas/Edd, a new time study and I am over 1 to 1/2 hrs each day. Funny thing is that I now run more SPORH than I ever have on the route I have run for 13yrs.
BTW, my center team never says a word, because the center manager knows the IE team really screwed up on the time study.
Why he, (my center manager), does not have the power to call for a review, or new time study, is beyond me.
I will let any Sup ride with me on any given day, or follow me by GPS to prove my production level.

BigBrownSanta

If there really are layoffs next year, more than likely routes will be cut and split up amongst the remaining drivers. If this happens, then a production ride will be useless because you will be delivering to a larger area than what you normally deliver. You can't be expected to be as efficient as the regular driver when you go off area to deliver a split.

JMO.

wornoutupser

I was an hour under driver for 18yrs (Yes, taking lunch). Pas/Edd, a new time study and I am over 1 to 1/2 hrs each day. Funny thing is that I now run more SPORH than I ever have on the route I have run for 13yrs.
BTW, my center team never says a word, because the center manager knows the IE team really screwed up on the time study.
Why he, (my center manager), does not have the power to call for a review, or new time study, is beyond me.
I will let any Sup ride with me on any given day, or follow me by GPS to prove my

My building is on PAS/EDD and we were told that there would be time studies on every run 90 days after implementation.

Now we are told:1) NO time studies, they use what they want
2) NO re-bidding of runs
3) take your warning letter for running over and you will be terminated
if it does not improve!

New Englander

Our drivers are not dogs. Most stress themselves out, while trying to do a good job.
There are elements the numbers at UPS do not take into consideration. Therefore the numbers mean diddlysquat. DARK and WEATHER being one of them.
Ride along, bring a lunch. because if I am to be berated for numbers, come show me how to be better. FROM beginning to the very end, not until 5pm. Til then, cya when I cya.

Oh stop it. Every center has a driver or two who all the other drivers even wonder how they have a job.

pkgdriver

Oh stop it. Every center has a driver or two who all the other drivers even wonder how they have a job.

For sure New Eng...some bigger centers might have 3-4.

Im not sure about ALL other drivers, but when 75%-85% wonder how they have a job that seems like a dog to me.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
For sure New Eng...some bigger centers might have 3-4.

Im not sure about ALL other drivers, but when 75%-85% wonder how they have a job that seems like a dog to me.

how can they assume that everyone will have the same speed, or agility out there. You cannot expect in most cases to have a 55 year old go faster than a 25 year old, even though there are probably a few freaks of nature that could run circles around a young buck. How can you compare a "runner" who is actually running to get done, skipping lunches, etc to someone who is trying their best to follow the methods because this is what is taught to us for safety. I really wish in future contracts this kind of thing would be looked into more than just the " fair days work for a fair days pay".What the hell is that..its so ambiguous. I dont expect some of my "smarter" sups to be exactly like some of the Dumba$$es, so why should they expect me to be like johnny runner who every month you see him they have another brace on, you know first its the knee brace, then the elbow brace, then hes limping around but still is jumping off the top step of the truck....absolutely idiots!! They are usually the ones that the customers are complaining, "what the he!! was wrong with that guy, he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off!" And they think theyre doing a favor to mgt , but once they get hurt mgt is the first ones to throw them to the curb.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
First of all, make sure you have some paper and a stopwatch or wristwatch of your own. At some point during the day, you are going to ask your supervisor to demonstrate the methods and workpace that he wants you to follow. This is where the fun starts.

Once he gets into the driver seat, pull out your pen and paper and start documenting. Using your watch, time how long it takes him to do the various elements of the job. Monitor his SPORH and point out to him when he is failing to maintain the pace he wants you to keep. At every stop, time how long it takes him to enter the vehicle, buckle the seat belt, put the key in and start the engine (7 seconds allowed.) Time how long it takes him to select a package (24 seconds allowed.) Continuously inform him when he is unable to perform these elements of the job in the allowed time. Remind him when he is speeding. Remind him when he is failing to maintain an adequate following distance. Distract and confuse him by saying numbers out loud while he is trying to concentrate on finding an address or memorizing his next stop. Put him on the spot by using his own tactics against him. Break him down. Drive home the point that he cannot do the job as well as you can. Force him to accept the fact that he is totally incapable of living up to the expectations that he is trying to place upon you. Make the production ride such a miserable and humiliating experience for him that he will seek an easier target elsewhere.

New Englander

how can they assume that everyone will have the same speed, or agility out there. You cannot expect in most cases to have a 55 year old go faster than a 25 year old, even though there are probably a few freaks of nature that could run circles around a young buck. How can you compare a "runner" who is actually running to get done, skipping lunches, etc to someone who is trying their best to follow the methods because this is what is taught to us for safety. I really wish in future contracts this kind of thing would be looked into more than just the " fair days work for a fair days pay".What the hell is that..its so ambiguous. I dont expect some of my "smarter" sups to be exactly like some of the Dumba$, so why should they expect me to be like johnny runner who every month you see him they have another brace on, you know first its the knee brace, then the elbow brace, then hes limping around but still is jumping off the top step of the truck....absolutely idiots!! They are usually the ones that the customers are complaining, "what the he!! was wrong with that guy, he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off!" And they think theyre doing a favor to mgt , but once they get hurt mgt is the first ones to throw them to the curb.

Will you guys stop it, my god. Every center has drivers who are just not motivated to do the job well. Stop trying to come up with excuses for it. You'd think I attacked you guys.

When there is a serious difference in production over the regular driver and EVERY other driver to cover that route. When the said drivers bid new routes and it's the same problem - you've got a dog.

I've seen them usually 2 hours more paid over then anyone else to run the route.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Will you guys stop it, my god. Every center has drivers who are just not motivated to do the job well. Stop trying to come up with excuses for it.

When there is a serious difference in production over the regular driver and EVERY other driver to cover that route. When the said drivers bid new routes and it's the same problem - you've got a dog.

I've seen them usually 2 hours more paid over then anyone else to run the route.

Or as UPSMarx would say:
From each according to his abilities, to each according to his speed.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
My advice is to learn the methods and practice them. Then do the best you can. If your numbers aren't right and they ride with you, you have nothing to hide. All you can do is your best.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Some other "dirty tricks" to utilize during your ride:

1. Insist upon referring to it as a "harassment ride" no matter how often they try to correct you. "Harrassment" is an ugly word that intimidates management, puts them on the defensive, and makes them think of lawsuits.

2. When they first get on car in the morning, look right at them, smile, and ask..."so are you here to cooperate with me on improving things, or are you just going to play with your stopwatch and waste your time trying to harass me into working faster?"

3. Refuse to engage in conversation or even acknowledge anything that they say to you while the vehice is in motion. Inform them that you are too busy trying to drive safely and utilize the Ten Point Comentary while you are driving to focus on anything they are saying. If they insist upon talking anyway, then pull the truck over to the side of the road, secure the brake, turn on the four-ways, look at your watch, and politely ask them to continue. You will usually only have to do this 2 or 3 times before they get the message and shut up.

4. If they are walking ahead of you and they open the door, stand there and allow it to shut. Then open it for yourself and walk through.

5. During pickups a favorite method of mine....and you have to be FAST to pull this one off...is to stop, secure the vehicle and get out of your seat so quickly that they havent even had time to unbuckle or grab their clipboard. I will get right into the sups face and crowd him if he is holding me up and keeping me from exiting the vehicle on the passenger side. This makes them nervous, which causes them to fumble the clipboard and seatbelt even more. I have even politely told them that need them to pick up the pace because they are slowing me down. When leaving, refuse to start the ignition until the sup is buckled in. If he starts getting rattled it will make him fumble with the belt even more, and it will put him on the spot for delaying you.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Will you guys stop it, my god. Every center has drivers who are just not motivated to do the job well. Stop trying to come up with excuses for it. You'd think I attacked you guys.

I've seen them usually 2 hours more paid over then anyone else to run the route.[/QUOTE

We have some dogs, sly dogs.