Maybe we don't have it that bad?

FedExRookie

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm playing devil's advocate to the usual consensus on this board that FedEx Express is horrible.

http://economy.money.cnn.com/2014/03/06/workplace-health-insurance/?iid=HP_LN

The link above states that cost have increased significantly throughout corporate america for their employees. While you may argue that the reasons given by the employers are bullcrap, that is not the point in this thread, I am trying to show that FedEx Express isn't the only company raising insurance premiums and deductibles.

I think this article honestly takes out the argument that we are getting screwed by 'Fred' and his crew in regards to insurance. There is still bad raises, none for handlers, and them skimming in other places. (no more shift premiums for example)

barnyard

KTM rider
Check out the wages at regional and local carriers. We have a regional based here, they make about 2/3's what FEE drivers make. Their feeder drivers start at $12/hour and they have to unload their trailers.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Maybe, what's really needed is a "reel-in" on medical "expenses".
Here's an example: I went to a Dr. recently, for a "check-up" (not a physical)
Bill to me: $300.
Where do they come up with these costs?

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I proposed this on Facebook earlier tonight:

What effect would a 30 day curtailment of advertisement have on a company such as Coca-cola?

And if they took said advertising dollars and gave it to employees instead.

MAKAVELI

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm playing devil's advocate to the usual consensus on this board that FedEx Express is horrible.

http://economy.money.cnn.com/2014/03/06/workplace-health-insurance/?iid=HP_LN

The link above states that cost have increased significantly throughout corporate america for their employees. While you may argue that the reasons given by the employers are bullcrap, that is not the point in this thread, I am trying to show that FedEx Express isn't the only company raising insurance premiums and deductibles.

I think this article honestly takes out the argument that we are getting screwed by 'Fred' and his crew in regards to insurance. There is still bad raises, none for handlers, and them skimming in other places. (no more shift premiums for example)
There are two main reasons for this, explains Randall Abbott, senior consultant at Towers Watson. One is because employers want their workers to be more aware of the true cost of health care. If employees have to pay more themselves, the thinking goes, they may be more conservative and cost-conscious in making doctor appointments and getting tests and procedures.

This is the exact wording given to us as to one reason they changed our plan this year. Basically FedEx , because they pay the claims wants us to " shop around " for procedures and decide what is really "necessary". If you can't see the bs in this thinking, I really don't know what to tell you. They have no business sticking there nose in my family's healthcare decisions.

bbsam

Staff member
Check out the wages at regional and local carriers. We have a regional based here, they make about 2/3's what FEE drivers make. Their feeder drivers start at $12/hour and they have to unload their trailers.
I suggested the same thing the other day but people around here think the only comparable job to Express is UPS.

FedExRookie

I proposed this on Facebook earlier tonight:

What effect would a 30 day curtailment of advertisement have on a company such as Coca-cola?

And if they took said advertising dollars and gave it to employees instead.

*facepalm*

That's not the point, cost for employees are going up everywhere throughout corporations in America. I'm not debating whether the rhetoric used to justify the increase is legitimate or not.

The general consensus on this board is that FedEx is screwing us over bad, worse than other places relative to healthcare cost, and that doesn't seem to be the point.

On the cell, expect a lot of auto corrected words.

MAKAVELI

*facepalm*

That's not the point, cost for employees are going up everywhere throughout corporations in America. I'm not debating whether the rhetoric used to justify the increase is legitimate or not.

The general consensus on this board is that FedEx is screwing us over bad, worse than other places relative to healthcare cost, and that doesn't seem to be the point.

On the cell, expect a lot of auto corrected words.
Wrong is wrong. Doesn't matter that it is happening in other companies. The general consensus is that FedEx is screwing us while making $billions. Yes it is happening throughout America. But that doesn't make it right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is the exact wording given to us as to one reason they changed our plan this year. Basically FedEx , because they pay the claims wants us to " shop around " for procedures and decide what is really "necessary". If you can't see the bs in this thinking, I really don't know what to tell you. They have no business sticking there nose in my family's healthcare decisions.

While I totally agree that no corporation has the right to involve themselves in my family's healthcare decisions, I do agree that they have the right to "personalize" our healthcare by making us realize that when we do seek medical care that it is our money that we are spending and that we should do whatever we can, short of jeopardizing our well being, to lower our healthcare costs.

Our local recently added co-pays to our medical insurance in an effort to curb costs. Prior to this members were going to the ER for medical issues which really could have waited until they were able to visit their primary care physician. Since adding the co-pays ($100 ER/$10 Doctor) our health care costs have decreased dramatically.

Spend the money as though it were coming out of your own pocket because in essence it is.

bbsam

Staff member
Wrong is wrong. Doesn't matter that it is happening in other companies. The general consensus is that FedEx is screwing us while making $billions. Yes it is happening throughout America. But that doesn't make it right.
True. But you weren't walking the lines with fast food workers or WalMart workers when they were making the same protests.

MAKAVELI

While I totally agree that no corporation has the right to involve themselves in my family's healthcare decisions, I do agree that they have the right to "personalize" our healthcare by making us realize that when we do seek medical care that it is our money that we are spending and that we should do whatever we can, short of jeopardizing our well being, to lower our healthcare costs.

Our local recently added co-pays to our medical insurance in an effort to curb costs. Prior to this members were going to the ER for medical issues which really could have waited until they were able to visit their primary care physician. Since adding the co-pays ($100 ER/$10 Doctor) our health care costs have decreased dramatically.

Spend the money as though it were coming out of your own pocket because in essence it is.
Oh the humanity! $10 to go see a doctor or $100 to go to the ER. Give me a freakin break dude. Let me know when you are paying $400 + a month just in premiums.

bbsam

Staff member
No I was busy working, but neither were you. What's your excuse?
They would have been busy working except they had DECIDED THEY WERE DONE GETTING SCREWED AND WERE READY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Apparently things at Express aren't quite that bad after all.

MAKAVELI

They would have been busy working except they had DECIDED THEY WERE DONE GETTING SCREWED AND WERE READY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Apparently things at Express aren't quite that bad after all.
Yes , not quite as bad as your drivers are getting. But you don't have anything to do with that, do you? Hypocrite.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh the humanity! $10 to go see a doctor or $100 to go to the ER. Give me a freakin break dude. Let me know when you are paying $400 + a month just in premiums.
Upstate does have a point. It's similar to the one thing I ever agreed with Limbaugh about. If every worker had to write out a check for taxes every week, they would absolutely demand government accountability, professionalism, and effectiveness.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes , not quite as bad as your drivers are getting. But you don't have anything to do with that, do you? Hypocrite.
They can walk, as can you. I don't complain about my job and do nothing about it. I don't insist that I am trapped. I don't spit hatred at Fred and cash the paycheck every week. Perhaps you simply do not know the meaning of the word. Or maybe it hits too close to home.

MAKAVELI

Upstate does have a point. It's similar to the one thing I ever agreed with Limbaugh about. If every worker had to write out a check for taxes every week, they would absolutely demand government accountability, professionalism, and effectiveness.
Like I pointed out. We already write a check every week for our premiums. Something you and upstate are not recognizing. Let me put it this way. If you pay, oh let's say $400 for a burger. Well that burger better be the best damn burger you ever tasted.