"Mechanical" Delays

El Morado Diablo

Is anyone else having a rash of "mechanical" delays with their trunk aircraft?

We've had 4 or 5 in the past couple of months. Every time it's been on a Friday. I have customers who are starting to mock me when they ask why their Priority packages are late and I tell them it was a "mechanical" delay. It's kind of funny listening to them question the reliability of our aircraft, how many drinks the pilots had the night before and whether or not people show up for work at the Hub on Fridays. I just smile and tell them I'm sure "mechanical" covers everything weather delays doesn't cover.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is anyone else having a rash of "mechanical" delays with their trunk aircraft?

We've had 4 or 5 in the past couple of months. Every time it's been on a Friday. I have customers who are starting to mock me when they ask why their Priority packages are late and I tell them it was a "mechanical" delay. It's kind of funny listening to them question the reliability of our aircraft, how many drinks the pilots had the night before and whether or not people show up for work at the Hub on Fridays. I just smile and tell them I'm sure "mechanical" covers everything weather delays doesn't cover.

When we have a "mechanical" or "weather" delay, there is no longer as service commitment. Looking beneath the covers, what I think is really happening is that the system is faltering badly, most likely due to cutbacks and the October announcements. FedEx lies (nothing new there) about a "breakdown" to cover themselves.

If my district is any indication of the way the rest of the country is running (and I think it is), FedEx is in trouble operationally.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Most of the time whenever there's a so called "mechanical delay" the amount of frieht we do get is on the heavy side which suggests there was no "mechanical delay" at all and more than likely Memphis just couldn't handle the volume 'cause Fred's too cheap to adequately staff the hub and/or the ramps.

Lordtekk

When we have a "mechanical" or "weather" delay, there is no longer as service commitment. Looking beneath the covers, what I think is really happening is that the system is faltering badly, most likely due to cutbacks and the October announcements. FedEx lies (nothing new there) about a "breakdown" to cover themselves.

If my district is any indication of the way the rest of the country is running (and I think it is), FedEx is in trouble operationally.
Correct me if I'm wrong but there still is a service commitment for mechanical delays. I work out of a station at a ramp but have not really experienced any delay's this month. Must be happening in other parts of the country but the South so far has not been affected.

whenIgetthere

Correct me if I'm wrong but there still is a service commitment for mechanical delays. I work out of a station at a ramp but have not really experienced any delay's this month. Must be happening in other parts of the country but the South so far has not been affected.

The only delays we've seen lately are due to heavy traffic on the interstate, but amazingly we are told they are mechanical delays! LMAO

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Actually, I think you're right. "Acts of God" void the service guarantee, but not aircraft breakdowns. Watch for them to change the policy if it covers their ass. My customers know that if I'm late, it is something beyond my control.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Mechanics use to implement a "slow down" back when they wanted more pay. We had Mechanical Delays constantly/

When Fred eliminated all of the shift premiums, it didn't apply to either vehicle or aircraft mechanics. The reason? Both groups are small enough to unionize much more easily than couriers, and they can put the hurt on the company easily by finding "problems". I'd love to see them pave the way for the rest of us.

When Fred eliminated all of the shift premiums, it didn't apply to either vehicle or aircraft mechanics. The reason? Both groups are small enough to unionize much more easily than couriers, and they can put the hurt on the company easily by finding "problems". I'd love to see them pave the way for the rest of us.

Shift Premiums were eliminated for all mechanics hired after June 2003? At least I think it was 2003. But I do know they were eliminated.