Mechanics under same contract,same union, different progression?

HI,

I am a mechanic for UPS in Nampa Idaho with local 483. I started with the company 08-06-12. I am still/was in progression, also one of the ones the company is saying they overpaid when the retro checks were sent out. When they filed the grievance my pay was docked to my starting wage. My two year anniversary was on 08-06-14. With that being said, there is another mechanic that was hired a year and a half before me in Feb. of 2011. We were both hired under the same contract, in the same Union, same everything. He progressed to top rate in two years. The same schedule I was following until the retro checks came out and all of this started. Although he went a few months past his anniversary date, they sent him a letter saying that there was an audit and that he was on a two year progression. So they sent him a retro check to back pay him to his seniority date, and bumped him up to top rate. Now I am being told that I am on a 3 year progression. When I ask them about the other mechanic they just say they'll look into it, or there must have been a mistake. When I bring it up with the local union I get no response. Any ideas? Somebody was telling me that if they paid him like that, then they have to pay me the same. Because it sets a presedence?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
HI,

I am a mechanic for UPS in Nampa Idaho with local 483. I started with the company 08-06-12. I am still/was in progression, also one of the ones the company is saying they overpaid when the retro checks were sent out. When they filed the grievance my pay was docked to my starting wage. My two year anniversary was on 08-06-14. With that being said, there is another mechanic that was hired a year and a half before me in Feb. of 2011. We were both hired under the same contract, in the same Union, same everything. He progressed to top rate in two years. The same schedule I was following until the retro checks came out and all of this started. Although he went a few months past his anniversary date, they sent him a letter saying that there was an audit and that he was on a two year progression. So they sent him a retro check to back pay him to his seniority date, and bumped him up to top rate. Now I am being told that I am on a 3 year progression. When I ask them about the other mechanic they just say they'll look into it, or there must have been a mistake. When I bring it up with the local union I get no response. Any ideas? Somebody was telling me that if they paid him like that, then they have to pay me the same. Because it sets a presedence?
Keeping going higher up the union chain of command until someone listens.

HI,

Blame HOFFA

I will do! I've got another question, someone pointed out That the contract states: The progression for employees entering package car, feeder, or other full time job will be 3 year progression. I am a full time mechanic, but nothing is ever specified for mechanics. I had HR email payroll around when this all started, and payroll confirmed mechanics are 2yr progression, the way The other guy was paid. Talking to the shop Stuart he said the guy that's stirring up all this mess has been doing the same everywhere. That being said, does it look like I'm fighting a losing battle? Would payroll know better than this guy? I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone else, but come Monday!