medical marijuana card

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I would think UPS's opinion would be pretty clear. It's an (illegal) drug free company. Just because the state of California allows people purchase marijuana, doesn't mean UPS would allow it's work force to use it. BTW, if I'm not mistaken, it's still illegal in the eyes of federal law and users, prescribers, and dispensaries are still subject to federal prosecution.

Unless the employee is a driver it's a mute point. We have pt'rs that UPS would be happy if weed was the only thing they were on.

NI3

For some ups employees it is legal now. What's your take on this and what do you think UPS's take on this if we had our card.

Consuming a beer is not illegal but employer does not have to allow employees to drink during lunch. State Supreme Court decision in 2010 ruled that testing positive for marijuana is a valid reason for termination regardless of having a prescription or not.

Oregon High Court Rules in Favor of Employers in Medical Marijuana Case | Inc.com

It's a unique confusion. It's not often that we have something that is prohibited by Federal law(marijuana is prohibited as having no approved medical use, hence DEA schedule I) but ok at state level. I thought that in the event of a conflict, Federal law wins over State law.

UPS isn't going give anyone the OK to due dope. It's becomes a liability issue.

Don't ask don't tell. The minute they fire someone with a card they'll sue for mandatory testing of all employees since thats UPS's grounds for termination and when 1/2 minimum of the pt'rs we have are now ineligible to work then what?

AKX

No way too much liabilty. I can understand why UPS doesnt test part timers due to the revolving door but I cant for the life of me understand why they dont test us delivery guys. For a company with such an emphasis on safety it seems like a no brainer.

tourists24

No way too much liabilty. I can understand why UPS doesnt test part timers due to the revolving door but I cant for the life of me understand why they dont test us delivery guys. For a company with such an emphasis on safety it seems like a no brainer.
If safety were the issue, then UPS would demand a contract change

Indecisi0n

Because it cost money.