Members Not Voting

brownelf

We had the same problems also regarding these meetings, it really got bad after our state passed RTW laws. They tried everything to keep me away from the newbies, it took me awhile to find the best way around their tactics. So I joined the safety committee which allowed me access to both the newbies and the safety mentoring and accident investigation reports they would delay me access to. It's really up to the steward to find ways to make contact with newbies. Unfortunately it's getting hard to find stewards willing to go the extra mile nowadays. Many use the title to gain favor with their management team or to save on union dues. These stewards don't ever go to union meetings or training and should be replaced, but until someone steps up and makes that commitment they'll be a cancer to our union. Many on this forum would make excellent stewards if only they would step up to the plate and give it a shot.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We had the same problems also regarding these meetings, it really got bad after our state passed RTW laws. They tried everything to keep me away from the newbies, it took me awhile to find the best way around their tactics. So I joined the safety committee which allowed me access to both the newbies and the safety mentoring and accident investigation reports they would delay me access to. It's really up to the steward to find ways to make contact with newbies. Unfortunately it's getting hard to find stewards willing to go the extra mile nowadays. Many use the title to gain favor with their management team or to save on union dues. These stewards don't ever go to union meetings or training and should be replaced, but until someone steps up and makes that commitment they'll be a cancer to our union. Many on this forum would make excellent stewards if only they would step up to the plate and give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Safety Committee thing. They've been trying to get me to join, but the whole thing is just such a circle jerk, the idea makes me kinda sick. Plus, I'm not much of an early riser. I assumed these things were being handled by another steward, and/or the BA, but I am thinking they are not. Just another example of a lack of communication and coordination. I would have been happy to have taken on the role of new hire orientation if the BA or other Steward told me that's what they needed from me.

brownelf

The last thing I ever wanted to do was join the safety committee. It felt like a sell out to me, but it really helped me get in the loop early on accidents. Being there at the beginning of investigations gave me the opportunity to stop many guys from being charged for them. The mentoring got me face to face with the newbies early on to prevent them from making the mistakes the management team would DQ or fire them for. They remember who helps them learn and keep the job, and it really worked to get them on board with the idea of union membership advantages.

Inthegame

What do you do when the local is crooked and members still vote the same people in? Easy to see the apathy
Run against them, win, and eliminate the "crooked."
when the system is crooked you just have to ignore it and live your life. Wasting time and energy on things that you can't control will not help anyone including your own mind
But you can control it with effort. I didn't believe running against long term incumbents who I considered deficient was wasting time, and neither does others who have stood up and got involved.

Thank God we have some members with enough backbone to fight for others.

Then again if you consider their effort a waste, you're more of a problem than those you accuse.
You're not wrong.
Yes he is...almost always.

Inthegame

Thanks for the suggestion on the Safety Committee thing. They've been trying to get me to join, but the whole thing is just such a circle jerk, the idea makes me kinda sick. Plus, I'm not much of an early riser. I assumed these things were being handled by another steward, and/or the BA, but I am thinking they are not. Just another example of a lack of communication and coordination. I would have been happy to have taken on the role of new hire orientation if the BA or other Steward told me that's what they needed from me.
Our local strongly suggest our stewards join and steer the safety committees. I'd be surprised if your locals leadership didn't encourage steward involvement. Without stewards present, wannabe kissass sups have free reign.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Run against them, win, and eliminate the "crooked."

But you can control it with effort. I didn't believe running against long term incumbents who I considered deficient was wasting time, and neither does others who have stood up and got involved.

Thank God we have some members with enough backbone to fight for others.

Then again if you consider their effort a waste, you're more of a problem than those you accuse.

Yes he is...almost always.

In the general sense he is not. Specifically he was telling me to not bother in this case, because it is hopeless. I disagree with that, but not with the general message that some things are out of our control. Waiting years and years to run against crooked people is not a very practical solution to the problem of corruption, though.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
In the general sense he is not. Specifically he was telling me to not bother in this case, because it is hopeless. I disagree with that, but not with the general message that some things are out of our control. Waiting years and years to run against crooked people is not a very practical solution to the problem of corruption, though.
Please tell me what is out of anyone's control if they put their minds to it?
Buddies of mine endured two tight races for office and the third time won hands down. Not just the three I know but their whole slate. Cleaned house. If they had the mindset that things were out of their control they'd have given up after two losses.

There's nothing impossible to people with the resolve to change their situation in this union.

It's like chopping a tree. You may get tired and discouraged but when it finally falls after the last chop you can say that it wasnt impossible after all.
when the system is crooked you just have to ignore it and live your life. Wasting time and energy on things that you can't control will not help anyone including your own mind
Reminds me of the miner who gave up digging ten feet from the largest gold vein in history.

Do you want something changed? What are you willing to give up to see it change? That's the question. We dont need shepherds who just watch the sheep get eaten. We need some shepherds who will assault the predators that feed off the sheep.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Please tell me what is out of anyone's control if they put their minds to it?
Buddies of mine endured two tight races for office and the third time won hands down. Not just the three I know but their whole slate. Cleaned house. If they had the mindset that things were out of their control they'd have given up after two losses.

There's nothing impossible to people with the resolve to change their situation in this union.

It's like chopping a tree. You may get tired and discouraged but when it finally falls after the last chop you can say that it wasnt impossible after all.

Reminds me of the miner who gave up digging ten feet from the largest gold vein in history.

Do you want something changed? What are you willing to give up to see it change? That's the question. We dont need shepherds who just watch the sheep get eaten. We need some shepherds who will assault the predators that feed off the sheep.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I can tell you there are plenty of things that are out of my control, in general (I can't change the way the gravitational forces of Jupiter affect the Earth, for an extreme example) . I don't think fixing the problems at my local is one of them.

The actions required to actually fix those problems may not, however, be practical for the resources I have available to me. That's why discussing the issues is important, someone out there might have some information, or can share an experience, that is helpful for your particular situation.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I can tell you there are plenty of things that are out of my control, in general (I can't change the way the gravitational forces of Jupiter affect the Earth, for an extreme example) .

Seriously? This is the union forum not the universe forum.

What I am saying is quit saying "I cant" when it's a good possibility that you "can".

I know people who seemingly failed repeatedly but didn't give up and finally overcame their local representation that sucked.

I can't explain it more clearly than that.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Seriously? This is the union forum not the universe forum.

What I am saying is quit saying "I cant" when it's a good possibility that you "can".

I know people who seemingly failed repeatedly but didn't give up and finally overcame their local representation that sucked.

I can't explain it more clearly than that.

Ok, you win.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Ok, you win.
Screenshot_20191231-225906_Google.jpg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The company is supposed to inform the locals of times and dates of orientations for new hires so they can have a steward or BA attend to talk about the union. Our center, and it sounds like many other locations as well, weasel out of this requirement by not holding orientations.

That's (really) only applicable to RTW states.

"Business agents and/or a steward shall be permitted to attend new employee orientations to talk about the benefits of Union membership. The Employer agrees to provide the Local Union at least one week’s notice of the date, time, and location of such orientation. Upon request, the Union representative will be given a list of the names of the employees attending orientation no later than at the meeting.

The sole purpose of the business agent’s or steward’s attendance shall be to encourage new employees to join the Union. The steward shall remain on the clock for up to fifteen (15) minutes for that purpose if the orientation is held during his or her normal working hours at his or her normal place of work."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

It is only an option, not a requirement.

But in a RTW state.... why wouldn't a Local be pro-active in doing so ?

-Bug-

That's (really) only applicable to RTW states.

"Business agents and/or a steward shall be permitted to attend new employee orientations to talk about the benefits of Union membership. The Employer agrees to provide the Local Union at least one week’s notice of the date, time, and location of such orientation. Upon request, the Union representative will be given a list of the names of the employees attending orientation no later than at the meeting.

The sole purpose of the business agent’s or steward’s attendance shall be to encourage new employees to join the Union. The steward shall remain on the clock for up to fifteen (15) minutes for that purpose if the orientation is held during his or her normal working hours at his or her normal place of work."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

It is only an option, not a requirement.

But in a RTW state.... why wouldn't a Local be pro-active in doing so ?

-Bug-
So it is only in RTW states that the Union has to "sell" itself to new members. How the Union fought for their minimum wage part time job with no benefits. Must be a tough sell.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So it is only in RTW states that the Union has to "sell" itself to new members.

Unless you want to be an "agency fee" payer, with no voting rights.

How the Union fought for their minimum wage part time job with no benefits.

You are pre-1982 and "red circled".

Those days are gone.

(Scratching my head)

You seem to abuse that.... knowingly.

I don't blame you, for taking advantage of ignorant management.