Mentors

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center actually did that this past week, moving the preload start time back 15 minutes, which may not sound like much to someone off the street but we all know that 15 minutes can be a lifetime. Driver start time is 0850 (0830 on Monday as all our loads are here on Saturday except NDA) and we were pushing 0910-0920 leaving the bldg so they pushed the time back and we have left bldg NLT 0900 all week, most days just after PCM. What difference can 15 minutes make? I can have WalMart done and be on my way to Sam's Club in 15 minutes.

15 minutes times 20 or so part time employees wage is most certainly a lot less than 15 mins times 26-30 drivers wage plus 1/2 so to me this was a no-brainer.

barnyard

KTM rider
In our center, there are not really mentors. When I was p/t, I met with every preload new hire and went over safety and what was expected and what was not.

As a driver, those of us on the safety co. are asked to introduce ourselves and check in with new drivers frequently. I know 3/4's of the routes in my center and I try and pass on the same help that I received when I was learning them.

The biggest thing is letting new people photocopy maps. Most experienced cover drivers have well-marked maps with notes and number breaks and bizarre sequencing notes. When I am going over a route, rather than go through "what door," I try to point out the stuff that can result in a send again.

TB

SmithBarney

We started the driver Mentor program before I left...
sad part was I had a better driving record than my
"mentor" of 13 years service. The mentor program
was really a joke, time to hang out some more...

I just know that a senior driver can pick you to mentor you. That’s what happened with one of the guys that did the training with me. He went in on Tuesday and someone decided to mentor him and now he works full weeks

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I just know that a senior driver can pick you to mentor you. That’s what happened with one of the guys that did the training with me. He went in on Tuesday and someone decided to mentor him and now he works full weeks

Don’t really think that’s how it works

quad decade guy

Curious this mythical creature: The Mentor. A few years ago, we got new mgt(sort of) and many new "programs" and "attitudes" were "started". One was the mentor idea. Old hands spoke of it in the past. But once implemented, it quickly went away. Seems, only top hands were "selected" and well just because you are a top hand doesn't mean you are very good at anything. Some of our top hands are the sorriest, most unsafe, bad habit individuals in our operation. Mgt. quickly realized how much "unproductive" time was being consumed and the program ended before it really had any chance. Just like any promising idea at UPS. Once any avenue for more pay or any hint of leadership(of any sort) is detected, the Union quickly stops it dead in it's tracks unless a Steward can take over(safety and such)(usually a top hand).

Personally, I like the idea of experienced folks being involved in a new persons development instead of a 30 day wonder that's literally never done the job(this is stupid). However, I've NEVER had any mgt. care or even ask my thoughts on anything at UPS. Strange as a 40 year never injury, Circle of Honor driver survivor with tons of experience and training. But someone higher up thinks promoting anyone especially minority, gender biased, no experience is the way to go. Despite the dismal retention rate and safety record.

In flying, a new hire is paired with an experienced captain and they are "mentored" until experienced. Military same way as well as many other businesses.

In my opinion, the idea of experienced "employees" training of any sort will never work at UPS at it current configuration(Union based). The idea of Mgt. vs. Union is unworkable. The contract language and attitudes(us vs. them) won't allow it. Based on the idea of a mentor program "job" as a seniority bid simply won't work. Again, just because you are top seniority, doesn't mean you are good at anything or should be doing anything.

Mentoring works anywhere on the planet except UPS.

I don’t have a mentor officially but I did model myself after two drivers specifically in my center. They take their hour and 10 every single day and never touch packages during breaks.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Mentors primarily don't work because what does work goes against the methods these new hires are targeted to do. There are dozens of "alternative methods" I use for preload and dozens more I learned as a driver helper that actively harm my chances at actually qualifying besides overall speed.