Mercedes 4.7 & Cummins 6.7

Monsterlips

looking at a few new trucks. Some have the Mercedes with mileage of 36k, some have a Cummins with mileage around 60k. Please share your experience with the two motors. Thanks.

bacha29

looking at a few new trucks. Some have the Mercedes with mileage of 36k, some have a Cummins with mileage around 60k. Please share your experience with the two motors. Thanks.
The trouble with those little engines is that while they might be easier on fuel they have to work so hard to make power especially if you deliver on a hilly terrain. The 6.7 Cummins is rated as high as 385hp depending on how they are set up. And as Tim " the tool man Taylor" always said...." more power" well you got it with that 6.7. You do have to use DEF and the tappets have to be adjusted at 150,000 and there will probably come a time when you have to replace injectors and if it were to happen.....DO NOT USE REMANUFACTURED INJECTORS. It's a costly lesson I had to learn the hard way on my 5.9 which was about the only thing I had to do to it and it had 350,000 on it when I sold the unit 2 years ago and it's still out there every day.

outtatime

I know the Cummings has been around for quite awhile and is used in many different applications. It's a strong engine with parts readily available almost everywhere and any diesel mechanic knows how to work on them. With proper maintenance it should outlast the truck itself. Express W700 and W900's use it and I've seen some with over 300K easily.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Most of the German Powerplant vans were sold off to other contractors who didn't know that German parts means more $ to maintain, right?

DEF, on both of those options? Even more of a headache. U can't keep the older diesels on board? I still see quite a few still

bacha29

Most of the German Powerplant vans were sold off to other contractors who didn't know that German parts means more $ to maintain, right?

DEF, on both of those options? Even more of a headache. U can't keep the older diesels on board? I still see quite a few still
if you are lucky enough to find a 7.3 Powerstroke or a 5.9 Cummins in good condition grab it but run as far as you can from the GM 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. They are sleeveless car engines converted to diesel and they have a bad habit of cracking heads. What made the 5.9 so popular was that due to the fact that it was an inline 6 it had 40% fewer moving parts

It will be fine

Cummins is fantastic. If you have a Cummins dealer nearby they can't be beat, service is exceptional. Most of my fleet has Cummins engines. I've got quite a few closing in on 300k miles with few issues.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know the Cummings has been around for quite awhile and is used in many different applications. It's a strong engine with parts readily available almost everywhere and any diesel mechanic knows how to work on them. With proper maintenance it should outlast the truck itself. Express W700 and W900's use it and I've seen some with over 300K easily.

The differences between the old 12V and 24V 5.9 Cummins and the new 6.7 are huge. The days of a diesel lasting 500k or more are largely over, as is decent mileage. DEF/REGEN motors simply don't last, and are frequently down for emissions issues.

I get 23 mpg in my 12V PV, and friends with the new 6.7 are lucky to get 14. All of them have had major emissions issues by 50k.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Mercedes cars and trucks have horrible reliability ratings for the last 5 years or so.

bbsam

Staff member
I have a couple cummins powered trucks up for sale. They've been decent enough. Still like the old internationals, 2 98's and a 2003 but nobody wants to drive that stuff.

FedGT

About 80% of my fleet by the time I sold were cummins, they are the best. My old internationals weren't maintained by previous contractor and cost more to run on a monthly basis then buying brand new trucks. Had 2 Ford 1200s two which were nice but had to fill up every other day, terrible mpg.

FedGT

Keep in mind buying these kind of trucks used, you inherit the previous guys problems. I started buying new and it saved me tens of thousands of dollars not even counting the "lease payment" write off.

blacksox

Keep a eye out for used diesels coming out of California in the next few years the state is forcing out old CMV diesels 10,000# or more it is called CARB. This year any 97 or older can not be used anymore next year the 98s and so on, then by 2021 you have to have a 2010 or newer to operate in the state. Good way to pick up a spare truck or extra peak truck.